Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2007, 10:43 AM   #41
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Gina 06

Brad,

I tried to get the power awning for ours but the dealer told me that they could not do it because the structural walls would not be able to stand the wieght of it. The dealer also said that Keystone told them it would void the warranty. Not sure if you have already checked into this if not might want to make sure with Keystone. Let us know because I do not like having to use the step to reach the awning braces...
Really??? Didn't I see one of these on the new Big Sky??? Maybe it was another unit... How much do those auto awnings weigh anyway? Might not want all the extra weight maybe...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:13 PM   #42
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Tom,

I just talked to the Carefree factory (they happen to be a few blocks from our office). According to them, there are no concerns for the structural integrity. The majority of the weight extended is on the original awning rail installed by the factory. The remaining weight and pressure when extended is supported by the vertical rails, which are far stronger than the factory aluminum tubing in the Montana frame, and the weight is distributed across the entire vertical awning channel. The channel is anchored at the top and bottom, just like the factory awning on the pin box end (short rail), and about midway down the door at the other end (long rail). Carefree said they have no engineered specifications for additional support on the power awnings, and that Keystone bolted up the Carefree Trav'lr power awning on the Big Sky to the same walls as our 3400. If keystone provided any additional structural support in the walls of the Big Sky it was not because of any Carefree requirements.

I am actually looking at the Eclipse power arms which reutilize my existing A&E roller tube and fabric. I prefer the Eclipse over the Trav'lr power arms that Keystone used on the Big Sky, just because the switch is built into the arm where you can watch it open and extend, and the pitch is fully adjustable and resets when retracted.

extend time - 28 seconds. Retract time 32 seconds.

I'm pursuing it seriously and will let you know if I hit any snags. I think I am going to try to contact Keystone as well if I can figure out who to call.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:25 PM   #43
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Brad and Dory, It is a beautiful Montana! Enjoyed looking at all the pictures. Lots of room and then some! Many Happy Camping Times!!

Bob and Kathy
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #44
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Brad, do you know how much extra weight this adds to the Montana relative to the standard awning weight?
Old 01-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #45
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dave,

Don't quote me, but I believe she said the arms weight 68lbs. However, it is probably a negligable difference, as the A&E arms get removed, and so does the main spring out of the roller tube. It's probably a trade off.

Brad
Old 01-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #46
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Sorry I didn't notice this thread before Brad...you and Dory got yourselves a mighty fine rig there. You must be very proud parents!

Boy would I love to get my hands on one of those units...maybe someday we can do it.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #47
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Ozzie,

We are sure excited. Dory wants to camp, and all I can think about is tearin it up to install goodies.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #48
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I hear that loud and clear...our rig is three years old and it's all I can do to stop myself. Winters are hard on the pocketbook.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #49
mailmanguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #6684
Brad and Dory,
Thank you for sharing your pictures. I truly enjoyed looking at them in detail. We too took delivery of a 2007 3400RL last Tuesday, and needless to say, can't wait to camp! Our unit also included the "little surprises" that you mentioned in yours, although we do not have the fireplace or central vac.

Again thank you and congrats on your new rig!
Guy & Kathy
mailmanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #50
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Guy and Kathy - and it sounds like Congratulations are in order for you as well!!

And welcome to the forum!
Old 01-27-2007, 02:35 AM   #51
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Brad,

Thanks for the heads up and will be watching for more on what you find out! Just another reason we will not return to the dealer we got ours from, lied to again. I work on the road and it sure would be nice for Gina to have the option of using the awning for herself. Just when I thought I was done with picking everything up for this thing....... LOL

Thanks again Brad,
Tom
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:22 AM   #52
glenski01
Established Member

M.O.C. #6561
Great looking unit Brad, I'm jealous we don't have a 5er yet but should have by Spring! Your pictures are wonderful. Like the interior color too.
Hey Brad, it's Saturday morning, and guess what IT'S SNOWING,,,,,again! I bet this is killing you, but hey you have that great inside storage you lucky devil. (hey do they have any more inside storage available? or is it a private deal you have?)

Another comment: sure looks long! We are struggling with length, but then the shorter models just do not seem spacious enough after seeing the 3400. I would imagine that after towing it a few times etc, that perhaps it will shrink up (at least in thought! )
glenski01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:17 AM   #53
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In this case ..Size does matter..If you are going to be spending a lot of time living in the camper the more room the better.Our opinion of course...Now most everyone who has a smaller model will say..'we have the XXXXX and have no problem with room" and that is of course true...for them. Towing is not a problem after a few trips.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 04:20 AM   #54
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Glen!

Snow for the 9th weekend in a row! I think I'll put the slip on mother nature and start working my job weekends so I can play during the 60 degree weekdays!

That 3400 shrank a lot in my mind when I actually got it backed into the storage space . That was my biggest concern, and I was all set to give up the space if it was too difficult. You're right though, once towing, it's quite manageable. Of course I used to tow the Monty and the boat, which was pushing over 70 feet.

It's a public storage space - I'll PM you the contact. Good luck on your new purchase!!

Brad
Old 01-27-2007, 04:43 AM   #55
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Congratulations!! I have a front AC on my 3475 and it measured 13feet 3 inches when on the TV (F-350 King Ranch long bed) A friend of mine went to Canada recently where the underpasses are in meters. I calculate 13'3" is 4.039 meters. With a 3 inch buffer the number is 4.115 meters. It has been suggested to put a Post It note on the dash with that number in meters so you want have any anxious moments approaching bridges and underpasses in Canada. We are heading to Alaska this year so Canada in on the way!. By the way--San Antonio is going to be about 70 degrees today--no snow--looks like much of the same for the rest of the week.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:52 AM   #56
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Tim - Good tip. We are actually hoping for a trip to Vermilion Bay in Canada this summer. It would not be a good time to have to get my calculator out as I'm traveling at 120 km/hr towards the tunnel!

I think I'll put those measurements on my pin box written upside down so I'll actually have a use for the hitchvision mirror! .

By the way, the new mirrors are convex, so you get a view of the whole forward truck bed area.

Brad
Old 01-28-2007, 06:57 AM   #57
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Brad: "D" loop at the Chatfield campground is open..........several of the campsites are plowed out. There is even a campground host out there. I think Cherry Creek SP is partially open as well. Take Dory camping. Take the new unit out.
Clyde
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:04 AM   #58
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Clyde - Thanks for the info! That sounds like an EXCELLENT idea! That would make a good spot for the maiden voyage AND I just got my parks pass in the mail yesterday.

Still got to load our stuff, hopefully next weekend. I suppose it's too much to ask to put the boat in the water too (hahahah), especially since the storage lot guy piled a 9' tall snow pile in front of it.

I'm in a much better mood now - got a plan
Old 01-29-2007, 04:58 AM   #59
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Brad, you can put your boat in the water here... and we also have all our sites plowed out.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:00 AM   #60
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Brad and Dory,

I just found this post, so I wanted to say congratulations on the new coach. Great pictures!! I hope you get to take her on a maiden voyage soon.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote