Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2021, 06:26 PM   #1
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
MicroAir - first test

Thank goodness for MicroAir soft starts.
We lost power and internet at the S&B this morning. It happens more than I would like to admit out here in the sticks. Power company initially said power would return early afternoon, then a follow up text predicted 10:00 pm. It’s 97* outside in the shade and getting hotter.

I fired up my old champion 3500 inverter, plugged in and turned on the living room 15k AC unit. It worked as advertised and cooled things down to tolerable. I did not want to press my luck and turn on the bedroom 13k unit. We watched TV and ate supper in the RV. S&B power returned sooner than promised. Glad we had the opportunity to test the champion genny and the MicroAir soft start.

Edit: if I had not been reading this forum I would not know what a soft start was - so many thanks to all of you teachers out there.

Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:47 PM   #2
carlrx7
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27783
I went with the EasyStart as well. Using a coupon i was able to get them cheaper than the SoftStartRv. Still waiting for them to ship though. I only have a 2000w(1600w running) predator generator. DW gave me the approval for the Champion 4650w Inverter/Gen as long as it has the wireless fob, lol.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:51 PM   #3
SouthwestCVO
Established Member

M.O.C. #29271
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlrx7 View Post
I went with the EasyStart as well. Using a coupon i was able to get them cheaper than the SoftStartRv. Still waiting for them to ship though. I only have a 2000w(1600w running) predator generator. DW gave me the approval for the Champion 4650w Inverter/Gen as long as it has the wireless fob, lol.
Where did you get the coupon? I'd like to get two units but they're pricey!
SouthwestCVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 06:23 AM   #4
carlrx7
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27783
from the "airstream" forum $40 off.

Note, we lost power the other night and I was able to plug the whole rig into the 2000w factory inverter, with the fridge running, it started and ran the front a/c. fyi, a cold fridge and 1 a/c pull 1600 watts. battery was getting a nice workout. *555AH
Old 08-21-2021, 07:35 AM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If you have onlt one SoftStartRV (or Micro Air EZ start), and need to run both A/C on a small generator, make sure all 120vac loads are turned off ( including your converter circuit breaker).
Start the A/C without the SoftStartRV first. It will draw a large surge current as the compressor spins up to speed. Wait a few minutes until it Stabilizes. Then start the A /C with the SoftStartRV. It will NOT surge (current) because the SoftStartRV allows the compressor to start slowly.
People have reported running 2 A/Cs on a 3000W generator or smaller.
I have 552AH of lithium batteries. I want to try running my SoftStartRV A/C on my 2000W inverter one of these days. I just have to do some rewiring first.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote