Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2021, 04:53 PM   #1
carlrx7
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27783
Montana Solar Install lessons learned

Hey MOC,

Please share your aftermarket solar installs and any pictures. I'm looking for some lessons learned before I make the dive.

I have a good understanding of all solar components, and have a victron inverter already installed. Looking for specifics with your install on the Montana.

-cb

Old 09-04-2021, 06:07 PM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We have the Super Solar system, but I already have some lessons learned. First, lithium batteries are the best. Use your shunted battery gage help you determine how many amp hours you need. The Super Solar undersized the charge controllers. Go 50 amp charge controllers. Good luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:20 PM   #3
Jersquared
Established Member

M.O.C. #22311
Only took the 1 photo. I went with all Renogy products... The panels are 175w flexible panels... I went with flexible so I could just tape them down and not have to penetrate the roof. The charge controller is a 40a mppt controller in case I was wanting to upgrade the system in the future. For me this small system is perfect.. I really only use it to keep my batteries charged when I'm camping without shore power.... I'm not sure what all I could run if I had an inverter, but I can tell you, the one time we used it for a sustained period of time... We were not getting any sun until about 9a , I want to say the max it was producing was just north of 18ah and by the end of the day the system had generated 124ah I was happy with this performance, I'm guessing the girlfriend and I only consume around 80ah during normal use. This first day /night test was leaving as much on during the day as we could and then really turning up the furnace at night.... The rest of the trip the charge controller was shut off before 2p as the system was fully charged... I also run 4 trojan 6v batteries.

Jer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210509_160611.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	10276  
Jersquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:10 PM   #4
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
2520 watts at 150vdc (un-temp corrected) driving a Victron 250/100 SmartSolar charger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FE4573E5-705B-4A8C-B8B2-A0960E9003E3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	446.1 KB
ID:	10290  
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:51 PM   #5
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
How did you guys route your wiring from Panels to Charge controller?
How did you mount your panels?
Install any type of disconnect or breaker between panels and charge controller?
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:30 PM   #6
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
How did you guys route your wiring from Panels to Charge controller?
How did you mount your panels?
Install any type of disconnect or breaker between panels and charge controller?
Some manufacturer’s run cable to the roof as a part of the build. On our old Montana I utilized a tank vent with cable glands to exit the wiring in the basement. If you cannot seal the opening don’t use the vent stacks. There is always a void or channel that will allow you to push a conduit from the roof downward.

In my case I used Midnite Solar breakers for the PV disconnect and the MPPT output. These breakers are rated properly for continuous duty. Other types of disconnects are permissible and it’s really what fits your needs.

In most cases, but not all, the roof sheeting material is sufficient for holding mounting feet. On our old rig I used residential panels and had no issues with the sheeting material supporting the panels and any wind shear. If the roofing material is not at least 1/2 I would be looking to hit truss material.

I am also a fan of AM Solars stainless steel tilt mount brackets. If you don’t intend to tilt they are an expensive option.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote