Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #21
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Hooker, I have turned to the MOC because the dealer doesn't seem to have the experience to advise well about the problem. The people here and other places that they have recommended seem to have thoughtful opinions backed up by experience.

KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #22
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KathyandDave

Hooker, I have turned to the MOC because the dealer doesn't seem to have the experience to advise well about the problem. The people here and other places that they have recommended seem to have thoughtful opinions backed up by experience.
Go find another dealer or go to an Allison dealer (www.allison.com).
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:48 AM   #23
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
As mentioned above, I would find another dealer. We had a transmission problem while down in the RGV, and I took the truck to Brownsville. The transmission man there had never worked on an Allison. Ended up at Kingsville, as they had a good Allison mechanic. Turned out it was a contact on the ignition not sending voltage to the tranny. Allison would shut down to protect itself from damage.

I'm curious about the cooling fan. No way you could miss the one on the GMC coming on. Heck, you can't hear the radio when it runs at full lock up.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #24
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I am wondering about the fan, myself. I have certainly heard a lot of noise as part of the symptoms. Is it possible that I am misinterpreting the noise as over-revving (low gear)? To be honest, when this occurs, I naturally panic a bit and pull over to avoid blowing something up. The next time this occurs, I will observe the revs and temps and proceed as if nothing bad is happening. Based on what I've learned about the shift points in T/H from reading a reference on Diesel Place, I think I can ignore the racket and stay analytical for a while. If the revs get above 2800, then the tranny isn't shifting up.
As for the dealers, I've tried the one we bought Sierra from. They know nothing. The closest dealer to us doesn't either, but the adviser is at least willing to investigate and his dad has a 3500 Silverado, so he's interested. After I researched tire pressures, he found an article in the GM service network that backed up my findings. Previously, the "guys" just did what they always did, which was wrong How does one find a dealer that has expertise?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #25
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
First time I heard that fan, I thought something bad was wrong. That is when I found tht DP site and learned a little about the Duramax. I could see anyone thinking the engine was over revving.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote