Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2021, 08:26 AM   #1
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
RV Pricing

RV pricing for the future. I am afraid this will stop a lot of people from ordering. Since this is coming from the manufactures, dealer will be forced to go along with this. Will prices come sum day, probably. Just like the price of gas price goes up quick, goes back down over a very long time.

https://youtu.be/57ITzduTsBw

fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:35 AM   #2
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
Interesting development.

I called my dealer yesterday to see if he has any delivery updates on our Montana. I saw this video an hour or so later, and wonder if he'll mention any pricing when he calls back. Hoping he is as stand-up as Josh. He makes some good video's, and is a good source of information.

Allen
Old 05-12-2021, 08:04 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I work for a large commercial construction company, and this video was alarming to me. We have to source steel, wood and interior finish products very much like the RV manufacturers do. Owners, developers and architects are asking us “what are you seeing in the industry for price escalation”?

This morning after seeing this thread in the forum, I sent a link to this video out to my fellow estimators (there are 15 estimators in the Austin office) and to our local business unit leaders. Shortly after noon our chief estimator sent out an email notice from a rebar supplier about a significant price increase effective June 1. At 3:00 I got copied on a mass email from a nationwide specialties company (toilet accessories, marker boards, hospital corner guards and bed rails) stating all orders after June 1 will show 10% increase. At 4:00 one of my fellow estimators copied us all on an email notice from one of the largest glass manufacturers stating June 1 effective price increase of 8% to 10% on all orders. Large steel fabricators have been qualifying their bids since early March to be good for “15 days from the date of the quote”.

I have not seen anything like this since 1979-80-81 when I was just starting out in this business. All I can say is - folks, buckle your seatbelts.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:17 AM   #4
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Add in rising labor costs ($15 minimum wage is just around the corner) and inflation will get worse before it gets better. Wherever you get your goods and services they will be passing on their costs to you... get used to it. Sooner or later this "bubble" will burst. Position yourselves accordingly. Don't finance depreciating assets like RVs, especially if you are not going to use it enough to justify the cost. In that case rent one. Know the difference between want and need. JMHO

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 02:52 PM   #5
o2bbassin

M.O.C. #28746
We just closed on a Montana Legacy that was one of the few in existing dealer stock on the lot. Thankfully had everything we were looking for because our salesman said 5% increase for ordered units in June and another 5% in July. This was manufacture mark up. So yes it’s gonna get worse
o2bbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:25 AM   #6
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
I think the only bright side to this ,if there is a bright side, is that the price of selling a used unit will go up also. Still will be a question of how many buyers will be willing to settle for a used unit. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 02:05 PM   #7
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatzzz View Post
I think the only bright side to this ,if there is a bright side, is that the price of selling a used unit will go up also. Still will be a question of how many buyers will be willing to settle for a used unit. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
I am still a couple years from selling, but it sounds like my RV has now become an appreciating asset especially since I negotiated a 38% discount when I bought it in fall 2017. The only problem is I was going to buy a truck camper for short trips. Might have to wait a year or two for prices to stabilize.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:44 AM   #8
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
I am still a couple years from selling, but it sounds like my RV has now become an appreciating asset especially since I negotiated a 38% discount when I bought it in fall 2017. The only problem is I was going to buy a truck camper for short trips. Might have to wait a year or two for prices to stabilize.
Your "negotiated discount" is the fair market retail price. Even with MFR price increases the fair market retail price will still reflect dealer "discounting". No consumer should ever be paying MSRP for an RV. The net of it all is fair market retail pricing will climb in concert with any increase in MSRP, used RVs however, will never keep up with new RV pricing. They may depreciate more slowly in this environment but they are still losing value. Inflation will make sure of that. Fact of life.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote