Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Carlisle Tires

Anyone have any good or bad about Carlisle tires?
They are made in the USA, so I have been told.

I'm looking at the G614's from BFG, but would like an opinion on Carlisle if there is one out there.

LonnieB,
Sent you an email. Hope you got it.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
All I've ever heard is negative about them. My tire dealer in East TX won't even carry their line. Only thing I ever had them on was a rear tine tiller. I wouldn't want them on anything else.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Anyone have any good or bad about Carlisle tires?
They are made in the USA, so I have been told.

I'm looking at the G614's from BFG, but would like an opinion on Carlisle if there is one out there.

LonnieB,
Sent you an email. Hope you got it.
Wayne,I was considering the Goodyear G614's with PSI 110.
Check out my post today under "PSI rated rims?"
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Had them on my SOB, prior to Monty. They are so bad that I would RUN if someone even offered me one. They are made in China, and are pure JUNK. Not to sugar-coat it, but you get the general idea.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thank you all. Carlisle is out of my picture for good.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Carlisle tires http://www.carlisletire.com/corporate/history.html

Unless Carlisle, Pa has moved to China they are made in the good old USA. Could it be that junk tires can also be made in the good old USA????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673

For me, they fall into the DON'T BUY category.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Carlisle tires http://www.carlisletire.com/corporate/history.html

Unless Carlisle, Pa has moved to China they are made in the good old USA. Could it be that junk tires can also be made in the good old USA????
Rich: There you go again, letting those pesky facts get in the way.g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
I've not had any problems with mine (3 years and 20K miles).
Old 05-02-2008, 12:54 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Having many years in the tire business and having that tire business located in Pennsylvania we sold many a Carlisle tire. We handled most every size of their trailer and motorcycle tires without incident. Sure we had some fail, mostly from road hazard but darn few from manufacturer defect. I would not hesitate putting Carlisles on my rig.

Rich is correct. Carlisle tires are made in good old Carlisle, Penna.
Please, if you are going to reference a site concerning anything and not just tires don't use RV.net or any other forum. I would never base an opinion about anything that I have read on a forum and as much as I hate to say that includes the MOC. There are way to many folks out there in "cyberspace" that are either totally ill-informed or just love to take the negative side of any discussion. I've been surfing the Internet for many many years, even before Al Gore invented it. Back in my Army days they told us not to believe anything we hear and only half of what we see. If there is one thing I have learned about this cyberspace thingy it's "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ AND/OR SEE".
As for the RV.net thread, the Irwins were referring to ONE tire failure. ONE tire failure does not make me want to boycott any brand. First of all, what caused the failure? Was it a defective tire?? Or was it something the Irwins ran over?? Or maybe they weren't all that attentive to their tires inflation. They are way to many variables for me to form any type of opinion good or bad.

Wayne, Please don't take a negative stand on Carlisle tires based on "the Irwins" comment. If you still want to believe in what you read on the Net than read the rest of the "the Irwins" RV.net thread and you will find very few continuing the negative attitude started by "the Irwins".

I hope I haven't upset anyone with this attitude toward Internet forums, especially our beloved MOC, but, in most cases, you have little to no idea who is behind that UserID. And you have no idea if they are spreading fact and not fiction.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:19 AM   #11
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Good post, Glenn.

Our new Big Sky came with Carlisle tires and I was just starting to do some research after reading the initial posts here on MOC. We experienced the Mission failures on our 2006, so I was definitely concerned and armed with no knowledge regarding Carlisle tires. I plan to continue the research as well as adding a monitor, but your tire experience is reassuring.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:56 AM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Good point Glenn; I'll take the word of my tire dealer over anyone on here.

I looked at the Carlisle site and see nothing to make me believe that they don't outsource any of their tires to China. And, there is no doubt there is crappy stuff made in the good ole USA. Just not near as much. JMHO
Old 05-02-2008, 03:26 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks to technology we have the information and Knowledge of mankind at our fingertips.We need but ask and press enter.As Glenn points out these forums are great sources of information but until the topic can be verified and is is simple to do, it is just words. Not knowing where Carlisle tires were made We needed to verify were they where made.. Go to Google type in "Carlisle tires" and the verification is there..total time to verify maybe 30 seconds. So simple.....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:33 AM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Glenn,
Point well taken and not offended at all. I read "what I wanted to read," and not the whole piece of information. I have been to the Carlisle web site and enjoyed the different "tires 101," pages they have. I guess I should not be looking for that platinum tire that will last 50,000 miles or 50 years, which ever comes first.

Also, the tires are being offered by my local Discount Tires Co, of which I have been doing business with since 1984 when I came to Texas City. I have never had any problems with the tires that they have supplied.

I'm presently rethinking my position. I wish I could find the G614 around here, but so far no luck. Also, if I don't have the high pressure rims could I run the G614's on 80 PSI with acceptable results?

Old 05-02-2008, 03:44 AM   #15
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Thanks to technology we have the information and Knowledge of mankind at our fingertips.We need but ask and press enter.As Glenn points out these forums are great sources of information but until the topic can be verified and is is simple to do, it is just words. Not knowing where Carlisle tires were made We needed to verify were they where made.. Go to Google type in "Carlisle tires" and the verification is there..total time to verify maybe 30 seconds. So simple.....
You're right Rich....Manufacturer and importer of agriculture, ATV, golf, aviation, trailer, lawn and garden tires.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:07 AM   #16
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
richfaa, the tires I referred to were stamped "Made in China" on the sidewall. Last time I checked, that wasn't in the U.S.

Best,
Gene
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:23 AM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hey y'all! Stop fighting!

I made a decision base on a phone call with an experienced tire person. There were several good selections to choose from, of which I decided to go with:

Michelin LT235/85R16XPS E

I'm going with the Michelin choice because they are available 1 mile form my house at Discount Tires. About $200 a tire, balanced, warrantied and installed. (Yeah! A little pricy, but $50 less than Wally-World, and $30 less than SAM's Club. Both of the later have to special order them.

Also, what may have been made in the good old USA last year, may very easily be made in a foreign country this year, and vice versa. It's where the lowest contract dollar is that determines where something is going to be manufactured. So y'all all may be right in your posting of where tires are made. And if you keep Googling, you will eventually get the answer you want. The voice of experience is worth more than the writings of Google.

Thank you all.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #18
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I don't think you can go wrong with the Michelin tires. I would imagine that is what we end up with. We don't need the G rated tires on the Mountaineer.

Your last paragraph really sums it up. Anything we purchase, regardless of previous experience, may be imported now.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:22 AM   #19
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Sorry to throw gas on these flames, BUT, we put Carlisles on our previous camper from Discount tires. We never had any problem with them but it was only a 7000 trailer. The sidewall of the tires was very plainly stamped MADE IN CHINA. What does that say, I really don't care where the company headquarters are, these were chinese tires. We went with a made in USA BFG Commercial LT23585r16. They seem to be working fine.

When looking for tires our next door neighbor in a Cambridge had had tire problems and he went with steel wheels (ugly ones at that) and tires off of a cement truck, 35ply or something like that. Man they were ugly, but he was happy.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:55 AM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Glenn,
You're right on. I don't know how many people I've talked to who swear by RV.net. Before I found this forum I used to frequent the RV.net forum and I'd always come away confused and somewhat disgusted by most of the posts. Since this forum came into being I have never gone back to that forum. Usually I get my answers here and when I share something from my experiences of over 30 years of RVing (almost eight full time) no one tries to do what my mother used to say: "Jump down your throat and gallop your guts out." Please excuse me if that's too graphic.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote