Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Refrigerators and how they cool

Hello,

Our trailer will have the four-door refrigerator. We will not even fill one half of the fridge or freezer on most trips. In order to save on propane dry camping, would it do any good to fill the other side with something solid to take up space so it doesn't have to cool the entire refrigerator? I was thinking something like large blocks of styrofoam that would take up the space and be light. Not sure if the thinking is sound, so thought I would see if anyone knows if this would work.

Thanks a lot!

Greg

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:09 AM   #2
jdvier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10130
The unit is designed to cool the whole thing. It should not be using that much propane if the seals are in good working order. Also if you do that then the blocks will have to be cooled also and the are not designed to hold the cold in. If you give it a try let us know how it works.
jdvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:50 AM   #3
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Thanks jdvier, Yeah thats why I was thinking foam because it does not conduct heat or cold it would just reduce the amount of air space that had to be kept cool. You're probably right if it is sealed well the propane use may be negligible, just seems a waste to cool the whole thing. I would not even get the 4-door fridge but it is mandatory on the 3750FL.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:36 AM   #4
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Today you think you'll never utilize half of the capacity of the 4 door fridge. Tomorrow you'll wonder how you ever managed with a 2 door model!
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
No refrigeration education here, but, I would worry if I would be compromising air circulation, etc. Where is Ozz when we need him?? LOL
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I think he is in Montana! (The state not the trailer)
Old 09-25-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I'd think you wouldn't want much air circulation if it's the section not going to be used - why waste the power and the cooling.

In fact, what I might do is fit a piece of styrofoam or I think cardboard might even work, that fits on the topmost shelf and goes all the way to the door (it might be tricky getting a proper fit) so that when the door is closed most of the bottom half of the fridge isn't even cooled at all. What would be the point if you are not using it, then you don't have big blocks of styrofoam to store when you do need it? Just remove any shelves on the door so this styrofoam goes to the door and keeps any cold air confined to a much smaller area. I would also put some baking soda in the lower area just to ensure it absorbs any odors that might form.

Hopefully Ozz will come along with some ideas.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:18 AM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I think you are throwing dollars at pennies. Once the unit is cooled down the amount of propane useage is minimal. If you have that cost awareness then take some plastic water jugs and freeze them and put them in the fridge before you leave. Then you can re-freeze for next trip. That will help keep inside cooler till they thaw out.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

I think you are throwing dollars at pennies. Once the unit is cooled down the amount of propane useage is minimal. If you have that cost awareness then take some plastic water jugs and freeze them and put them in the fridge before you leave. Then you can re-freeze for next trip. That will help keep inside cooler till they thaw out.
I would agree. And there is no way I want those jugs of ice sliding around in the fridge while on the road. I think this is a non-issue.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Thanks Phill and Will, I agree as a cost issue, we just do mostly dry camping and I was just trying to make my propane last a little longer. Probably still negligible use, but a little here, a little there when you're dry camping and it adds up I think. I guess I would compare it to the whole trailer and why if you can close off some of it when heating or cooling to save energy just do it on a smaller scale. You're right though, I have to laugh when we spend $120k for a truck and trailer and then try to save 3 cents on something
Old 09-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Al was at the Dometic presentation at the Fall Rally, and Dometic said that one of the reasons there are wire racks in the frig is for circulation, they also said it is not a good thing to stuff these frigs full (as, mmm, I sometimes tend to do, ooops).

Just thought I would pass that on.

You could always bring me that 4 door frig and I'll swap ya out for a 2 door one! LOL
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #12
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Al was at the Dometic presentation at the Fall Rally, and Dometic said that one of the reasons there are wire racks in the frig is for circulation, they also said it is not a good thing to stuff these frigs full (as, mmm, I sometimes tend to do, ooops).

Just thought I would pass that on.

You could always bring me that 4 door frig and I'll swap ya out for a 2 door one! LOL
Thanks Mrs. CountryGuy - good reasoning on the circulation. Wish I could swap you out, but think it would leave a rather unsightly hole on mine!