Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
CA Non-Commercial Class A License

I can legally drive with the Monty in CA now, I passed the Non-Commercial Class A driving test today. I already had the 5th wheel endorsement, but the clerk was adamant that I had to take another written text for the new license. After much discussion I was able to politely explain to her that the endorsement text and the A test were the same and I did not need to take it again. After all of that, she was not sure if I could do the driving text that I had an appointment for. Finally found a examiner that had time for the driving test and got started. First I had to do a pre-trip inspection. About fifteen minutes identifying things on the truck and trailer. Next was the skill driving test. Backing in a straight line, making a right turn close to a cone without hitting it, and finally backing into a 12’ wide loading dock , but for me it was renamed to a campsite. I got off to a bad start with my set up and had to two pull-ups. Passed the pre-trip, had two points off on the skill part for the pull-ups, and two points off on the driving part a couple of careless mistakes. The best part is I passed and now we are ready for our trip to Q.

nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Hey Nailbender why did you have to take the non-commercial class A? I was under the impresson that you only needed the endorsement to tow a non commercial 5er up to 15,000 lbs.

Have fun in Q we would like to go but it is the wrong time of the year for me to be away from the store.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Don, You are correct, the endorsement is for under 15,000 GVWR. 15,001 GVWR and over requires the Class A and our 3465 weights 15,540 GVWR. Wish I could have scratched out the 540 lbs, but don't have to now.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Here is a good link to explain the various requirements for towing a TT or 5th wheel. It is a small PDF file.

California Recreational Vehicle Handbook

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
rosstok
Established Member

M.O.C. #9664
Hi, Nailbender,

Thanks to you I realized that I am an illegal! Was just up your way a few weeks ago (Oroville) driving my Monty under my Class C. Shame on me.

I went into the DMV today to start my Class A process, and they reacted in a funny way - the first clerk (where you stand in line to get a place in line) had no idea what I was talking about and just handed me the general license form and indicated that there was a check box to request the non-commercial Class A license on the application. The second clerk (where you pay) said that I was indeed a rare person who actually requested this (maybe you were the last one before me!), the third clerk (the one who administers the test)only partly understood what I was asking. He pulled out a binder of tests and, after blowing off the dust, started flipping pages looking for the one that applied. I had to tell him that it was the recreational vehicle test, same as the endorsement test. He and the agent from the desk next to him discussed the situation and agreed on the test I needed to take. Even then, when I took the test, one of the questions was clearly wrong - it stated that the Class A license didn't allow me to tow another passenger vehicle. (I think that it meant to say, not another passenger vehicle in addition to my Monty - any clue what that is about?) It seems that you and I are the exceptions in applying for this license.

By the way, how did you get your Monty to the test location? I was told that I have to have another Class A driver with me until I have my license. (I don't expect you to incriminate yourself by answering this question!)

All the best, and happy traveling!
rosstok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Rosstok,
The guy that drove Don's rig up to the testing site stepped across the street for a cup of coffee. I can certify that Don would never break the law!

Your experience at the DMV sounds exactly like mine except all I got was the 5th wheel endorsement! Now that I think about it I really should have the Non Commercial A since I've had to send in a medical report every couple of years. And last time I had to take driving test. I did not have to do the towing part only the tow vehicle.

Glad to see some of the MOC members getting 'legal'.

HamRad
Old 12-31-2009, 04:04 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Getting a Class A non comercial was the most frustrating experance I ever had with Cal DMV, a bunch of uninformed civil servants, that dont know what to do.
As Dennis said every two years I have to fill out a medical form and fill out the information and send it back to DMV too.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:15 AM   #8
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Sorry Dennis, but I was a major criminal for driving to the DMV alone.

The first thing the clerk asked for was my vehicle registration, proof of insurance, and permit card. Permit card, oh no, I am in trouble already. When I said I didn’t have one, she said I was driving illegally, and nothing else was said about it. I keep waiting for a CHP officer to come in.

I found this Pre-Trip checklist on line that the examiner will use. The examiner will show you his copy before starting, but I used this to prepare with and it helped a lot. More people fail the pre-trip than any other part of the test. Also be sure to know how to explain the procedure for going down a steep grade. http://i41.tinypic.com/28810qo.jpg

I took the written test for the endorsement at our local DMV office, and the driving test at the Yuba City DMV. The local office wanted to charge for the written test (there is no fee for the endorsement), couldn’t find the test, and couldn’t find the answer sheet. The clerks at both offices were all nice, but getting through that part was much, much worse than the driving test.

Rosstok, Next time you are in Oroville, let me know. We could meet and discuss our “war stories” getting of our A license.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:44 AM   #9
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Rosstok
To answer your question about towing another vehicle or unit. With a Class A lic. you can tow one unit only, weight is the deciding factor on needing an class A lic. You need to take another written test for doubles and triples. If you tow a trailer behind your Monty you would be towing doubles. Your truck (tractor) and two trailers. You can not tow doubles on a non commerical "A" or a RV endorsment.

As for getting your Monty down to the DMV office, that is not a problem, nobody will check, just be sure you don't tow it home yourself if you don't pass it. Had them stop a freind of mine.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
After reading this topic and the DMV Recreational Vehicles And Trailer Handbook and knowing that my 3400 weighed 13,000 LB.
loaded when I tow it I went down to the DMV. I told them that I was towing a fifth-wheel that weighed right at 13,000 LB.
They told me all I needed was the endorsement on my class C. So that is what I got, now I`m wondering if thats what I needed.
My GVWR is 15,500 LS. I will never load it past 14,000. Before this topic I didn`t think I needed anything. When I bought it
Keystones largest dealer told me nothing extra was needed,

The DMV was a vert large and busy one and they told me it had been a least a year since someone had asked for a RV endorsement.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #11
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Ron, I am like you in that we travel somewhat light, 14,400. Once you get by the paperwork and clerks, the actual driving test is easy. Most of have been driving a long time and when towing a RV I think we are much more careful than the average driver.

A dealer wouldn't tell you need a special license and loose a sale. Although if I was trying to make a living selling RV's, I would probably do the same thing.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I knew it had to be more than this. I specifically asked my dealer if I needed anything special for towing a 7 ton Monty. Everyone in the Sales office came back with a resounding "no, your Class C is all you need".

This is definitely something I'll be looking to. It's as bad as when I was working to get my TV weight compliant buy upgrading the suspension. There are a lot of uninformed CHP & DMV persons.

nailbender - in your link of the pre-inspection it was not obvious to me what ones are wrong. They all looked like they were checked off or scratched off, but nothing obvious to me they were incorrect. Can you provide this explanation?

And just so I understand, I should pursue the simpler RV endorsement that does not require the driving test or medical checkup. GTWR is 14,200 and under the 15,001 requirement. Am I understanding that part correctly?

What was the cost for just the RV endorsement?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #13
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Art
You should be OK with the endorsement at 14,200. I read the 37 page book that was on the net before I went down To DMV. The test had about 20 questions and I passed. They did not tell me how many I missed, just said I passed. No Charge for the endorsement.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Art, I had to look a few times to find the three errors. You can't get wrong answers in the pre-trip, the errors are for not pointing out and explaining a item. The person missed emergency equipment, landing gear, and trailer reflectors (he got the light part).

If you are 15,000 and under, all you need is the endorsement. The endowment is one the few bargains in CA, no charge unless if your license renewal is due within six months. The test is twenty questions and if I remember correctly, you can miss up to four and pass.

Ron, I got distracted for a while after I started to answer Art and didn't see your post. When I took my test, they told me I missed one, but wouldn't let me have the test. I think there is only test unlike the test for a C license.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ron,
You are correct. All you need is the endorsement. The ONLY weight that is of any importance is the weight rating listed on the sticker that is on the left side of the trailer. It is of no importance as to how much the the trailer actually weighs. You could have it loaded down to over 15K and that would not make any difference. The officer stopping you will go by what is listed on your sticker.

Now if your load "appears" to the officer to be dangerous then the officer can ticket you for an unsafe condition of some sort.

This whole issue "seems" much more complicted than it is in reality. Just remember that if the sticker weight of your rig is over 10K but under 15,001 then all you need is the RV endoresement. It you sticker reads 15,001 or more then you need the Non Commercial class A. And remember this is only if you live in California.

Dennis
Old 01-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #16
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Ok here are what some of the questions that will be asked when you take the examination, this is a old test that probably is not in use anymore.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...25/DMVTest.jpg

and yes I got 3 wrong but I passed and got my licence.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #17
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
I have a 2007 3400, it reads 15,500. Some of the 2007 3400 read 14,000 so I guess I`m out of luck with my new endorsememt.
Drove all over the US and Canada this past year and never got stopped. Now after getting the endorsement watch me get stopped.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #18
Coronabob
Established Member

M.O.C. #9515
I took the test for the endorsement. I was never so frustrated. After the third person found the book and copied the test, I passed the test. Then two people could not find a place on my driver record to put the endorsement info. One finally said "I will put the sticker on the back, that is all you need "
I called Sacramento to the help line and they could not figure out where it would go either. I called the CHP and they said it should go on record some where, but didn't have a clue. I work for a large company that licenses a lot of our vehicles. I asked our license clerk to check into it. It seems her contact couldn't find out anything about the endoresement either. I mentioned my license is up for renewal in a couple of years, what will happen? The DMV says I will probably have to test and get a new sticker.
Can you believe this ????
Old 01-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #19
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Coronabob

I took the test for the endorsement. I was never so frustrated. After the third person found the book and copied the test, I passed the test. Then two people could not find a place on my driver record to put the endorsement info. One finally said "I will put the sticker on the back, that is all you need "
I called Sacramento to the help line and they could not figure out where it would go either. I called the CHP and they said it should go on record some where, but didn't have a clue. I work for a large company that licenses a lot of our vehicles. I asked our license clerk to check into it. It seems her contact couldn't find out anything about the endoresement either. I mentioned my license is up for renewal in a couple of years, what will happen? The DMV says I will probably have to test and get a new sticker.
Can you believe this ????

Exactly what I was saying, FRUSTRATING.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #20
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
They made me take a new picture and said I would get a whole new licenses.
I don`t think I`m going to worry about it till after Quartzsite. A friend
with a class A license said he would take Monty down for my test.