Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2021, 10:03 AM   #1
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
Lippert Tire Linc TPMS?

Has anyone used this? It looks good. I don't want to spend $500 +/- and I sure don't need another dash device so if it works well I think this may be a solution. But, I would like to know it functions well. There is also a lighter plugin sensor that will alert you when something is wrong so the phone does not have to be constantly on.

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Compo.../dp/B08CFJVZJH

tomJerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:25 AM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
No experience with this but it looks interesting. The add on that gives you warning of a tire event seems like a must-have since most of us don't have our phones on all of the time. The need to have the phone on with the app open while traveling does seem to be the down side of needing immediate notification of a problem. I also looked on their site and can't find what the max PSI is for this one. I can't imagine that Lippert would put out an RV system that would max out at 80psi, like some TPMS systems do, but would be nice to see it in writing.

There are a lot of positive reviews so when set up correctly and used as designed it must perform OK.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:25 AM   #3
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomJerram View Post
Has anyone used this? It looks good. I don't want to spend $500 +/- and I sure don't need another dash device so if it works well I think this may be a solution. But, I would like to know it functions well. There is also a lighter plugin sensor that will alert you when something is wrong so the phone does not have to be constantly on.

If I had been aware of this, I sure would of considered it. I do like the TST 507, but you sure have a point on another dash device, I do not care to deal with the monitor .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
No experience with this but it looks interesting. The add on that gives you warning of a tire event seems like a must-have since most of us don't have their phone on all of the time. The need to have the phone on with the app open while traveling does seem to be the down side of needing immediate notification of a problem. I also looked on their site and can't find what the max PSI is for this one. I can't imagine that Lippert would put out an RV system that would max out at 80psi, like some systems do, but would be nice to see it in writing.

There are a lot of positive reviews so when set up and used as designed it must perform OK.
You must be one of the rare ones, I didn't think anyone these days even let their phone out of their hand But seriously I travel with my phone on all the time ,and on bluetooth for hands free. Unless there is some big drawback to this one ,I can't see a reason for not getting it .
Old 02-09-2021, 10:40 AM   #5
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
After reading about it, I sure don't like the one minute readouts if thats what is happening , a lot can sure happen in a minute. After saying this I am assuming my TST is constantly monitoring the air, and temperature .
Old 02-09-2021, 10:49 AM   #6
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
You must be one of the rare ones, I didn't think anyone these days even let their phone out of their hand But seriously I travel with my phone on all the time ,and on blue tooth for hands free. Unless there is some big drawback to this one ,I can't see a reason for not getting it .
Ha, not all that rare . I do have my phone at the ready while traveling...mostly for calls. I guess my statement wasn't well thought out.

I was more thinking along the lines of having the phone busy with other tasks since it wouldn't be a dedicated TPMS unit. I suppose that if the phone is on and the app also on in the background then an alert should wake up the phone and show the issue? What if you're on a call? Since there is urgency when an alert occurs you would want that notification to be seen immediately, regardless of what else you are doing with your phone. If that's how it functions then it should be what any of us would need.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:04 AM   #7
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Ha, not all that rare . I do have my phone at the ready while traveling...mostly for calls. I guess my statement wasn't well thought out.

I was more thinking along the lines of having the phone busy with other tasks since it wouldn't be a dedicated TPMS unit. I suppose that if the phone is on and the app also on in the background then an alert should wake up the phone and show the issue? What if you're on a call? Since there is urgency when an alert occurs you would want that notification to be seen immediately, regardless of what else you are doing with your phone. If that's how it functions then it should be what any of us would need.
I like everything about it ,except that one minute read outs. a slow leak not a problem , a big leak could sure drain a tire in less then a minute I would think. How far can you go on a deflated tire before bad things start happening, one being compromising the other tire next to it, before an alert. Maybe I am overthinking it, but a minute is a long time in certain circumstances . Its just seems like to many unknowns for me in that minute.

If not mistaken the readout on the TST I have is just going from one tire to the next in the readout ,with no delay other then just switching tire positions . I am going to look into that .
Old 02-09-2021, 11:54 AM   #8
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
I like everything about it ,except that one minute read outs. a slow leak not a problem , a big leak could sure drain a tire in less then a minute I would think. How far can you go on a deflated tire before bad things start happening, one being compromising the other tire next to it, before an alert. Maybe I am overthinking it, but a minute is a long time in certain circumstances . Its just seems like to many unknowns for me in that minute.

If not mistaken the readout on the TST I have is just going from one tire to the next in the readout ,with no delay other then just switching tire positions . I am going to look into that .
Yeah, I agree that one minute is a very long time during rapid air loss. I have a Tire Minder TPMS. I will look into mine as well now. I just assumed that it was running in real time.

Edit: Apparently Tire Minder looks for an issue every 6 seconds and notifies immediately if there is one. Otherwise it will transmit PSI and Temp every 4 minutes when no issue is present.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:06 PM   #9
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
A minute does seem like a long time it will do nothing for the sudden blowout. But, it is better than not having a TPMS at all and I think most tire problems probably happen over a longer period of time than one minute. ie.. tire heating up or losing air and even really time monitoring isn't going to save you from hitting something in the road or a sidewall failure. I think that monitoring time is a trade-off between how often get information and how long the batteries last.

I was hoping for some feedback from someone that has actually used the lippert system.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:17 PM   #10
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
In looking at the Lippert site again it does say that it scans for issues several times a minute. I've got a question into Lippert to see exactly how many times a minute or what the interval really is.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:07 PM   #11
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
No experience with this but it looks interesting. The add on that gives you warning of a tire event seems like a must-have since most of us don't have our phones on all of the time. The need to have the phone on with the app open while traveling does seem to be the down side of needing immediate notification of a problem. I also looked on their site and can't find what the max PSI is for this one. I can't imagine that Lippert would put out an RV system that would max out at 80psi, like some TPMS systems do, but would be nice to see it in writing.

There are a lot of positive reviews so when set up correctly and used as designed it must perform OK.

On the Amazon link that was posted, there is a link to the installation manual. This is from that manual:
Sensors - Stem mount, 188 psi maximum pressure reading, -58 to 401 °F (-50 to 205 °C) temperature measurement range.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:43 AM   #12
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Looks like near instant alerts to me
CONSTANT PRESSURE/TEMPERATURE MONITORING 
Sensors update pressure and temperature several times each minute while your RV is moving and check every 15 minutes while parked. Plus, sensors notify you any time the tires inflate, deflate, or in the case of a blowout.  

If I did not have Ford's OEM TPMS I would look at this. it would be nice to know how the alerts were with App running in background
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 06:09 AM   #13
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
This solves the always-on cell phone issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Tire-LINC-Alert-Indicator-Vehicles/dp/B08MJH3NDS[/URL]
Old 02-10-2021, 08:43 AM   #14
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Looks like near instant alerts to me
CONSTANT PRESSURE/TEMPERATURE MONITORING 
Sensors update pressure and temperature several times each minute while your RV is moving and check every 15 minutes while parked. Plus, sensors notify you any time the tires inflate, deflate, or in the case of a blowout.  

If I did not have Ford's OEM TPMS I would look at this. it would be nice to know how the alerts were with App running in background

After further reading about this, I would sure consider it if I didn't already have a TPMS. As said before my son is ordering a new 2021 Ford, I would recommend this to him if that OEM TPMS wasn't available with his new truck .
Old 02-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #15
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomJerram View Post

I can't remember the last time I turned off my iPhone for more than a few seconds.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #16
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
I've got the TST monitor on my shopping list for my Summer trip this year (with flow thru sensors). Everyone says it's the best.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #17
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
After further reading about this, I would sure consider it if I didn't already have a TPMS. As said before my son is ordering a new 2021 Ford, I would recommend this to him if that OEM TPMS wasn't available with his new truck .
The OP is talking about a TPMS for his RV. The truck TPMS does nothing for the trailer.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:23 PM   #18
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
The OP is talking about a TPMS for his RV. The truck TPMS does nothing for the trailer.
I know that part, doesn't the new fords have the integrated TPMS system for the RV also ?? Additional tire sensors ?? If you read my reply again, I am referring to the OE option that the new Fords have ,no need for aftermarket, unless I misunderstood the info I have read.

To repeat ,this TPMS that is the subject here ,I would recommend it to my son buying a new 2021 Ford Superduty, but I don't thing he will have too for his fifth wheel .
Old 02-25-2021, 12:37 PM   #19
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by StageCoachDriver View Post
I've got the TST monitor on my shopping list for my Summer trip this year (with flow thru sensors). Everyone says it's the best.
I have the non flow thru, and I prefer them, just by what I have read . IMO looking at them they are pretty bulky. Also the flow thru are pretty slow getting air thru them is a complaint I have read . Its takes about 10 seconds or so to remove the non flow thru.

But I agree the TST is the best , according to how popular they are. I have the TST ,and so far so good .
Old 02-25-2021, 01:41 PM   #20
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
I know that part, doesn't the new fords have the integrated TPMS system for the RV also ?? Additional tire sensors ?? If you read my reply again, I am referring to the OE option that the new Fords have ,no need for aftermarket, unless I misunderstood the info I have read.

To repeat ,this TPMS that is the subject here ,I would recommend it to my son buying a new 2021 Ford Superduty, but I don't thing he will have too for his fifth wheel .
Don't know about the new Fords, but depending on how long the RV is, the additional sensors signals may not reach to the cab. He can always get another TPMS for the RV if they don’t reach or the system wont work for the RV. If its an option you have to pay extra for, obviously I would make sure that system will work for the RV first. Probably an expensive mistake if it doesn’t.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote