Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2008, 05:00 AM   #61
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That's what I mean about not taking any chances.. I use the additive because I can not yet be assured that all the jobbers are adding the proper additives to the fuel. I received much the same explaination from the BP and Marathon bulk farms near our home in Ohio yet the diesel guy here at the local Ford dealer in Florida says they tested fuel from some nearby stations and they DID NOT meet standards. It does not make sense that the jobber would not do it and risk bad publicity if engine damage occured.It still does not address Centene rating which as far as I can find comes out of the refining process at 40/41 and these new motors require 44/45??? This shinny new truck cost us a lot of money and we are on the road a lot and can not afford down time. What to do....what to do...

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:21 AM   #62
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Well, I guess I'm lucky with a 2003 so I don't have to be as concerned as those of you with the newer models. I'll continue to use PS and keep looking for the right answer, if there is any.

Here are 2 web sites to check out.

www.palatineoil.com/fuels.html is a local Marathon distributor.

www.clean-diesel.org/faqs.html, mentions:

Q. Do I need to put an additive in my fuel tank to replace the lubricity that was provided by the higher sulfur content?

A. Like Low Sulfur Diesel fuel, ULSD fuel requires good lubricity and corrosion inhibitors to prevent unacceptable engine wear. As necessary, additives to increase lubricity and to inhibit corrosion are added to ULSD fuel prior to its retail sale. With these additives, ULSD fuel is expected to perform as well as Low Sulfur Diesel fuel.

Q. What are the penalties for failing to comply with EPA's ULSD fuel standards?

A. The EPA standards provide strong incentives for suppliers to provide the proper ULSD fuel formulation. Civil penalties of up to $32,500 per violation per day can be assessed for non-compliance with EPA’s ULSD fuel standards, or for misrepresentation of the sulfur level of diesel fuel.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #63
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
If you'll notice the penalties are for failing to meet the EPS's ULSD standards as it pertains to sulfur and markings of the dispensing devices. Nothing that I read shows a penalty for not adding the correct amount of lubricity or other additives we're told are being added. As many have said -- it all depends on your own risk tolerance; I know for a fact that Dodge will use 'poor fuel quality' as a ready reason to disallow any warranty work on injectors or other applicable parts on the cummins.... right now they are arguing with a person for having the wrong fuel filter installed -- the 2006 and 2007 require a smaller micron rated filter than earlier -- they look identical so who would know if they didn't check the box first!!!

Oh well, I digress. Hope everyone is safe out there - weather looks bad further east.

Diesel still 399.9 here by the way.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #64
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I guess I don't have the filter problem as mine are always dealer installed. Regarding the sites and excerpts, it was just an FYI, not meant to solve anything.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:01 AM   #65
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Check this out, What Husky is doing in Canada. http://www.huskyenergy.ca/ourproducts/diesel/
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:30 PM   #66
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Dick: I would have thought the same thing however, one of 3 engines replaced in the past year were done at 'dealer' expense because of that very reason. Dealer put in the part that their books said was appropriate and when engine died STAR told them the wrong fuel filter was used, hence the injectors were damaged by bad fuel / contaminants getting past the filter. Now, I say dealer expense because that is what their tech was telling me -- STAR didn't approve warranty even though the books that the service / parts guys used stillhad the larger micron filter as being authorized. Told dealer something to the effect that they should have caught it on their TSB site (which is where I found it -- Turbo Diesel Registry forum is great for Dodge, know Ford and Chev/GMC have comparable sites!!).

In any case, as Rich has said in his posts - it is amazing what we have to know / do to keep our shiny vehicles running right...
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #67
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I am retired after 32 years in wholesale parts distribution with SOB automobile distributer and can only tell you that.........You're absolutely right!!!! No matter who tells you what, take it with a grain of salt and do your own research.

Too many times we would be told one thing by a dealer and have it contradicted by the factory and visa versa. More often than not we, at the parts depot, were able to give more info, doing our own research, to either the dealer or the factory. Unfortunately the customer is the one who gets the short end while the dealer and the factory play the blame game.