Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
Oil. Testing, Filters, change interval.

I just got a bypass filter in the mail today. Gonna get it put on this weekend.

My main goal is to keep soot out of my injectors, but with testing I also hope to not have to change the oil so often. 15 QUARTS!

Actually now 16 quarts with the added oil filter.

Is anybody else doing this with their diesel TV?

cbgaloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Your bypass filter has nothing to do with your injectors. If you do send in samples of your oil for analysis you can extend oil change intervals. You can also extend oil change intervals with oil analysis. Most oil is changed while it is still doing a good job.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by clutch

Most oil is changed while it is still doing a good job.
My Chevy dealer (and also a friend) swears by the Driver's Information center (DIC). It tells me when to change the oil and oil/fuel filters. I usually do it a bit sooner than the DIC says to, but when I do the algebra, if I was to do it when the DIC says to, it comes out to about 10k for oil changes.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
Quote:

Your bypass filter has nothing to do with your injectors. If you do send in samples of your oil for analysis you can extend oil change intervals. You can also extend oil change intervals with oil analysis. Most oil is changed while it is still doing a good job.
Actually on a Powerstroke the engine oil is used as a sort of hydraulic fluid to power the injectors. Keeping you oil clean keeps soot and other contaminates from wearing them out. And they ain't cheap. Power strokes are infamous for injector problems.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
Anybody wan to recommend a good oil test service?

Blackstone is the only one I've found.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I use the Amsoil dual remote filtration system with an oversize normal filter and Bi-pass filter. I change my oil once a year or 25K whichever comes first (but so far, it's always been the one year mark). Predictive Maintenance Services does my testing. And for what it's worth, I use Mobil Synthetic Turbo Diesel oil.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cbgaloot

Quote:

Actually on a Powerstroke the engine oil is used as a sort of hydraulic fluid to power the injectors. Keeping you oil clean keeps soot and other contaminates from wearing them out. And they ain't cheap. Power strokes are infamous for injector problems.

I didn't realize that the engine oil circulated in the injectors on the Ford. I know very little about the Power Stroke.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:36 AM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The new 6.4 and 6.7 PSD engines use a common rail fuel system just like the one Chevy has used on all of their Duramax Engines. The Ford injectors use Perez, I think that is spelled right, to activate them. They work like the lighter on your grill. If you apply pressure to these lighters they produce a spark that lights your grill, if you supply an electric current they expand. Stack several together and they expand enough to open an ejector, an extremely simple principle to work an very fragile ejector.
The advantage is they expand very very fast, allowing more squirts of fuel per injection cycle. up to 7. Ford, I think, uses up to 5 injections per cycle. The Chevy, Dodge system is only good for 5 per cycle. The new 2011 Duramax uses ejectors like the 6.4 and 6.7 Ford. The old Ford ejectors used on the 7.3 and 6. were good for only 2 injections per cycle. They were developed by Caterpillar. They use the engine oil work them. Dirty oil wears them out.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:42 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We let Ford change our oil and do the routine maint at the recommended intervals.. Heavy duty use every 6K miles. We had the oil analyzed a couple of times in 30K miles and it was well within tolerance and at 6K miles the oil looks good. A well maintained truck is a happy truck.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:52 AM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I meant to say Injector. I'm in the gun industry. Rifles have ejectors trucks have injectors.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote