Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Darn Toilet!!!!!

I have had Hanna in twice for "not holding her water," in the toilet and she has been "fixed." However, each time it has only been for a short while.

We are out here again and Hanna is not holding her water - again! (Don't they have a pill for this????)

Question: I'm really, really tired of this Sealand piece of crap toilet. Has anyone replaced theirs with a different brand, and does it work better?

HELP!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Waynem, have you called the manufacture about this? I would try them and if you get no where the go to a different brand. We have a Thetford in out 3475. It did not come from the factory with the toilet.Good luck on getting Tana holding her water.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have a Sealand too. The only time it leaks is if users don't fully close the valve. Mine has a ball valve as a flush valve. If someone lets up too easy off the peddle, the ball doesn't seat in the back, i.e., water seeps out. When all parties make sure the valve is seated, no leak. Sealand may have other types of valves on other models.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Grease that sucker up! Ours was bad from the factory (seal had a cut in it). I replaced the seal and the service tech told us to coat it good with Vaseline ever month or so. So I keep rubber gloves and Vaseline; works great.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Mickey,
Plan on calling them in the morning. I found there phone number and will be prepared. New kits have been installed. One more thing to do is to tighten up the band clamp and see if that takes care of it.

Stiles,
The kit was supposed to have a stronger spring for closing the ball valve. One thing the instructions do say is that you should let the ball valve "SNAP" back by flushing and then quickly releasing your foot. Not a nice sound in the middle of the night. Neighbors will definitely know what you are up to. I can here them now, "Stiles, you woke up a few times last night, huh?" But it is the recommended way to close the valve.

Edited:
Will,
Ah! Yes! Good 'ol petroleum jelly. Works wonders for many things. Been there done that and still leaks. Now if someone is walking towards me with rubber gloves on, I run!
Old 03-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We don't close it with a loud bang. We just check to see that it is seated. We don't awaken each other at night by using the toilet. I don't think any of my neighbors would even notice.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:45 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I gave up...Tried everything..Sometimes it holds water..sometimes it does not..Bang it , Slam it, grease it, Change it..makes no difference..Might go a day, a week a month..then no water.IMO it is the tiniest bit of debris that maybe you can't even see that is the cause of the problem.Don't give it no thought any more.. If there is water in there...Great..if not we lift up on the flusher lever and water goes in.. problem solved.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:04 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Rich,
Nope! You can lift up on the filler and by the time you star to wet it's all gone. Leaks out that fast.

Now here is something that I read somewhere else doing a search on Sealand. It seems that a lot of campers have a problem with the seeland.

Have you ever tried the X method of using the bathroom? (No guys, not drawing your name!!)

Take two lenghts of toilet paper and place them in an "X" fashion in the bowl. The paper helps any solids to go down without touching the porcelan/plastic when you flush. Helps to keep the debris from getting in and around the seal.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:47 AM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
CW sells some stuff that has cocconut oil in it and it helped th seal the ball on the toilet and stop the slow leak, but after other problems came up under warintee (3 years) they replaced the whole thing for me.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Wayne....Now that is a leak..sounds like there is no seal at all.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #11
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Wayne I just had mine out to move it back. while out I took it all apart to clean and lub all parts. now keep in mind it has always held water but hey why not replace seal now. Called dometic and they sent new seal kit ups. also said to use super lube syn grease and not to use vasoline go figure.Also the new seal is hard plastic with a rubber center not like the old one. I put it in anyway newer model should be better right.Now I have to see if it will hold water. Heyyy if I could leave well enought alone it would be no fun. It is easy to take apart you lossen the big clamp and leave the bottom still on the floor top just sets off. sorry not being smartelic if folks already know this. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Everyone,
Thanks for the information. If there is going to be any repairs it will be done under warranty. I'm going to call Dometic on Monday and voice my displeasure and see what they say. This will be the third time it has been in for repair. 1st was a leak in the plumbing, second was not holding water. They replace everything with the kit, but the seal is still the rubber one. I know, cause I put the old "give me a finger" glove on and probed around down there. Felt like a proctologist for a few minutes, vaseline and all.

I had my druthers on using vaseline since I think it is petroleum based and that is not really good for rubber. One thing the Seland manual said was to use furniture wax, e.g., Pledge on the ball to help it slide. Guess it could be used on the seal also.

Doing a search on Seland indicates that the bowl not holding water is a wide spread problem (Oops! Sorry if I offended anyone with "wide spread!")
Old 03-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Man, I hope you can get this thing fixed so you can enjoy your unit. Frustrations can steal away your fun.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Stiles,
Worse case scenario is that I put in a port-a-potty. Pull the pail out every day and go empty it. NOT!