Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
COLEMAN GENERATOR

My father-in-law gave me a Coleman gas 1500 watt generator. We do not dry camp as of yet. However, would it be worthwhile to carry the unit in the TV bed for an emergency ??

It has a carb leak that I think would be easy to fix. What would I be able to run in my 5th wheel with such a unit. We've been at parks where power has been lost for as much as a day & I'm thinking this would be great to have for such times.

What's the opinion of the brain board here ??

Thanks in advance. You guys have always helped me in the past.

Larry P

Larry-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Personally I think it is good to have at least that size of generator for emergencies. Provided you can put a carb kit in and solve the leaking gas and you have somewhere secure in the TV to stow it.

Most importantly it will run your converter, this means you can run everything that runs on 12V and maintain the batteries. This includes the fridge and furnace. You will not be able to run much else other than the Television. I am not sure you could run the microwave either but that depends on how much the converter is drawing.

If it is reasonably quiet it won't offend anyone if you were to run it for a while and in an emergency when no one has power who is going to complain.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If it is a Coleman Powermate, they are typically measured at 70 -71db which is on the loud side and would probably cause you problems with nearby neighbors. For comparison purposes, the Honda 2000 is rated at about 58-60db. Any generator is better than no generator when you don't have power. Your neighbors will most likely let you know if it is acceptable. It will not run a 13,500 or a 15,000 btu air conditioner, but, it would be better than nothing.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
While it won't run an AC unit, it will power any rooftop fans that you have so you could still deal with heat better than someone without the genny.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It is barely equivalent to a regular 15 amp 110v outlet, so you'll be limited in what you can run concurrently. I say barely since the power rating is typically a "peak" rating therefore the runtime rating will be less than the 1500 watt specification. In other words you might be able to get about 10 to 12 amps of power. This is still enough for emergencies and to be able to run some specific items assuming you can get an extension cord to what you want to run.

If you connect this generator using adapters to your rig power, it won't be able to provide anywhere close to the 30 to 50 amps of rig power so besides the fact you'll probably need to use a bonded cable to the rig, you'll have a high risk of overloading the genny so if you use it strictly for standalone uses to power specific items, then it is better than nothing for 110v supply.

Using the rig's 12V batteries for most things and this generator for some 110v things, many boondockers use this configuration succesfully. Just don't expect to use the A/C and any other high amperage 110v devices (microwave, toaster, blow dryers) at all. Trying to run these items with the generator might either cause an overload condition or a brownout (low voltage condition). Brownouts are not good for a lot of 110v equipment.

Nevertheless, your father-in-law was generous in giving you a generator but you've got to understand its limitations at only the 1500 watt rating.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:30 AM   #6
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
if you don't dry camp why or when would you use this generator? you already have 12 volt and gas if there is an emergency. i'd just keep it in the garage.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:07 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Eddie your point would be well take if you could count on what's going to happen. Power failures occur for a wide variety of reasons and sometimes can last several days. With a generator you can recharge your batteries and still have 12v without it your dead. Last year where we were working they were redoing the electric and the contractor had a major equipment breakdown. Only time till we get to Q we've ever used the generators for the rig, but it was sure nice to have them when the unexpected happened.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:21 AM   #8
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mazboy

if you don't dry camp why or when would you use this generator? you already have 12 volt and gas if there is an emergency. i'd just keep it in the garage.
And don't forget, you can also plug in the umbilical cord from your tow vehicle, start the tow vehicle and get additional power that way. Not the most efficient, but it is available.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:01 AM   #9
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Larry consider this: Possibly your RV has only one battery.

The power goes out in the park, no one has power, well only those with a generator. You decided to leave yours at home but plugged in the TV and fired up the diesel to get a little extra boost. The neighbor complains because of the fumes and you shut the diesel off but leave it plugged to the RV, you are running some lights, the fridge and from time to time your water pump. The power remains out for many hours and you drain not only your RV battery but your TV battery as well.

About this time DW says, "dear we are out of my favorite "whatever" will you run up to the store and get some". You don't want to have to say to DW, sorry darling but the truck won't start. This is about the time you are going to hear these words "YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST BROUGHT THE GENERATOR ALONG".

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #10
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I ALWAYS bring my Gen and yes it is a 1800 coleman and yes it is loud but you know what it is for EMERGENCIES only It works great when the power goes out in a storm and it powers everything we need ,in a power outage Everybody's gens are going and are more forgiving of the noise of the Coleman I just shut it down at night so people can sleep
Old 01-13-2014, 05:15 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it for emergencies. We have been hauling our 3500 Kipor gen in the back of our trucks for nearly 8 years wasting fuel and giving up bed space and have only used it maybe 4 times because of a power outage in a campground. We were sure glad we had it when we needed it.
We have used it at our S&B when we had a power outage several times during summer storms. Move over into the Montana, start it up and continue on.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:35 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mazboy

A little story if I may. When we went to Alaska, we took along (and used) two Honda 2000i generators. On the way back, we discovered we had a bent axle in Billings Montana. The frame shop let us stay in their parking lot that night until they could get us in at 7:00 am the next morning. They had no power, and the temperature that night was 101. Yes, that is not a misprint, it was over 100 degrees. Without those generators, we would have either had to find a motel, or cooked ourselves in the Monti. I wouldn't carry them everywhere we go, but for trips longer than a day's travel, they ride in the back of the truck.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote