Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Don't know if anyone else has thought of this, but

Since there's a LOT of creepy crawly things around here (Virginia), and we've also got the majority of stink bugs in the world, my eyes kept looking at those step vents to the space where the AC to DC converter & etc. is. Picked up some screening yesterday, took the wood covers off and put some behind each. All it took was a little duct tape on the top and bottom edges, and the step carpet holds the rest in place. Any hitch hikers will have to come in & hide somewhere else.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Ah, I think you've just explained why I haven't taken my rig to Virginia. The only thing I don't like about stink bugs is that they stink. It's nasty. Way back when I was young, living in Texas, I stepped on a couple. It's amazing how something so small could stink so big!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Art, you're missing out. There is a ton of history in Virginia and lots and lots of beautiful countryside.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
Walt, a couple of years ago while staying in W. Virginia we picked-up a ton of Brown Stink Bugs. They nested in the attic space. I'm sure they got in through the air conditioning mounting.

I found a web site that has some good advice on stink bugs try: www.asktheexterminator.com

Many of the products they suggest are carried at Home Depot.
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:02 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Better stink bugs in Virginia than scorpions in Arizona.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #6
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
Oh yeah??? Well, we have rattlesnakes in Texas that eat scorpions and gila monsters and grow to 9 feet long with stingers over their eyes and breathe fire. Oh... that was a dragon story I read.

Never mind.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I wasn't so worried about stink bugs (they get into anywhere they want!) as spiders and assorted 'Virginia bugs' (the name for those things you can't categorize).

By the by, the brown nasty smelling ones are now in 40 states and spreading. Nothing wants to eat them, so they're having a field day. Heard a day or so ago on NPR that this particular species got here from Asia in a shipment of stuff to PA and are scheduled for a banner year - 60% growth from last year. It'd be really great if the cicadas would eat them.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
I'm not surprised at all that these stink bugs are being carried all over the US. We became infested from the rally last year in Goshen and then more in West Virginia. I definitely won't be back in that area in September and October as that seems to be the worst time for them. Since October we have killed at least 100 plus in our camper. Can't find where they are hiding but almost every day we kill 4 or 5. At one time we found 16 behind a piece of door trim that had to be removed. The DH put those 16 in a medicine bottle in October and they were still alive and kicking at Christmas. How can you find there hiding places? They usually just appear on the ceiling especially when it warms up. Am so tired of finding them and just hoping they don't reproduce in the rv cand then get in our home from carrying stuff in the house. Oh well, it could be mice. That would be worse.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
I have killed 6 stink bugs here in Quartzsite since we got here in January. Heading to Yuma tomorrow where it will be even warmer. Wonder how many will come out there? I am sure we brought them out here from the national rally.
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:14 AM   #10
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
Like most of the Fall Rally attendees, we picked up our fair share and have now carried them coast to coast. When we crossed the border and drove to Puerto Penasco, Mexico the other day, we had to declare them as pets. Kristi is still catching as many as she can to train them to do tricks and glue beads on them for Christmas ornaments. Wait until you see the class she will host at Seven Feathers this year and the evening entertainment at happy hour. Life's good!!!
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:00 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We've been to Virginia by vehicle. Saw some history (there's too much to see in a couple of days) and lots of beautiful countryside - Richmond, Alexandria, Williamsburg, Norfolk and even drove the Cheasapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel. We just didn't have the Montana.

Rest assured, the stink bugs will probably be taken care of in Yuma by the scorpions or black widows. Now what's worse?! As for declaring stink bugs as pets, I wonder if anyone knows an endochrinologist who can perform spay or neuter services on the little buggers, to keep them from reproducing. Stepping on them makes too much mess and then there's the stink.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
The screens wouldn't do much on a 3150 ... the large wooden louvers under the refrigerator are open to the same area that the vents under the steps are ... then you'd have to stuff some steel wool in the gaping holes under the kitchen sink and bathroom sink where the plumbing is routed as those areas are indirectly open to the same area under the steps as well. The wall on the rear of the cargo bay seals nothing at the top between floor joists nor at the bottom down into your holding tank area. Ya just can't win here ...
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:10 AM   #13
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Another reason I love the Pacific NW. Never seen a stink bug, scorpion, black widow, just mild temperatures (usually) and rain. ; l
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #14
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I got the buggers in Maryland in 2012, PA, VA, and Georgia in 2013. Biggest infestation was Maryland and they came into the attic via the openings that are at the top sides of the Vent fans. Have got to seal that area yet...but I will do it. I have also sealed the two vents in the stairs leading to the bedroom with screening as you have done Walt. Keeping the two vents closed while we were in PA and VA in the fall of 2013 really cut down on the number of stinkers that got inside. I'm sure that every floorplan and every year of monty has a lot of entry points for them. Good luck to all in your combat with them. John
Old 02-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #15
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
I hate them too! Can never understand where they could hide and get into. It seems you find them after you leave. I never see to many of them when your camping, it's always after you leave.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:58 AM   #16
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Agreed!!
We lived in Hampton for a few years while we were stationed at Langley AFB. I still remember catching blue claw crabs with a chicken wing tied to a piece of string. Good times!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Art, you're missing out. There is a ton of history in Virginia and lots and lots of beautiful countryside.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #17
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

The screens wouldn't do much on a 3150 ... the large wooden louvers under the refrigerator are open to the same area that the vents under the steps are ... then you'd have to stuff some steel wool in the gaping holes under the kitchen sink and bathroom sink where the plumbing is routed as those areas are indirectly open to the same area under the steps as well. The wall on the rear of the cargo bay seals nothing at the top between floor joists nor at the bottom down into your holding tank area. Ya just can't win here ...
Almost the same on my 3605RL, under and behind the kitchen counter, where the hot water heater, and main electrical panel(right below the sink, no less!) is a hole in the wall where all the electrical wiring passes to the panel, that I swear I could crawl through if my life depended on it!!! The hole leads straight to the space where the furnace and water pump are, behind the basement wall in the storage area.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grampachet

Another reason I love the Pacific NW. Never seen a stink bug, scorpion, black widow, just mild temperatures (usually) and rain. ; l
Don't forget though, we have Rattlesnakes, Hobo Spiders, and a few Volcanoes to even it all out. (gotta scare off some of the out of state influx!!!)

We usually only had Alder Bugs in my area of the PNW, but this year I found scads of Stink Bugs in the wood stove(down through the chimney I guess) when I went to use it this winter. ...and we have not been out east of Idaho at all for at least 3 years. No idea where they came from! We don't have any close neighbors either. Thet're gettin' around somehow though.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:16 AM   #18
triumphess
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13202
We have tons of stink bugs here in PA -- and the weird thing is that they are so hardy!! We have been watching one in particular (yeah, I know, we gotta get a life!) that has been hanging out on the screen of one of our bedroom windows. It has been COLD (like below zero) -- and the little stinker is still alive and well!
triumphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:30 AM   #19
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Don't know what's worse, the stink bugs from Virginia or the lady bugs from Ohio. They both stink when squished. We exterminate about a half dozen a day.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #20
snowbiz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12991
Thanks Kristi for the good laugh and Christmas ornament idea. We just came back to the rig that's been parked in Arizona since the rally and those little buggers are still alive. They just seem to appear our of the woodwork!!
snowbiz is offline   Reply With Quote