Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Water heater

We took the Monty out for the first time this past weekend and had a great time. One problem we had was that I couldn't get the water heater to work on electric. I reset the circuit breaker and pushed the reset buttons in the outside panel but no go. Am I missing something? Any suggestions before I start taking things apart? I don't even know where to start. The gas worked fine and we had plenty of hot water.

NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I'm taking it for granted that you know about the electric SWITCH located on the heater. If not, You access the heater by removing the panel on the outside. The switch is well hidden in the lower left hand corner.

One other Question, Did the water heater have water in it when you first powered up the electric?? If not, you burned out the electric heating element.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
On the outside panel an inch or so from the bottom and under the reset buttons is a black switch. It should have a "safety" pin it in. The pin keeps you from turning it on accidentally. Make sure that switch is on. My switch failed, the last time I turned it off it would not come back on. Got an exact replacement (well almost exact - no ON or OFF on it). Good luck and let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:22 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Bingo! Thank you John. I didn't see the switch. I'm an electrical contractor so I did know to fill it before I tried anything. We had so much fun trying out everything that we had info overload and I missed the switch. We're looking forward to meeting you in Byron.
Jim
Old 02-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Jim,
Don't feel bad about info overload. I fried my element the 1st time out and I'm a plumber. Had water in the hot water side but apparently there was a bypass in a cabinet behind the heater. Good ole MOC'rs helped me out as well. Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
And I always turned it off and put the pin back in place when we left a CG. Many have added an on/off switch inside the Montana.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:22 AM   #7
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
NCFishers, glad you got your question answered and your problem resolved. We have a breaker in the main box dedicated to the water heater. We turn the breaker off when we leave a campground and only turn it on upon arriving at a new place after determining we have 50 amp service. Doesn't like just 30 amp. We have our outside switch in the ON position all the time. Since we're fulltimers and don't ever store the rig, this system works for us. Isn't it wonderful to have a place to ask questions and get quick, "on the money" answers? Gotta love the MOC!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:56 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CanDo

NCFishers, glad you got your question answered and your problem resolved. We have a breaker in the main box dedicated to the water heater. We turn the breaker off when we leave a campground and only turn it on upon arriving at a new place after determining we have 50 amp service. Doesn't like just 30 amp. We have our outside switch in the ON position all the time. Since we're fulltimers and don't ever store the rig, this system works for us. Isn't it wonderful to have a place to ask questions and get quick, "on the money" answers? Gotta love the MOC!
I remember someone saying the circuit breakers at that, not switches. Using them as switches can weaken them.
Therefore, I suggest you get a replacement breaker or two in case you need them or consider installing a switch to act the switching process.
Good luck,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:04 AM   #9
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
We had a lighted switch installed in the kitchen area right above the water heater. Love the location - don't understand why Keystone didn't put something inside at the beginning.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:12 AM   #10
02pullin
Established Member

M.O.C. #8959
Our SOB before had the same problem getting the electrical to work on the water heater. I finally took off the panel on the inside to do a voltage check and found the the dealer (or Builder) never plugged in the water heater. Found the plug coiled up and had never been checked.

02pullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
CanDo,
John Kohl is right. Circuit breakers can get weak when used as switches. You can get switch rated circuit breakers though. We have a lighted switch on the control panel inside and the switch that I didn't see outside and they should be sufficient protection. I just won't turn the outdoor switch on until I'm sure there is water in the heater.