Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #21
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I'm just glad you were able to get it sorted out and get back on the road.
The first time changing one of those filters can be pretty tough as they don't give you much room to slip a filter wrench in there.
Hopefully, they improved the design on your truck since it is a newer model than mine. Next time mine gets changed, I will be putting two spacers on the bracket holding the filter to move it out just a tad.

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:08 PM   #22
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I would appreciate the scanned updates as mine is also a LMM.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #23
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Hugh no problem as soon as I get home I'll scan them to a pdf file and send by email to anyone that wants them.
I'm so pi.ed at my dealer that I'm copying them so that I can give 1 each to GM, servicemgr, and mechanic then I'm going to be asking each of them what is a afternoon, evening & morning of vacation time worth to them. I doubt I'll get anything but at least they'll know that I'm out for blood.

Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #24
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
The last time I changed the fuel filter, I removed the battery on the passenger's side. Makes a little more room over there to work.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:19 AM   #25
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Gang,
My 2005 LLY is a real pain to get to. The biggest challenge is to disconnect the water sensor wiring from the bottom of the filter, before you can even get a filter wrench on it. Then getting the wrench onto the filter is another real treat. Some engineer at GM must have not thought out the mechanics job or they would have made it much more easy to access. I've changed several in parking lots because the truck goes into Limp Home Mode, which allows for only 2K rpm or about 55mph. This will at least get you off the freeway for a change of filter. I've also tricked the computer by shutting the engine down and then pulling the key for about 5 minutes. After the 5 min. the engine has started properly and run well again. I have a Edge w/ Attitude which sometimes has caused me some trouble by making the computer think that it isn't getting enough fuel for the minute. I had that challenge while trying to pass another rig and all of a sudden the engine just slowed down.
I know you all are speaking of the 2007 models, but it seems as though GM hasn't really gotten the trouble cleared in newer rigs.
Best wishes
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #26
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stimpy123

Gang,
I know you all are speaking of the 2007 models, but it seems as though GM hasn't really gotten the trouble cleared in newer rigs.
Best wishes
Steve actually the DA is running great now after this computer update (9 of them) & my mpg seems to be better. Time will tell.

Just wanted to let everyone know that this seems to have solved my problems and I only lost a DAY of Vacation time. On the bright side,
it was fixed on a Saturday, on a holiday weekend, broke down within a mile of a RV park. (KOA) pricey but family was ok and had everything they could want while I was gone with truck.

It could have broke while we were in the Tetons (snowing Blizzard conditions, white outs). or while in Badlands and no dealers for miles. So all and all I thrilled that it happened where and when it did. As some of my closest friends have pointed out, we are being "watched" out for. And I do count my blessings.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:56 AM   #27
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Chuck -
Great attitude. This is my second DA and I am very happy so far. Mine is a 2008 and at 3k miles, it's already hitting almost 11 towing the Monty. I haven't had to change the filter on this one so far, but I have experienced the "limp home" mode before on the last DA. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #28
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
We just returned from a 10 day trip to Panama City Florida (St. Andrews State Park) I kept all receipts and mileage. Here is a summary:

Total miles (round trip) = 1605.5 Total Gallons= 145.5 for almost exact 11 miles per gallon (New Duramax/Allison 2008 first towing miles)

Total actual cost for fuel = $623.72 Lowest price = $4.059, Highest price = $4.499

Cost of campgrounds 10 nights total = $246.36

Total cost of campgrounds and fuel = $870.08

I figure the cost of fuel in my automobile (29 MPG @ $3.859) = 218.61
Total cost of 10 nights in motels (conservatively) = $930.00
Total cost of automobile on an identical trip = $ 1148.61

Advantage of RV trip over auto trip = $278.53

The figures for the RV trip are all actual, no estimates--no computer readout. Admittedly the figures for the auto trip are estimates, but I have tried to be "fair" to the automobile. I really do get 29-30 MPG, but the gasoline price would probably have been higher along the way. The subjective comparison is that we were taking the kind of trip we really preferred.

Just for the record!
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:36 PM   #29
cucalene
Established Member

M.O.C. #8260
Send a message via AIM to cucalene
I just bought the wrench to remove the water separator on the bottom of the filter. It is made by Lisle co. and the part # is 34350. It cost me $8.00 and I bought from Car Quest, it is also sold at NAPA stores and Pep Boys. Its a piece of flat stamped steel but realy helps remove the base.
Tim Gulla
cucalene is offline   Reply With Quote