Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
triplehorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13448
MorRyde LRE suspension failure

I'm home from the first nightmare trip with this trailer, though it could have been much worse...

I pull into a station to fuel. The guy in the bay next to me was complementing my rig (thank you to him) and noticed uneven tire wear. We talked about the trailer a little bit and he offered to check the bolts. Upon him crawling under the trailer was visually impressed as the MorRyde rubber mound was totally separated from it's metal place. He said he could put his whole hand up into the space. He said we were fixing to have a crash. The center shackles were freely moving up and down within the frame mount. He said he had read a bulletin on this. So $2800 later I have new morryde mounts, new leaf's as they were bent and twisted. Sigh. He also said the tires are trashed. I stopped "upgrading" there and drove it home. Just got back from Discount Tire where I purchased the tires. After their inspection the technician said they are worn on the edges down through the Tread portion to the tire rubber. His assessment they need to be replaced. His offer was to reduce the price slightly and waive the installation charge taking the total to $1472. He is also trying to sell me on "Load Boss" tires and Goodyear G933 tires. They are about $100 less but seems to me I should stick with the G614's.

I've been in contact with MorRyde and sent them pictures. They requested copies of my receipts for the work done. Will update as it happens.

I'll post up some pictures.
UPDATE: Pictures posted.
MorRyde Failure

Old 09-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have seen that happened before of a friends Montana. Mor Ryde reimbursed him.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
How old is your Montana?
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
triplehorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13448
2 years old August 6, 2011.

Posting a couple pictures now.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
I had morride spring fail last spring. Other suspension problems may have contributed to the failure. Hopefully my dealer will repair all my suspension issues, front flex issues, and other warranty issues over the winter.
woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Mor/Ryd has been good to work with in the past and came thru for us. Hope this works out for you also, let us know what takes place.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Can you post the pictures here so we all can see what happened.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
triplehorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13448
https://picasaweb.google.com/1131973...RydeLREFailure
Old 09-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I wonder what caused what? Did the MorRyde fail and that caused the spring pack to twist, or did the spring pack twist and cause the MorRyde to fail, or maybe it was something else that caused either of these to fail? Not knowing how things failed sure increases the chance of a subsequent failure of some kind. Maybe even road conditions, speed, weight, I hope you figure this out. NEXT time, I wonder if companies may not be so inclined to pay for things.

P.S. Nice to see in those pictures the Black Widow spider webs are prevalent where you have your rig, too. Misery loves company and where I live they are everywhere in the stickhouse, my TV, and the RV.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #10
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
You indicated that you have contacted Mor/Ryde. Mor/ryde is a good company in support of it's customers. If you haven't talked to the manager yet, his name is Ben Wiginton. I would call them again to follow-up with Jim at (574)293-1581 x 219. I found him to be professional and helpful. Good Luck.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
triplehorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13448
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

I wonder what caused what? Did the MorRyde fail and that caused the spring pack to twist, or did the spring pack twist and cause the MorRyde to fail, or maybe it was something else that caused either of these to fail? Not knowing how things failed sure increases the chance of a subsequent failure of some kind. Maybe even road conditions, speed, weight, I hope you figure this out. NEXT time, I wonder if companies may not be so inclined to pay for things.

P.S. Nice to see in those pictures the Black Widow spider webs are prevalent where you have your rig, too. Misery loves company and where I live they are everywhere in the stickhouse, my TV, and the RV.
My guess/hope is that the springs tweaked due to the rubber not adhering to the plate. I hope this is an isolated instance and there won't be another time. If there is I will cross that bridge if or when it comes. Two failures from one product, I probably would not replace it with the same product if possible. Spiders everywhere here. I am very greatful to Randy at the tire/suspension shop noticed the misalignment while I was fueling. He saved us from a probable accident and more so, we were heading into Nevada where there are signs saying "No winter maintenance between 10pm and 6am". Not winter right now but it is range land, no fences along the roadsides no cell phone services. We could have really been stranded!! We were heading to http://www.nps.gov/grba/ and recommend this as a very nice destination.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
In picture number 2, it looks like stress cracks in the rubber, mine have them too.

Anyone else have those cracks???
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I had a rubber separation with the MorRyde block a couple of months ago. MorRyde replaced the block but not the labor to install it. I haven't heard of too many of these kinds of failures (you are the second I know of) so hopefully it is a freak incident.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #14
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
triplehorn,
Thanks for the pictures, they really tell the story.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #15
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I am now approaching 60,000 miles on our trailer and the Mor/ryde hasn’t given us any problems.

Mor/ryde says the stress cracks are normal and not to worry about them.

The failure in the pictures is the separation of the rubber from the metal mount.

Ours doesn’t show any sign of that kind of separation.

This is the second post about this type of failure.

Me thinks Mor/ryde may be having a problem with their Chinese supplier. LOL

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:31 AM   #16
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Can/should one of the plastic pads used between the hitch pin and hitch be used with Mor/Ryde?
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #17
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
I posted pictures of the cracks in our Morryde blocks a couple of months ago. I had our monty in the shop to get the axels aligned and the shop forman called me that there were significant cracks in the rubber blocks, and that I should replace them because the suspension would drop 3 inches if the blocks fell out. I had the rubber blocks replaced and the extended warranty paid for the parts and labour. It was just under $600.00. Our monty is a 2010 -3150RL.
The shop forman told me they started keeping the rubber blocks in stock because they noticed several trailers having similar problems.
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #18
triplehorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13448
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dpam

I posted pictures of the cracks in our Morryde blocks a couple of months ago. I had our monty in the shop to get the axels aligned and the shop forman called me that there were significant cracks in the rubber blocks, and that I should replace them because the suspension would drop 3 inches if the blocks fell out. I had the rubber blocks replaced and the extended warranty paid for the parts and labour. It was just under $600.00. Our monty is a 2010 -3150RL.
The shop forman told me they started keeping the rubber blocks in stock because they noticed several trailers having similar problems.
That is what they told me too. They had 18 in stock and were notified to watch for them too. I'm going to need to replace my tires too because of this. We have taken only 10 trips with this trailer. I certainly would expect these blocks to last longer than several thousand miles.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #19
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
This is what mine looked like (door side looked a little better) 3 weeks after bought it. Sent this picture and mor to Morride and they sent me free replacements, but also said they should be fine for a while and watch them. On our return trip from wintering in the southeast, the drivers side failed. Replaced both rubber springs in May. Still have more suspention issues to work out. When this spring failed it looked almost the same as in this picture.

woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
ctomwood
Established Member

M.O.C. #9744
I had to replace the door side after 10,000 to 15,000 miles on trip to Alaska after we got back I replace the suspension with Mor-Ride IS system I had all ready add disk brakes. Tire ware is great now after 30K plus miles. I had complete ware out 2 set of tires in first 30K before IS
ctomwood is offline   Reply With Quote