Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2021, 09:19 AM   #1
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
camera on back of fifth wheel

I just bought a new 3500 chev truck and was thinking of adding a rear view camera to my 2021 295rl fifth wheel. I checked the chev dealership and they sell a camera kit that will work with the infotainment screen already in the truck. My question is has anybody had or installed one of these kits where the cable is run from the camera mount just below the rear clearance lights to the front of the trailer where it can be plugged into the truck receptacle designed for this camera? How and where should the cable be run down the backside of the coach to the underbelly or does it come prewired somehow..

ojo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:00 AM   #2
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Yes I did. You have plenty of cable to do it. I had mine mounted top center, ran the wiring across to the ladder, down the backside of the ladder, then underneath the rig. I used screw in wire stays on the underneath part, and self adhesive ones on the few area on the back of the RV. I ran it underneath and over to the driver's side front leveler and then into the battery compartment. From there I notched the bottom of the front battery/cargo door and then plugged in. On one trip I did not leave enough slack in the cable and broke the end that plugs in and rendered the camera useless. I removed the whole thing. The picture though was perfect and you could keep the camera on as long as you wanted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2517.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	10076   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2518.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	10077   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2552.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	10078  
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote