Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2007, 02:33 AM   #21
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We use an Aluminum tripod. It does make a big improvement, but probably JT type stabalizers are better. We have a TrailAir pin box with airbag and shock, and it still works with that arrangement.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:41 AM   #22
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have the JT's which take most of the movement out of the Montana. I do use the tripod just to have a place to attach my flag pole to. I will be leaving it in the garage next summer.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:57 AM   #23
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have a BI-Pod. Had a Tripod and found no difference between 2 or 3 legs except that the Bi-pod is lighter and easier to install. I use mine when set up for any extended stay of a week or more. BUT without the adjustable wheel chocks and frame jacks and having the rig LEVEL, IMHO, you are wasting your time trying to get out the wiggles. AND short of moving back into a stick house or sitting the rig up on blocks there is nothing that will get rid of 100% of the wiggles. 80 to 85% is about the best to expect and the remaining 15 to 20% is just a constant reminder that you are living the good life.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:17 AM   #24
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have a tripod and use it if more than overnighting. I can tell the difference when it is not there. And I use it as a kinp pin lock when in storage. But I am thinking I will add the JT Strongarms based on all the raves about them.
I have seen lots of different tripods from the very light aluminum ones (like I have) to some steel ones with individual screw legs that looked very heavy.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:05 AM   #25
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Like many others I have a steel bi-pod and I use it when set up for more than a weekend. When I bought my rig (admittedly a long time ago) the factory rep strongly advised one. He also advised against slide awnings and slide jacks but that is a whole other story. I have never used aluminum but can't imagine it wouldn't work. It certainly would be a whole lot lighter.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:47 AM   #26
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have the aluminum from CW and it does help with the "wiggles" (thanks Carol). And now it is a tree wrapped in garland with lights for Christmas! We had a steel one but this is much lighter and easier to use.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:29 AM   #27
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
You are welcome Sue, for the wiggles!

We use our tri with the Isolator air pin, and it has not been a problem.

We like that when the tri is set up we can barely push and get that wiggle. OK, here is what I am trying to say. Go stand near the front of rig, curb side or drivers side, but ON The side. Now, see if you can rock your rig, side to side, give her a push, sooooooooooooo, what kind of results do you get??

WHEN we have the tri installed we can barely push that thing BUT, when the tri is NOT installed, you can really get a lot of movement out of it.

Maybe wiggle is not the right word, but that bothers us, probably does not bother a bunch of you, that is great!! And, ya, we feel it inside too.

Maybe the next rig we can get those JT's and lose the tri???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:00 AM   #28
buschet1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7460
I have the aluminum tripod. It works fairly well. But the JT stabilizer is much better. And I understand that JT just lowered their prices.
buschet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:43 AM   #29
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
We use the aluminum model if staying more than one night. It can be used with the air pin box and does a good job of reducing the wiggles.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #30
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
You folks are great will all of your valued input. It seems from the informal poll that JT stabilizers were mentioned alot; some tripods are used for flag poles (I'm proud too!); some actually use them and a few carry them for ballast??

Anyway, thanks and your input was great! Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:43 PM   #31
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
I bought a tripod and used it maybe three times. I did not notice any improvement in reducing the wiggle. I opted for the JT's and what a big difference. I now have the tripod collecting dust in the shed. If anyone is in the Northern VA area and would like a free tripod let me know.

Lou
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:00 PM   #32
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CmdrDewey

Like many others I have a steel bi-pod and I use it when set up for more than a weekend. When I bought my rig (admittedly a long time ago) the factory rep strongly advised one. He also advised against slide awnings and slide jacks but that is a whole other story.
I'd advise against slide jacks as well since when the rig settles during the week the stress on the slides increase.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CmdrDewey
I have never used aluminum but can't imagine it wouldn't work. It certainly would be a whole lot lighter.
Can't imagine why it would not work or can't imagine that aluminum is strong enough to work?
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:17 PM   #33
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
I have a tripod I used once and it was a little bit of help. Wouldn't buy another one. If you really think about it, the trailer is suspended on leaf springs and rubber tires. No matter what you do short of putting it up on blocks with the blocks directly on the frame, you're gonna get wiggle.
Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:14 AM   #34
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I use the tripod. I need another thing to bump into or trip over anyhow, and it only takes a few minutes to set up. When the price of fuel goes down, I'll get the JT Stabilizers. :-)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:42 AM   #35
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Craig A

I have a tripod I used once and it was a little bit of help. Wouldn't buy another one. If you really think about it, the trailer is suspended on leaf springs and rubber tires. No matter what you do short of putting it up on blocks with the blocks directly on the frame, you're gonna get wiggle.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:53 AM   #36
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Craig,

If you think about it, your landing gear and rear jacks are tied to the frame. The rear jacks are intended to dampen the movement from the spring.

Springs have up and down travel, but very limited sideways action. It is the sideways action of the tire sidwalls and telescoping landing gear, as well as the flex in the rear jacks that JTs are engineered to overcome and they do so very successfully. The tripod cannot do that. It can only eliminate "bounce" that you might experience in the front nose beyond the stability of the landing gear.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:50 AM   #37
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Solves the problem of hitting your noggin on the pin.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:53 PM   #38
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
I had a tripod that I used always. Then I got the SteadyFast stabilizers and sold the tripod. Steadyfast.com (mike)
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #39
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
P.S. Steadyfast will have a booth in the RV show tent at Q'zite in January where folks can see the quality and judge for themselves. mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:38 AM   #40
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Thanks for the info on the steadyfast stabilizers Mike. I like to look at different products and you have provided me with that along with JT and others. Dennis