Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2009, 04:02 AM   #21
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Thanks everyone for the great information.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #22
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Great pictures and an excellent set of instructions. Taking the time to share experiences like this definitely make belonging to the MOC worthwhile. That spreader was ingenious.

Just a tip that comes from my time as a marine engineer. If you heat the spring end with a propane torch, not red hot just hot enough to not touch and also cool the sleeve/bushing in your freezer or in ice the sleeves/bushings should slip into the spring end easily. This "shrink" fitting is a common practice that I have used many times. Bushings are usually made a few thousands oversize and are either pressed or shrink fitted. The bushing material compresses as it warms (expands) and the bushing is held stationary inside the fitting by the tight fit. If it turns they will start to wear rapidly unless they are designed to allow lubrication on both sides (unusual) and running against a machined surface. Typically the inside surfaces of the spring ends or the equalizer fittings are not machined to provide a smooth bearing surface. Hope this helps others.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #23
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Argh, argh...my spring spreader...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #24
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
now thats a spreader! Tim Allen would be envious!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #25
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Thanks everyone ...we got one done so 3 more to go. Had not trouble greasing them.
When we purchased our kit in Indiana last Fall, we had to call and have them send the correct parts also.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #26
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I wish I had done this job myself, but I am by myself when it comes to heavy work so I have to pick my battles. I had this done at the dealer and it cost me $1000! But I was getting ready for a trip and had less time but more money.

Just to tease you do-it-yourselfers it took the dealer about 3 hours but they have all the right tools; no "jerry" rigging required. The only irritation is that I drove the rig back home and parked it to prepare for our next trip and I creepy-crawlied under the trailer to admire my new suspension and clean off the extra grease and found that almost ALL the zerk fittings were loose! I could have lost some on the 35 mile drive home. So I spent about an hour wiping everything clean and tightening down each fitting. Maybe that's why they were able to do it so fast... lol.

Apparently this is a common problem, not one of those "I don't have that" problem, but YOU WILL over time. Just to get you to thinking, these worn suspension parts could cause tire problems since you end up with a very sloppy suspension. I still had the Mission tires when this occurred and wouln't you like to know that right after I had the suspension upgraded one of the Mission tires failed on the very next trip (I discussed that on another topic forum).

So now I have a new suspension and put Goodyear Marathons all around including the spare. Daddy is happy now and so is Momma.

Adios,
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote