Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2020, 09:49 AM   #1
Rlates
Established Member

M.O.C. #27686
Yes another Tire Thread and another question

All,

First off, new to the club. Looking forward to gaining knowledge from everyone with years of experience.

I know there are a ton of opinions on tires and from all the research I have done I think I have it down to two selections, Wife and I just purchased a 2021 Keystone Montana 295RL (which we really like). The tires are ST235/80R 16F (12 ply).

Looking to upgrade the tires to:

Sailun ST 235/80R 16 G9 Rated/14ply (all steel)

Or

Hercules ST235/80R 16 H-901 (G rate/14 ply all steel)

Any opinions on either?

Second, could I put 85Rs on the 295RL model?

Lastly, my Black tank sensor always reads 1/2 even when drained. Any helpful hits?

Rlates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:25 AM   #2
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
What's on it now? My MHC came with Ranier LRF tires which I removed before taking possession. I had them install Sailun LRGs and have been happy. Why would you want to move to the 85 series tire?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #3
Rlates
Established Member

M.O.C. #27686
Right now the MHC came with ST235/80R 16F

I was just wondering if I could go to a 85R
Old 12-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The answer to that is yes the 85's should do fine. The Hercules are good tires, but they probably will give you a rougher ride. I'd go with the Sailuns.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #5
Rlates
Established Member

M.O.C. #27686
Thx DQ that’s the feedback I was looking for.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:05 PM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Randall,

The black tanks gauges never work well. All it takes is a piece of TP stuck near one of the sensors and it will not read well.

Dump once a week and don't look at the black tank gauge.

I also recommend the Sailuns.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:59 PM   #7
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Ditto on the Sailuns. You can go to the 85's but unless there is a compelling reason to do so I'd stick with the stock size.
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 04:00 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The Sailuns don’t give any trouble. They are inexpensive. I can’t think of any reason to not get them.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:51 AM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Ditto on the Sailuns. You can go to the 85's but unless there is a compelling reason to do so I'd stick with the stock size.
The compelling reason would be getting around 400lbs more weight capacity per tire. If there is room between the tires and above them, I would opt for the 85,s. They are only 1" taller
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:54 AM   #10
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
I think going to the 85s to gain the additional capacity is a bit of overkill; even the LRGs are to some extent. The OPs trailer weighs close to mine (his is a little lighter) and the LRFs that came on them met the new RVIA specs for reserve capacity. The LRGs take that further, to a very safe range IMO. When installing higher and higher capacity tires on a trailer there is a point of diminishing return, even no return.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:10 AM   #11
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think going to the 85s to gain the additional capacity is a bit of overkill; even the LRGs are to some extent. The OPs trailer weighs close to mine (his is a little lighter) and the LRFs that came on them met the new RVIA specs for reserve capacity. The LRGs take that further, to a very safe range IMO. When installing higher and higher capacity tires on a trailer there is a point of diminishing return, even no return.
Agreed, and there is the potential to actually increase other risks, such as creating a harsher ride, or overloading other parts of the suspension, including the wheels.
For example, most tire shops will recommend upgrading wheels to a higher load rating to match the increased load rating of the tires.

IMO, it's not as simple as it might seem, and one needs to take into account all the pieces of the puzzle, not just the tires.

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:00 PM   #12
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I don't know about Hercules, they may be okay, but I know no one has ever complained about Sailun. You can use 85s if you have the space for another 1/2" (although someone on the forum will say your breaking the rules because your mfgrs. weight sticker "requires" 80s). Lastly, I've had every style of RV and never had accurate black tank gauges.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:11 PM   #13
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I have the Hercules on mine almost 2 years now after the original Ranier blew 250 miles from home after 6 months of ownership.

My Hercules have the deepest tread I've ever seen on any tire. From all apparent appearances, they seem to be really good tires.

I don't know if they ride rough or not. I did have mine balanced, but no one rides in the camper ever, so if it's a rough ride, does it really matter?

ST235/80RR16 Hercules H-901 - 14 ply

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:34 PM   #14
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
About black tanks? It seems for some folks they work and for others they don't. Mine have always worked in 3 different travel trailers and now my Montana High Country. What do I do that might be different from everyone else?

When breaking camp, my black tank is dumped, and I always backflush the grey shower water into the black tank. With a somewhat full grey tank, I can easily backflush 3 times, each time sucking out more TP and "stuff". You need a 3rd valve, like a Flush King to close off the end and allow the grey to flush backwards into the black tank. So, first, is getting as much 'stuff' out of the black tank as possible.

Second, after dumping and backflushing the black tank, add about 5 gallons of water back to the tank and go to your next destination. The sloshing inside the tank will pulverize the sides of the tank and beat water against the sensors, thus removing any debris that stuck around.

Do this every time you break camp, and your tank sensors should work (unless there is a broken wire, or the actual sensor itself has gone bad... which is very unlikely).

Driving with TP and "stuff" in the tanks will also slosh around, but any "stuff" in the tanks will catch on the sensors. You've gained nothing. So dump first, backflush to get the extra TP out, add some clean water, and then drive! Easy to do, costs nothing after your purchase the Flush King, and works!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 02:33 PM   #15
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
About black tanks? It seems for some folks they work and for others they don't. Mine have always worked in 3 different travel trailers and now my Montana High Country. What do I do that might be different from everyone else?

When breaking camp, my black tank is dumped, and I always backflush the grey shower water into the black tank. With a somewhat full grey tank, I can easily backflush 3 times, each time sucking out more TP and "stuff". You need a 3rd valve, like a Flush King to close off the end and allow the grey to flush backwards into the black tank. So, first, is getting as much 'stuff' out of the black tank as possible.

Second, after dumping and backflushing the black tank, add about 5 gallons of water back to the tank and go to your next destination. The sloshing inside the tank will pulverize the sides of the tank and beat water against the sensors, thus removing any debris that stuck around.

Do this every time you break camp, and your tank sensors should work (unless there is a broken wire, or the actual sensor itself has gone bad... which is very unlikely).

Driving with TP and "stuff" in the tanks will also slosh around, but any "stuff" in the tanks will catch on the sensors. You've gained nothing. So dump first, backflush to get the extra TP out, add some clean water, and then drive! Easy to do, costs nothing after your purchase the Flush King, and works!
I'm not doubting your method and if it works for you that's great. I just can't see that being any better than closing the valve with the flusher running letting it fill up a little bit then opening the valve. To me it's the rush of water going out that brings all the debris with it. If you do that multiple times it's as clean as it's going to get
Old 12-08-2020, 05:00 PM   #16
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I'm not doubting your method and if it works for you that's great. I just can't see that being any better than closing the valve with the flusher running letting it fill up a little bit then opening the valve. To me it's the rush of water going out that brings all the debris with it. If you do that multiple times it's as clean as it's going to get
Seems there's more than one way to skin this cat. Personally, I've had better success with a few gallons of water and Dawn Liquid sloshing around the tank now and again. I'm also going to be trying one of the tank treatments with enzymes in it, like for a septic tank, but for RV's. But that won't be until next spring when we uncover the trailer for a new season.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:01 PM   #17
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Seems there's more than one way to skin this cat. Personally, I've had better success with a few gallons of water and Dawn Liquid sloshing around the tank now and again. I'm also going to be trying one of the tank treatments with enzymes in it, like for a septic tank, but for RV's. But that won't be until next spring when we uncover the trailer for a new season.
I've lived on septic for over 25 years and have never added one drop of anything to the tanks of any house other than what came out of your body and toilet paper. Not once has there been an issue.

Early on I went to a county offered class about septic and well and that is what I was taught you need to add nothing to them
Old 12-08-2020, 06:13 PM   #18
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I've lived on septic for over 25 years and have never added one drop of anything to the tanks of any house other than what came out of your body and toilet paper. Not once has there been an issue.

Early on I went to a county offered class about septic and well and that is what I was taught you need to add nothing to them

Interesting. Never been on a septic system. Doesn't it still make sense, though, that if little enzymes will reduce stuff to much smaller pieces that flushing the tank might be more successful? I don't know since I haven't tried it but I've already bought the product so will give it a try. Reports have been positive from other users. If nothing else, the occasional sloshing still works.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:20 PM   #19
PicketFence
Established Member

M.O.C. #27473
OP I am running the Hercules on mine. I have zero complaints and they seem to be doing great. Only have about 6,000 miles on them so time will tell.
Curt X5 Adapter
PicketFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:53 PM   #20
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Interesting. Never been on a septic system. Doesn't it still make sense, though, that if little enzymes will reduce stuff to much smaller pieces that flushing the tank might be more successful? I don't know since I haven't tried it but I've already bought the product so will give it a try. Reports have been positive from other users. If nothing else, the occasional sloshing still works.
I wouldn't think adding something to your RV tank would hurt anything but I don't think it's going to do much either since what's in the tank doesn't stay there very long less than a week for most people.
As far as your Sticks & Bricks septic system I bought my house in 2010 the tank was pumped out in 2008 and I pumped it in 2017. So it went nine years with three people living in the house. The guy who cleaned it out said that's the cleanest septic system I've ever seen, well taken care of and I didn't do a damn thing. Lol