Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2007, 04:03 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Anyone fish?

Anyone on here fish any? We have a fishing boat here at the home base, and try to hit the lake when we can. We caught 153 bream last outing. Were going to go today, but looks like rain. I had stripped the gears in the fillet knife on the bream, so I had picked a new one up yesterday and wanted to break it in. Guess I'll have to wait. The mess of bream made 5 I/2 pounds of fillets. They are soooooo good!

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...8-20-07001.jpg

Forgot about that catfish DW caught.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:23 AM   #2
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
I love to fish!
What lake do you fish in?
That's one awesome looking catch!
They are good eating too!
When is the fish fry?
Catfish are my favorite fresh water fish.
I'd prefer saltwater, but we moved too far away.

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:39 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wifeofdano

I love to fish!
What lake do you fish in?
That's one awesome looking catch!
They are good eating too!
When is the fish fry?
Catfish are my favorite fresh water fish.
I'd prefer saltwater, but we moved too far away.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Those came out of a small East TX lake, Lake Murvaul, just south of Carthage, TX. They were out of the lake and in the frying pan the same day. BTW, I fried some of the bream fillets up using "panko" instead of cornmeal, and they were delicious.

We like the saltwater fishing also. We wintered in Port Mansfield and Aransas Pass, TX this year. I was very lucky, and caught two 27" speckled trout. Caught several more trout and reds. Lot's of hardhead catfish too. We went to Grand Isle, LA this summer and caught a few blue crabs. Stopped on the way there at Burn's Point, LA and caught a shark and DW caught a nice gaft topsail catfish. That place has to be the end of the world!

Old 09-04-2007, 04:56 AM   #4
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I love to fish and Don does not. I carry my fishing rod and reel with a small tackle box when we travel.

Wow! that is a lot of fish!!!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:30 AM   #5
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Only time I go fishing is with my brother, "Worlds Greatest Fisherman" according to him. He furnishes the boat, rod and reel, baits my hook, takes the fish off, and cleans them. Then I take them home and eat them. We only fish for Walleye in Banks Lake and Roosevelt Lake in Washington, my kind of fishing.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:33 AM   #6
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
Will, My best catch has got to be my 44" Cobia!
It was a Sunday morning about 10:00 in the Gulf out from Cedar Key, FL about 30 miles. The water was so calm and crytal clear, you could see the bottom. After I had it on my line, it took about half an hour to get it in the boat. It came to the top one time, a friend was leaning over the boat to get a hold of it when it dove again and I had him pinned to the boat! That was so funny! When we finally got it on board, it wouldn't even fit in the cooler! I downed a Mich and went to the cabin below and took a nap for an hour! And not one picture!!!!!! Oh well, I know how big it was!

What is "panko"?

On Edit: Just noticed that I'm (Wifeofdano) logged on under Dano!

Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dano

Will, My best catch has got to be my 44" Cobia!
It was a Sunday morning about 10:00 in the Gulf out from Cedar Key, FL about 30 miles. The water was so calm and crytal clear, you could see the bottom. After I had it on my line, it took about half an hour to get it in the boat. It came to the top one time, a friend was leaning over the boat to get a hold of it when it dove again and I had him pinned to the boat! That was so funny! When we finally got it on board, it wouldn't even fit in the cooler! I downed a Mich and went to the cabin below and took a nap for an hour! And not one picture!!!!!! Oh well, I know how big it was!

What is "panko"?

On Edit: Just noticed that I'm (Wifeofdano) logged on under Dano!
Japanese bread crumbs. IIRC, Asian bread crumbs are called panko also. They are terrific for breading shimp. We met a couple in Port Mansfield that were from VA City, VA. They had owned a fishing charter, and he made the most delicious fried shrimp we had ever eaten. He dredged them in flour, then in egg and milk mixture, then the panko. Makes my mouth water to think about them. I'm sure they have the panko in larger cities (none here), but we buy it at Port "A" Seafood at Port Aransas when we're down there.

That was a big fish. I've never caught saltwater fish that large. Been out a couple times, but not any huge fish. Now, I've caught alligator gar that large, snagging over in LA where I grew up.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:16 PM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I also enjoy fishing. We just got back from Stampede Reservoir near Truckee, CA. There is some awesome Kokonee fishing there. About three weeks ago I went to Sitka, Alaska on a three day Salmon & Halibut fishing trip. Great fishing in Alaska but the seas were not to friendly to me :-).
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:34 PM   #9
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Caught a 4# largemouth Bass Sunday morning. Also learning to fly fish. Caught a 3 in Bass on the fly rod. Was thrilled about the 3 incher due to it being the first catch on a fly rod. I did put him back. I'll try to get him again next year...lol
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #10
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Love to fish, but catch and release only. Unfortunately that comes from when I was young and my father took my brothers and me fishing every day. As the oldest it was my job to clean the fish. It just got to the point I couldn't look a fish. Close to 45 years ago now and I still won't clean a fish. Don't eat them either except when I get a taste for them, which is a couple of times a year.

However, I still love the fight when you get a nice one on the other end of the line. My dream is to go to the mountains and learn to fly fish.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #11
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
I love to take my grandkids fishing! "Granpa, can we go fishing?" I'm there right now! They are 5, 9,and 11 yrs old! Catch and release only!
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #12
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
Fishing is fun for sure. My DW and I have caught 10 salmon up to 13 lbs in the last two weeks fishing from the beach near where we live. And eating them is the best part!
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:27 AM   #13
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mtnhntr

Fishing is fun for sure. My DW and I have caught 10 salmon up to 13 lbs in the last two weeks fishing from the beach near where we live. And eating them is the best part!
I bet that has been a blast! My oldest sister just moved here after living in Portland, OR for 15 years. I never made it up while she was there. They eat lots of salmon. I never developed a taste for it. One of those things I can eat, but just don't really care for it. Perhaps I just never had fresh salmon or salmon cooked the right way. How do you cook it?
Old 09-05-2007, 02:46 AM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
A couple of ideas for Salmon:
Salmon steaks are great on a grill, just as they are, I even have been known to put BBQ sauce on them. However, my favorite (and the daughters - DW won't even touch fish) is to take a large piece of tin foil, butter it thoroughly, put lemon and pepper seasoning on the butter, and wrap Salmon filets well (to keep butter from leaking). They can be cooked then on a grill or in the oven. Melts in your mouth. Now I am going to have to go get some Salmon!!!!
Bingo
On edit: The tin foil procedure works great for trout also (my kind of fishing). I like spin fishing, fly fishing, bait fishing, I just like trout fishing!!!

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:42 AM   #15
mtnhntr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6254
SlickWillie- Salmon can taste really good or really bad depending on which kind (farm raised salmon don't taste as good to me), how it is taken care of in the field (needs to be bled and put on ice right away), and how it is prepared. The DW does the preparing - all I know is that it tastes best baked with some sort of creamy sauce over it, barbecued like Bingo says, and smoked. I am brining herring as I type this and we will be hitting the beach tomorow morning.
Ken
mtnhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:45 AM   #16
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
I just returned from Alaska (Kenai Peninsula) spent 9 days there four of us caught over 400#'s of Salmon & Halibut. I caught the biggest halibut I have ever caught 101#'s and it did not want to come into the boat. They shot it twice and then harpooned it, what fun I had.

Bill
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #17
party of 5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1764
I love to fish. I jut got back from a 5 day trip near bodega bay CA, bottom fishing and Salmon fishing. The salmon fishing was slow, no fish in 5 days. The bottom fishing was a little better 5 ling cod and sveral other misc bottom fish. Had a good fish fry on Saturady night. Love to fish for trout in the Sierra Nevada lakes and streams.The biggest fish I ever caught was a 175lb White Marlin in Cozumel Mexico. 1 and 1/2 hrs to get the fish on the boat. Took a couple of pictures, fish went back in the water. i drank a fee beers and was completly exhausted.
party of 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #18
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
Fishing,,,, we are at the lake here in Ontario and fish for walleye, just had a nice fish fry... then come fall we head to Port Aransas, Texas and do some jetty fishing,, o what fun, reds, flounder, sheepshead, trout etc... so much to do.. we both love to fish.. Dennis goes out on the party boats also and has some fun...
Life is good.
dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #19
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We missed it this year but usually spend 3 weeks to a month on Drummond island while the Herring are running around the 4th of July. There are fish frys twice a week and everyone takers home a years supply of canned and smoked fish. Can't wait to go next year.

We like to follow this up with walleye fishing in lower Lake Ontario and Salmon fishing in Lake MI. Luckily we have friends and relatives with boats.

This year we did some pan fishing on Lake Cumberland in KY and in Northern AZ at Show Low Lake.

We don't do the catch and release as a rule but consume everything we catch. We are lovers of all kinds of water food.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #20
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
It would be nice of Good Sam or someone with a large base would work on an international fishing license for those over 65 or full time, where we would pay one fee and be able to fish any where in the US.
II would make sense as we would all buy bait and rent boats etc to get the fish, so they may loose the license fee, but ever state would gain by what we spent fishing.. instead of NOT FISHING AT ALL. THINK ABOUT IT. I think it would be a great cause for a big organization to push..... Later John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote