Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2006, 05:39 AM   #1
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Can you walk on slides?

Where we're parked the leaves have really been falling! We'll leave here in a couple of days so we're going to have to get the leaves off the slide roofs. Can you walk on them or just use a long broom and stand on the roof?? We've never been on our roof---looks like a long way up there to me!! TIA Marilyn

mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:45 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Yes,

On plant tour, at a Rally, one of the fellows stood on the slide (no slide toppers here folks )

He weighed about 180 or so, said no problem, and then proceeded to show us! Don't know if there is a weight limit or not.

We have slide toppers, so brush those off with long handled brush.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:53 AM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
mfoss
I weigh about 190, and have walked on the slides a couple of times. The bedroom slide is very sturdy and had no give to it, the livingroom though was a different story. I felt very uneasy about walking on it, as it's longer and seemed to have some give to it. I decided I could wash it good enough with a long brush, and didn't walk on it again. It probably would have held up just fine, and probably with alot more weight, I just felt like I shouldn't be on it.
Your right, it IS a long way up there, so be carefull. It is also a long way DOWN!!!
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:25 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I would assume the slide itself can take it, as you can sit about 7 people in the couch and dinette while the slide is out - however, I worry a little about the slide roof construction. The main roof is tapered trusses, the slide roofs are like the walls. Personally I would make it the exception rather than the rule!

JMHO
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
While giving the 3000rk a thorough going over at the Pomona rv show, I asked if I could climb on the ladder but not on the roof. The factory rep insisted that i get on the roof, which I did not do because some one else will own it. He went up first, bounced a couple times, then said look how well built the slide is. He jumped down on the living room slide, it did not seem to give any. With the way the slide held, and the way he literally jumped down on it, I wouldn't hesitate to step on it if needed, but as a last resort.
Hopefuly, ours will be in and ready for the pdi the 8th or the 10th of Dec. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:03 AM   #6
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
If we are staying in a campground with trees, I always climb on the roof and sweep the leaves off the tops of the slides with a long handled broom. Don't need to stand on the slides.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:02 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I get up on mine periodically to check all the seams, making sure there are no leaks. Yes, they will hold most men. I weigh 200 and have no problem.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:44 PM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have been on all of my slides and have had no problem. Most of the time I sweep them off with a long handled broom while standing on the roof. My brother has a battery powered blower he uses to blow off the debris while standing on the roof.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 10:03 AM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I walk on the roof and use a standard broom to sweep off the slides. I also use a standard mop to wash the slide roofs off as well. I am a tad heavier than those mentioned here, dont want to be the first to find out the slides cannot support 200+ pounds standing on them.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:58 PM   #10
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Yep, I've been on the slide roof several times. Our PDI guy took me up there and demonstrated that it was not a problem. The slide roofs can take the weight as also reinforced at both of our factory tours. As a rule of thumb, I use the long handled broom to push debris off the roof, but don't hesitat to walk on top for the occasional cleaning. Hope this helps.

Jim
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote