Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
Battery life... what am I doing wrong!!

We have been RVing for the past 15 years or so. Living in the Cold North, we pack it up for the winter. I have always removed the battery and stored it inside. Make sure the water level is up and trickle charge it a few times during the winter. In the past, our battery would last 6 or 7 years no problem. After buying the Mountaineer in 2005, same drill. Spring of 2006, Battery will not hold a very long charge. Replaced it and and again after the winter 2007, same problem. Another new battery last year and after the winter, I put the battery back in a few days ago... Bingo, not holding a charge! The battery is the interstate that came with the 5th when new. The keep replacing the battery, but honestly, I think I am ready to buy another brand but not sure that would be the answer.

Any ideas? I would really like a battery that lasts 6-7 years again... thank you, Tim

tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Tim,
You need to test the battery outside the Monty and see if the problem is the Monty or the battery and your trickle charger.
You can test the draw off the battery when sitting idle in the Monty.
You can test the output of your converter to see if it is working.
There are a lot of variables to try.
Let us know what you find out.
Cheers and good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi Tim,
You suggest your initial season is Ok batterywise? Wonder if your storage habits have changed slightly? You do keep the battery stored off the ground or on a wooden surface? You are aware any Lead/Acid battery stored on concert will be toast in short order.
In your bag of tools you should get a specific gravity tool...you can then test each cell for its state (number of balls floating).
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:18 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
With the new battery cases it is no longer necessary to place the battery on boards. The old rubber cases allowed the charge to be drawn out sitting on concrete. With the new cases, they can now sit on the concrete floor.
A good fully charged battery should not lose it's charged sitting all winter. That is of course so long as there is no draw on the battery. Even the detectors in our rigs can draw a battery down after sitting for a while.
Trickle charging is not going to hurt either so long as you keep the water level up.
Speaking of water, NEVER use anything but "distilled water" to refill a battery. In an emergency tap water can be used but NEVER, NEVER add battery acid.

For more battery info, CLICK HERE and in the left hand column click on "Batteries"
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:32 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I wonder if your statement: "Make sure the water level is up and trickle charge it a few times during the winter." may be the problem. I used battery maintainers on my Tractor, large commercial mower, Sue's car, my old truck and two generators, all were fully charged this Spring. (Many of them were in freezing conditions)
It could be that the battery was down between trickle charges, and the trickle charge did not take.
Switch to a good battery maintainer, they are really nice.

Here is mine:
http://sports-imports.stores.yahoo.n...mpfulauto.html
Others on the market:
http://www.batteryweb.com/batterymindercomparison.cfm
http://www2.northerntool.com/product/12128.htm
http://www.batterycountry.com/ShopSite/chargers.html

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:43 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
You might want to check the output voltage of your trickle charger and the converter in the trailer. If the voltage is too high, (or too low for that matter) that could be your problem. You might consider buying a good "smart" charger that can properly maintain your battery, If you have an IOTA brand converter, there is an add-on accessory that will "smarten-up" the stock converter. (Check the IOTA web site).

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:14 AM   #7
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
Hi Tim,
I wonder if the batteries you had in the past and the ones you currently are having problems with are the same as far as amps of capacity. If the old batteries where stronger (more capacity) than the new ones, then the new ones will most likely run down much sooner.
If the problem is a difference in life from when you were using the same battery last season compare to the life this season, then I would check out all of the previously mentioned issues.
Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I had two interstate batteries in my MH which failed after two years use. My fault not the batteries. I left them in place in year two when storing but forgot to disconnect. When I checked the draw on the new batteries I found that the sensors etc drew about .3 amps. Thats enough to drain two 100 amp/hr batteries in less than a month.

I switched to AGM batteries. I fully charge them for storage and bring them back up about mid-way through storage (3 months). I don't use a trickle charger. I have a charger that goes into float mode, which reduces the voltage below the maximum of the battery. I use it now permanently attached to two batteries I use for emergency power for my propane fireplace in the event of a power failure during the winter. The worst one so far was 4 days.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I know a lot of people say that AGM batteries are too expensive. I said that originally when I was having my solar panels installed. But I have them now and wouldn't be without them. Please be sure you don't mix batteries. You will always have trouble maintaining a charge.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #10
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
Thanks everyone,

Great ideas.. now I am starting to wonder if it is the Monty and not the Battery after all? It is the other new variable now that I think of it. The batteries I have replaced have been Interstate brand. Always stored off cement floor. Also, although I check the water and pop the battery on the charger, I have never had to add any water the the added charge was not really needed. In fact, now that I thing this through, when I put the battery in, it was fully charged and had not been on a charger for over a month. Two days after I installed it in the Monty, it was dead. I recharged and a few days later dead again. I now think if I charge it and do not connect to the Monty, it will hold a charge for weeks... so, something in the Monty must be draining the battery fast. I do not have any lights on. the smoke detectors are connected. Seems like I need to go looking for something in the Monty that is draining the battery...

Time to don the detective hat and start checking the circuits with the handy electric meter Now, where to start?
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Is there a battery disconnect key on the Mountaineer?
There is in the 3400 RL and it's a good idea to disconnect for long periods of storage when 110 is not provided.

I have mine on 110 all the time but disconnect the "battery disconnect" to keep the battery from a continuous charge. A continuous trickle after time will evaporate the water. I'll turn the battery disconnect back on a few days before a trip. I keep a battery filler bottle (Specialy made for filling batteries) in the basement filled with distilled water. Only use distilled water as tap water has to many minerals that can be bad for the battery.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
After a speed read of this thread, and as a further disclaimer, I am really tired,

things like the frig ALSO will draw down the battery, right?? there is some little draw on the frig.

do you have a plug in flashlight?? they will KILL the battery too.

Also, that little button we push for the telie, makes the antenna work better, a booster or something, that is a draw, if you left it on by error, would not that do you in as well, more KILL the battery.

Now, when Al reads this in the next few days, he will tell me what I messed up, and I'll come edit this! HA HA

if you are not gonna have that rig plugged in, you are gonna need a disconnect. Then you won't have these little draws killing your battery.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:10 AM   #13
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Carol hit two of the big items that we forget draw continuously -- the TV antenae booster and those plug-in rechargeable flashlights. Some others that constantly pull-- your propane detector; (you already mentioned your smoke detectors (by the way, mine use 9-volt batteries and are not wired into the trailer wiring); and a big one is the moisture switch on the refridgerator. Even if the unit is turned off, I've found that mine still heats the door seal area and will drain my batteries in a day or so..

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:05 AM   #14
ckels
Established Member

M.O.C. #8244
One thing you can do to check for unwanted draw is to disconnect the neg cable from your battery (ies) and put a voltmeter in line (between the cable and the battery terminal). With everything turned off, there should be a reading of 0 volts. If you read 12V, or any voltage for that matter, start pulling fuses one at a time until the reading goes away. That will at least tell you what circuit the problem is in.
ckels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:24 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Guys and gals, all the information we post is good to know and remember, but tcorbitt, the O.P., is losing batteries after replacing them in his trailer after Winter. They are inside his dwelling in Wintertime, not in his trailer.
I think the problem is with his trickle charger, used on the battery occasionally, in the Winter.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ozz

I based my response on this data from tcorbitt:

"In fact, now that I thing this through, when I put the battery in, it was fully charged and had not been on a charger for over a month. Two days after I installed it in the Monty, it was dead. I recharged and a few days later dead again. I now think if I charge it and do not connect to the Monty, it will hold a charge for weeks... so, something in the Monty must be draining the battery fast"

But that was before coffee this AM and now is with a slightly clouded ill functioning brain???
Old 05-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Carol.
I missed his second post, my speed reading lacks much, I fear.
Thanks for being the sweet person that you are.
Sorry for missing your second post, tcorbitt.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ozz,

we still love ya!

Hey, I cannot count how many times I have misread something. SIGHHHH

I am not sure I read this right the 3rd time! HA HA
Old 05-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420

Ozz and Carol,
What on earth are you 2 talking about??? My early AM and before Java speeding reading tells me we are talking about Coconut Cream Pie or was it Hawian campgrounds? I don't recall one single word about Christmas!
You 2 really should drink at least 3 cups of CAFFINATED coffee before making such posts about change of life.
Now just to be sure I'm gonna RE-read the original post to make sure it was about the fall rally and had nothing to do with memopause.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:43 AM   #20
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
All wrong Glenn

we were discussing the murder of batteries!

Weren't we??