Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Any "Small World" stories out there???

Just wondering how many have run across people they know from other parts of the country/world while traveling with their Montana/Mountaineer/Big Sky/Alpine and whatever other RV's we include here.

As for us....

- Earlier this year I walked into the bathroom of a Flying J at Eloy, AZ and ran into (nearly literally, we had to dodge each other) member SteveS. He and his lovely wife, Betty, have been good friends of ours for years. They are from New Jersey.

- A few years ago in a Walmart in Yuma I had a guy come up behind me and push my cart out of the checkout line. Or try to, anyhow. It turned out to be a friend who also frequents what was then our home park in Independence, MO.

- And back in 2007 or 2008 we were walking along the waterfront in Belfast, ME, and ran into one of my co-workers from Topeka, KS! He and his wife were vacationing in Belfast.

We've also several times chatted with others at viewpoints or rv parks or whatever and found we have a connection, such as a mutual friend, etc. But the above are the ones that stand out for me.

Anyone else experience these small world moments?

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The first time we went to the RGV, we were in a Walgreen buying some tourist-type stuff; Texas T-shirts.
I ran into a lady that I did work for in a big bank in K.C., I came by monthly and changed filters, checked units out on a P.M.
I would always drop by Andre's pastry's over on the Country Club Plaza, and bring the girls at the bank a big box of Swiss chocolates and pastries. She remembered me for that.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
It's a small world - 2011 wintered in AZ we had 4 of these unbelievable encounters:
1- As sreigle mentioned - We were headed from Yuma to Tombstone and stopped at a flying J and ran into the Reigles.
2- At the same Flying J, moving from Tombstone to Camp Verde we ran into a couple we have wintered with many times in FL.
3- While touring the Grand Canyon I ran into my cousin from Texas. We were waiting for a shuttle to go to a viewing area and and someone came over and started hugging me - it was my cousin. She heard Betty's voice and looked through the crowd and saw us.
4-Returning home we stopped at a rest area in Oklahoma and saw a Montana - immediately recognized Rehmob (Lynn and Pat) standing next to it.

Yes it is a small world!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
In June of this year while on my travels, I was staying at the Riverpark RV Park in Grants Pass, OR. Well the RV next to me was Montana. So you have to find out if they are MOCer's. As we talked it turn out that they had lived in the same two neighborhoods, as I did, when I was a kid.

Another one was in Plymouth, CA. I saw a husband and wife walking their Rotties. So I struck up a conversation. You don't see too many Rotties in RV parks. I was telling them about my brothers Rottie and the shows and titles he had won. The wife then memtioned my brothers name and the dogs name. She had helped out my brother with some training when he was going through obedience trials with his dog.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
When we were following a MH one day we decided to stop at the next conv. place. They turned in just ahead of us and when we stepped out we recognized each other. They were members of our church. We had no prior knowledge of our common interest.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
when we were in So Dakota we were in a store and somebody yelled out who was from California, I yelled back, and he asked if I knew anybody from the town of Lynwood named Howard, I told him that was my friend of many years, he said he was from Louisiana and he was his cousin, I called my friend to see if this was to good to be true, and it was his cousin. now thats a small world meeting a million to one meet.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Vicki pointed out another one to me. Last year we were at Marriman Creek Falls, near Lake Quinault, just outside the border of Olympic National Park in Washington. A car pulled up with LY county Kansas plates so naturally we got to chatting since I spent my college days in that county. They mentioned they live near the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve. I mentioned my cousin is a ranger in that Preserve. Come to find out, they know my cousin and his wife very well and have socialized many times.

Another time we were towing north of Flagstaff and came upon a semi tractor, a big red one. We instantly recognized it as being Bob and Sharon, Firetrucker and Firetruckerwife.

Another time we were doing our daily walk around Goulding's RV Park at Monument Valley and recognized the Montana of Birdingrv'ers. We had a nice visit with them and we all went up to see Robbie and Alice at Goosenecks State Park.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:04 AM   #8
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we weren't in the RV but on our cruise to South America last winter we met the guy that had Paul's paper Route before him in Dodge City, KS, many years ago--now that is truly a small world
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
In the past 7 years can't tell you how many times we have run into friends, relatives,etc on our travels. Ran into SRiegle in Independence MO in 07. Funniest was in Florence, AZ. We were walking through the CG we had just stopped in when we noticed a lot of WI license plates. Asked one guy, if he was a cheesehead and where he was from. Turned out he was the DW's first boyfriend back in Plainfield, WI. Had a couple of good days together. Neither recognized each other.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Nope! I think they try to avoid me.

I'll keep looking though.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:21 AM   #11
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Had a "Small World" moment last month while in the Grand Tetons. My truck tends to draw attention with lots of questions. The guy in the site behind us came over to ask a few questions, his toy hauler it too much for his pickup. Turns out he lives less than 5 miles from me (we are 1300 miles from home).
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:19 AM   #12
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
In November 2008 we picked up our new SOB in Memphis, TN and was driving home to California. We were just outside Albuquerque, NM and saw a Montana go by on the other side of the freeway heading East, the Dodge truck had graphics on it that I recognized, it was Robbie and Alice. So I called them and they turned around at the next exit, came back to where we pulled off the freeway and we all had a nice roadside visit. They were the first to tour our new motorhome.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote