Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
ONAN 5500 Gold Marquis Rookie - Need Advice

Our 2013 Montana 3750FL has a built in LP generator and it is our first ONAN. Beyond the routine maintenance driven by the hours of use, what advice or recommendations, do's and don't, can you offer an ONAN rookie? Is an exhaust extension recommended and if so, which one? Do I need to exercise it once a month during the winter? Do I need to do anything to winterize it? Can you run it for long periods of time? Should it be shut off when we leave our site? Those a just come questions that come to mind. Any advice would be appreciated.

snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
All I can offer is my limited knowledge after having used ours for two years now. It should be "exercised" once a month during the winter with a load applied. The manual recommends about an hour a month. There is no winterization needed. It can run for extended periods of time provided it has fuel and oil, if it is propane, it will suck a little over a gallon an hour. A 30 pound tank has about 7 gallons and a 40 pound tank has about 9 gallons, so run-time is limited. I would not advise leaving it on when you leave the site. We do not have an exhaust extension but have experienced the need for one and are looking at the "Venturi" type exhaust system that clamps to the side of the rig to get the exhaust above the rig's roof for the wind to disperse it. One thing about winter is they can be subject to dying dependent on the outside temperature due to the vaporization process of the propane. Hope this helps and I am sure more seasoned users will chime in if I am off-base on anything.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

All I can offer is my limited knowledge after having used ours for two years now. It should be "exercised" once a month during the winter with a load applied. The manual recommends about an hour a month. There is no winterization needed. It can run for extended periods of time provided it has fuel and oil, if it is propane, it will suck a little over a gallon an hour. A 30 pound tank has about 7 gallons and a 40 pound tank has about 9 gallons, so run-time is limited. I would not advise leaving it on when you leave the site. We do not have an exhaust extension but have experienced the need for one and are looking at the "Venturi" type exhaust system that clamps to the side of the rig to get the exhaust above the rig's roof for the wind to disperse it. One thing about winter is they can be subject to dying dependent on the outside temperature due to the vaporization process of the propane. Hope this helps and I am sure more seasoned users will chime in if I am off-base on anything.
Bingo
Thanks for your information. Im not sure about exercising the ONAN during the winter because it is covered, and they put the switch in a cabinet up front that I cant reach with side outs closed. Sounds like a bad situation! Where did they put the switch in your model year?
Old 12-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There is also a start switch accessible from the outside. Simply open the front compartment and remove the front cover of the generator and there is a start switch at the upper left hand corner of the unit. You don't even have to go in the rig other than to turn things on to provide the load for the genny.
Bingo
Old 12-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
We have had ours for 3.5 years, great generator. They use fuel, run it all day, it will use one of your propane bottles, I have the Gen-Turi exhaust extention, it sends the exhaust up not out, it is good if you have a rig next door, as in Quartzsite in the Circle, as for noise it helps a little, being an LPG run engine, the fumes are really nothing at all. I service ours once a year, oil 2 quarts, (Shell Rotella 15w40, new oil filter, and clean the air filter, very simple,
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Why would you need a exhaust extention? its on propane, and a lot safer than gas exhaust thats why they are on fork lifts inside factory buildings. The extention could cause more back pressure on the engin and cause a problem else where.
Run it monthly under load, the Air conditioner will give it that, or an electric heater. let its oil get to opperating temps before you go shutting it down.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
pappy65
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10842
On the dying in cold weater I tried various pigtails at the tanks with no luck. Unit would sometimes die when furnace comes on. Guy at propane place said all the new pigtails have restrivtion in them. I switched to old hoses that screw to inside threads on bottle. Only drawback is have to use crescent wrench when removing hose for refill. I have not had gen shut down once since changing. Been in sub freezing weather many times.
pappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
pappy65
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10842
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pappy65

On the dying in cold weater I tried various pigtails at the tanks with no luck. Unit would sometimes die when furnace comes on. Guy at propane place said all the new pigtails have restriction in them. I switched to old hoses that screw to inside threads on bottle. Only drawback is have to use crescent wrench when removing hose for refill. I have not had gen shut down once since changing. Been in sub freezing weather many times.
pappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
I have been using my Onan for 4 years now. When I had it installed, I went with the gasoline option and had the controls mounted in front of the lavatory for easy access. I also had the on/off switch for my 3K inverter mounted in the same place. Gas is another fuel tank to contend with but is easier to refill than the propane (especially if you are as lazy as I am.)

We run the gen at least once a month. Oh, in your case you can run the gen from its own controls inside the front panel. If you do, be sure to replace the panel while it is running for proper cooling. That way you want have to run your slides out. Do make sure your exhaust is not restricted in any way by the cover.

As previously stated, annual maintenance is simple...change oil & filter...clean the air filter...done.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:43 AM   #10
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Don't know if there is a connection here, but during the storm Sandy we boondocked for a couple nights. I ran the generator so that the battery would stay up to power the furnace. During the night both the generator and furnace quit. The propane tank was still partially full but covered in frost. I asked some propane folks about what happened. They said that probably the combination of drawing propane for both the furnace and the generator at the same time caused the propane in the tank to be depleted too rapidly and that froze the remainder of the propane in the tank. Since then we have not run both at the same time and have not had a repeat of the frozen propane.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:17 AM   #11
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandBonnie

Don't know if there is a connection here, but during the storm Sandy we boondocked for a couple nights. I ran the generator so that the battery would stay up to power the furnace. During the night both the generator and furnace quit. The propane tank was still partially full but covered in frost. I asked some propane folks about what happened. They said that probably the combination of drawing propane for both the furnace and the generator at the same time caused the propane in the tank to be depleted too rapidly and that froze the remainder of the propane in the tank. Since then we have not run both at the same time and have not had a repeat of the frozen propane.
The three factors you encountered are the rate of flow, outside temp and the level of propane in your tank. With a full tank you probably would not have had a problem and could run both the furnace and genny. The lower the tank goes, the lower the outside temp falls and you will soon intersect with the point where you will not get enough fuel to the generator. If you had another full propane tank then switch to that.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:30 AM   #12
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Jim,
I did try the changeover but the frozen propane was up into the regulator. The propane wouldn't flow until the outside temperatures went up enough for it to thaw out. Everything you have said is true. The good news is that the whole issue was a temporary inconvenience and just one more thing to add to our learning curve. Thankfully we weren't in deep freeze temperatures. At the time, we dipped to the high 20's overnight and rose to above freezing within a few minutes after sunrise.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Here is a link for why propane has problems in cold temps: http://www.ehow.com/facts_7597557_ca...ks-freeze.html

I'm guessing that when propane is being used quickly like with a furnace AND generator, one must keep the tanks more full to minimize the condensation phenomenon that can reduce the pressure in a propane bottle.

On Edit: This link explains that you might not want to let the propane bottles get too low, either: http://www.ehow.com/about_6659739_co...ne-tanks_.html
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #14
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Some great responses. So if my cover doesn't block the exhaust it seems safe to run the generator during the winter for 30 Minutes, once a month? To put it under load, I will have to run something electical, like a shop vac, off of the outside outlet on the camper. Everyday is one more day to camping season!
Old 12-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Cover will not block the exhaust, it is out the bottom and carried to the off-side of the rig (at least on our factory installation). If I remember correctly, the manual recommends at least a half load, I don't think the shop vac will get you there, but I would think you would be okay, better yet, hook up a coffee pot outside so you can have warm refreshments, it will have a greater amperage draw!
Bingo
Old 12-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #16
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
If you find yourself in the position of having to use a lot of propane when it's cold you have to wrap the cylinders with a warming blanket.
http://m.globalindustrial.com/m/p/hv...arming-blanket
Also the exhaust extensions such as the genturi type do not create any back pressure.
I know from years of tailgating in the overnight RV lots at Penn State Football Games.
Some of the November games were pretty cold and snowy.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #17
dmacy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8921
The problem is that the propane is being drawn out to fast. In cold weather the tank won't even empty. A guy from the gas company told me that RV propane systems aren't designed to draw a lot of propane and what is really needed is to have both tanks draw at the same time to eliminate the problem. I have an onan 5500 and have had it freeze up in cold weather. As someone mentioned it is best to switch between tanks. As far as exhaust extension is concerned I have a Gen Turi extension and love it. Even though Propane fumes are not as toxic they still have CO which is deadly just less of it. A Gen Turi is great for close neighbors as it directs all gases up.
dmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #18
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
To put a load on your generator I always use a hair dryer and a heat gun. Both of them draw a great deal on the gen. This is on my 2000 Honda's. I believe thats quite a load and it sounds like it once I turn them on.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #19
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
I excersied the ONAN today for 30 minutes and plugged in a portable electrical heater. As advised here, strated it at the unti and reinstalled the cover while running, and let it go. No problms with the cover being on. I thought afterwards that the battery switch is off so it wasn't charging but that is a bit more of a project to reach with the cover on. I'll try it next time.

Rich