Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2010, 03:13 AM   #1
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
RBW Lil'Rocker

I have the RBW 15K Hitch and I have always been concerned with the hairpin clips that keep the 2 pins in place that secure the hitch head on. There is very little room to put anything else in there. They are very easy to remove and I do check them every time after I stop for a rest and before I move out just to make sure some funny guy didn't pull them out or they didn't work out. I was thinking about putting in a cotter pin. What have other done if anything. Thanks, Mike

mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
All hitch designs like yours have the 2 clips that hold the pins in the saddles that the head pivots on. I've run this type of hitch for years with no worries. The weight of the fiver for the most part keeps the hitch head in place. It would imagine it would take a extreme event to dislodge the head from the saddle even if one pin were missing. I suppose for your peace of mind you could drill the pins and use cotter pins instead ... dunno how hard the pins are. On a side note ... I do smear a good amount of grease gun grease in the saddles before I put the head down into them to keep the wear down.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Mike' I remove the hairpin clips and bought small master lock to keep the pins in place.
works great and don't have to worry about some pranksteer.
Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:25 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Here's a possible remedy for ones peace of mind
http://www.etrailer.com/p-58093.htm
Just an example not plugging ETrailer
Move your cursor over alternate view for application.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtheo

Mike' I remove the hairpin clips and bought small master lock to keep the pins in place.
works great and don't have to worry about some pranksteer.
Mark
I installed cotter pins in the place of the hair pins. They fit good in the existing holes and give me peace of mind. The locks seem interesting as they can be reused unlike the cotter pins.

Lubed and oiled up all the moving parts and it sure works alot better. Thanks, Mike
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote