Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wet bolt kits - equalizer

I noticed in the other thread that some specified the kit they bought is the Dexter Axle K71-449-00 Heavy Duty Suspension Kit. The one MO Trailers installed on our Montana is the same thing except the number is K71-359-00.

I compared the part numbers of the parts in the kits and the only differences are

1. each has a different part number for the equalizer

2. one says it is for 33" wheel spacing and the other says 35"

3. the 359, like mine, is listed at 117.99 and the 449 is listed at 149.99. See pictures below.

ALL the other parts show the exact same part number in both kits.

My question is this... since ours has the OEM Mor/ryde RE rubber equalizer, does that mean the equalizer provided in the kit is not needed for these Montanas, the ones with the Mor/ryde RE? If so, couldn't some save money by purchasing the cheaper kit? I assume the equalizer makes the difference in the wheel spacing, if used? Maybe I need to crawl under to see if that equalizer is even used on our Montana.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

That's a no-go Steve, the MOR/ryde kit has special Z-brackets that mount the shackles to a metal plate that is part of the rubber shear spring assembly. The 2 kits you mention don't have the Z-bracket needed for the MOR/ryde equalizer to shackle connection.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I don't know what the connection points look like with the Mor/Ryde suspension as I have the older equalizer system. But you are absolutely correct the only difference between the KT71-449-00 and KT71-359-00 is the size of the equalizer. Note: this is the standard all metal equalizer, not the EquaFlex one. My supplier can not explain the difference in cost (around $45) for the slightly larger equalizer in the 449 kit. And our Montana's all have a 35" spacing which means they should use the 449 kit.

What they have done is use the cheaper 359 kit to get the bushings, bolts, and HD shackles. They re-use the larger (~ 7.5" between the holes for the springs vs. ~ 6.0" separation on the smaller) equalizer, assuming it is in good shape, and discard the new one in the kit. They do have to get six additional bushings and two wet bolts as the kit comes with the bushings installed in the equalizer and a Zerk fitting to lube the pivot hole.

It seems that if one can order the wet bolts (part 007-187-00) and bushings (part 014-077-00, then it follows one could also order the shackles (018-024-01 and 018-026-00) and forgo the equalizer altogether. The idea is to upgrade the shackles, bushings and bolts. The equalizer should be bullet-proof but then WorkerB posted that link to RVnet where someone had one that broke. Oh well!

I had posted I (and a couple of friends) got the wet bolt kit (actually the 359 one) for $119. Others are saying the kit is "much more". I bet the "much more" kit is the 449 with the 35" (correct) equalizer. All of us are correct.

The equalizers shipped in the kit have a Zerk on the top (to lubricate the pivot point hole) and a dry bolt attaching it to the frame hanger. If you have a wet bolt in the pivot hole and no Zerk on top, your old equalizer was re-used.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Steve, I think what you need is Dexter Part Number K71-358-00. This the single axle kit, so actually you need two of them. As pointed out, you have the Mor Ryde suspension so you don't need the equalizer. Kits run around $45 each (x2).
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
For the original equalizer type (not MorRyde), you can replace the equalizer bar and all the bushings with the TrailAir EquiFlex. This is a "drop-in" replacement for the original equipment and can give you wet bolts for each bushing and a rubber equalizer. While I believe MorRyde make a good product, it does take some cutting an welding to retrofit their RE system on an older unit.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
You can replace the equalizer with Trailair's Center Point system. Mush better ride than the OEM system.

http://www.trailair.com/products/centerpoint/
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for all the input. I'm not sure what we have. I checked the invoice again and it says it's the 359 kit. Since our Montana came with the Mor/Ryde RE, I assume they purchased the cheaper set that differs from the 344 only in the equalizer and in price, and then tossed the equalizer.

However, there is nothing on the invoice about Z brackets. I crawled under and took a look this morning. There is a zerk on the end of the bolt where the shackle attaches to the Z bracket. Stiles suggested by email that I check to see if it has a bushing. I cannot tell for sure without pulling a nut and I didn't do that this morning. The thickness of the "bolt" makes it appear it has a single bushing going all the way across the Z bracket and shackle. Would that be right?

I don't know whether they used a new Z bracket or the old one. It's not listed on the invoice. But at least there are grease fittings at the Z bracket to shackle attachment points.

I see the K71-358-00 kit that Tom S recommended is identical to the 359 and 449 except it excludes the equalizer, which is not used in my case anyhow. I don't see where Mor/Ryde directly sells parts like the Z-bracket but probably if you call them...
Old 07-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Steve,

Here is a pic of the stock z-bracket >>>

I think there is a loose spacer between the shackles that the bolt runs through, but no lube point or zerk. But, it might be just a shoulder bolt. Not sure on this.

Here is a pic of the MOR/ryde z-bracket >>>

It has a spacer welded in the bracket with a bronze bushing installed.

Here is a pic of the MOR/ryde z-bracket, the Dexter heavy duty shackles, the Dexter wet bolts, and a bronze bushing slipped over the wet bolt on the right (that gets pressed into the eye of the leaf spring) >>>

Note the zerk is in the wet bolt that goes through the z-bracket. Also, notice that the heavy duty shackles are about twice as thick as the stock shackles.

I would say that if your z-bracket looks like the one in the first picture (no welds), they installed a wet bolt in your old z-bracket, but the bracket does not have a bronze bushing. It would just be greasing the stock steel spacer(if there is one, that is), not necessarily a bad thing though. But, it could be that there will be wear where the spacer passes through the z-bracket

If your z-bracket has the welded in spacer like the second picture, then you would most likely have a bronze bushing in there.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thank you very much for those pictures. I will crawl under again to confirm but I'm pretty sure from your pictures that they put a wet bolt through the stock Z brackets. I do not recall at all the shoulder from the weld on the inside of the bracket. I think there is a spacer but will have to take another look.

Thanks again. That makes it much easier to figure out what we have. I appreciate it.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

That's what the MOC is all about, isn't it? Happy to help out whenever I can.

I love this place!

Old 07-19-2009, 05:35 AM   #11
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
KTManiac thanks for the education. A picture is truly worth a thousands words, and these are great pictures. Know we all know what to request, order, and check for.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
Thanks for the pictures...How hard are they to put on? Is this something you can put on in the driveway or does this need to go to the dealer and let them put them on? My trailer is at the Dealer right now getting some repairs made on it, so I can not check my shackles right now. Thanks, John Daniels
Texas Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Mr. Daniels

About putting them in yourself, not to bad a job if you have two people, 2 jacks, jack stands and the other tools most of us have hiden in the tool box.
I rolled into Fox Rv (Elkhart, In) at closing time and one of the mechanics said i'll stay and do them if you'll give me a hand. ( Like i was really a lot of help.) Long story short, he had them done in 40 minutes and what i observed about the process, its not bad at all if you have some idea of what is happening.
I am just glad i had it done after i had the wet shackleds put in and would recommend anyone that tows much have the wet bolts put in rather than just trying to keep a check for wear.
Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote