Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
biznsa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8999
Slide Outs Won't Retract

Slides went out just fine but I can't get them to retract. Motor hums but nothing happens. Battery is fully charged, no restriction that I can see.

'09 3400 RL

biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Is there still some fluid in your reservoir or have you developed a leak somewhere?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Check the valves in the little door on roadside. They must be turned all the way to stop or they will let pressure bypass.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
biznsa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8999
DQDICK...there is fluid in reservoir. Because the slides are out, there's only about 1" of fluid.

Hook...what do you mean turned all the way to stop. They are not in the off position if that's what you mean.
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by biznsa

DQDICK...there is fluid in reservoir. Because the slides are out, there's only about 1" of fluid.

Hook...what do you mean turned all the way to stop. They are not in the off position if that's what you mean.
Only an inch? Wonder if that is normal. Never checked ours when the slides were out.....
Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by biznsa

Even in the on position, they must be turned to the end of travel, or as far as possible. If not, pressure can bypass.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
We had a bad solinoid that prevented us from retracting our slides, heard a "click" when trying to retract. If that is the problem, there is a work around by running the pump motor "backwards" by reversing the connections on the hydraulic pump, if you need an emergency fix this might work, otherwise I won't recommend it. We did it and it worked but it ended up destroying both our batteries as it reversed charged our batteries. If I had only pulled the slides and then put the wires back we would have been OK.
mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, there's about 1" or so left in mine when the slides are out. This is why you ONLY check and add fluid when the slides are retracted!

Does sound like no pressure is being created. Either the motor is not humming enough, or there's a problem with it. I hope you didn't keep the button held down too long and burned it out. You might also try connecting the TV and with the TV's motor running, try again. Both battery sources (TV & rig) should ensure there's enough juice.

Just remembered something... There is a fitting (square?) that you can find a suitable bit and use a drill to manually retract your slides - jus make sure you rotate it the correct direction. This would not be the method to extract/retract your slideouts, but should be able to get your slides back in to take to a shop if you can't find the root cause.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
That might not be enough fluid for the pump to get suction. It might of sucked a little air into the pump causing an air lock. You might try and break a fitting loose a little to allow the air out allowing the pump to get fluid. You would meed to bump the pump a little while bleeding this fluid.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
biznsa, I am wondering if you are currently using the unit or if it is in storage and if you are plugged into shore power.

A motor "humming" sounds to me like one that is not getting sufficient voltage to turn it over. I would try extending and retracting and see if you get the same "hum".

I also wonder how you confirmed the battery was fully charged. You might want to use booster cables from the TV to ensure sufficient voltage to operate the pump. I would also check the battery connections and any others associated with the hydraulic pump motor.

You could add a bit of the proper transmission fluid to the tank, but only after confirming it is not voltage related. Then ensure as you bring the slides in that it does not overfill the tank.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote