Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2006, 08:41 AM   #21
Gpa_Dick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5960
For me, if there was any hesitation about selling your house, then I would find a family member or friend to stay in the house for a year while you try this out. You can try the lifestyle and enjoy the grandkids. If you still have hesitation, at least, then, you will have something to go back to if you decide you can't do the full timing thing.

-Dick

2006.5 Montana 3400RL
(Ma Bella 2 'cuz Mary is Ma Bella 1)

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/sunandmoon/language/www/US/WA/Vancouver.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Vancouver, Washington Forecast" height=150 width=256[/img]

2002 Silverado 2500 LT CC SB 4x4 DMax/Allyson Prodigy Controller
Reese Signature Hitch

Gpa_Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:07 AM   #22
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Oh, there is no hesitation for me in selling our home. In fact, we know we have to some day anyway as my Dad has given us a life-long lease on his home in his will (but I hope that day is many years off before we would need to move to his home, even if part-time). We need to stay near my elderly father as I am the only living child and I want to be there for him when he needs me.

My husband & I both need to continue to work but more for the health insurance and neither of us are near retirement age. We are not independently wealthy so need the income to live on. We also do not have enough saved yet for retirement thus the need to work but mostly for the health coverage my husband carries.

I want to downsize so that is inevitable I feel whether it be an RV or mobile. We both would rather it be an RV but due to the fact we have to stay near our jobs and thus the winter weather, the mobile makes more sense probably. I could quite easily give up all the material possessions I believe except for a few keepsakes. In fact, whatever we move to, I am planning to let the majority of the furniture go with the house. We do have a small storage shed we will have at my Dad's that we can store a few things in which I wouldn't have much I feel I need to hang on to anyway.

Sandi & John & 3 Shih Tzu from Michigan (2 adult sons, 1 DIL)
Considering selling stick house, purchasing a Montana, living in it full-time locally so we can continue to live near my elderly father. Continuing to work full-time. Dreaming of the day we can head south for winter!
Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
To expound on PJ's comment about our 6 foot icicle, or "popsicle", as I called it... The mistake I made was to leave the dump valve open for the galley tank. The water would mostly run to the sewer ok but some stayed in the sewer hose and froze there. The next batch of water built up a bit more ice in the sewer hose. Pretty soon the hose was frozen shut and water stayed in the dump pipe slung under the rig. And there it froze. Of course, before it froze it backed up into the main dump pipe that drains the black and shower tanks and it froze there, too. So.... no way to dump. The lesson I learned is all valves remain closed until ready to dump. After dumping I disconnect the sewer hose from the Montana and raise/walk it to make sure it's empty. Then I reconnect it, ready for the next dump.

The relatively balmy weather PJ talked about was ten days with the highest high reaching 14F and the lowest low at minus 5F. Balmy my foot, PJ!

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:07 AM   #24
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Thanks Steve for explaining your situation (s/l just a minor operator error-lol).

That is one thing I had read on RV forums, even in summer, to always keep the dump valves closed until ready to dump. That is what we do anyway (right/wrong?). We were told that they will empty more thoroughly if there is more to be dumped due to just gravity/force. I can see where you would definitely want to do that in freezing temps. We all make mistakes for sure and hopefully learn from others which is extremely helpful and appreciated.

Considering selling stick house, purchasing a Montana, living in it full-time locally so we can continue to live near my elderly father. Continuing to work full-time. Dreaming of the day we can head south for winter!
Old 09-07-2006, 08:14 AM   #25
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Steve:

According to my Gal from Kalamazaoo, those temps you encountered in KC are "relatively balmy" compared to Michigan. Add snow hip deep to a moose every now and then, and "relatively" is the operative word...

See ya' in Goshen, best regards,

PJ, Nan and Scooter
3655FL
'99 Dodge Diesel 2500, BD auto trans, pwr chip, Pac brake, Bielsen shocks, Banks Exhaust.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 09:07 AM   #26
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
Sandy,
I am not full timing yet, but spend 5 months in mid-FLA. We found last winter the floors to be cold in our Monty when the temps got down at night. We also had it cold enough a couple of nights to freese our water hose.

I agree with all the above, staying in a travel trailer in Mich. is not a good idea. I do think you are very wise to sell the house and get rid of some stuff and go into a small
mobil home or park model. To some people, downsizing can be quite an ordeal. We did that when we sold our ranch with full basement to move into this small double wide in a park on the lake. It's 28W X 32L. Getting rid of stuff is easy in some ways, hard in others.

Another thing I though of, don't wear out a new Monty and go nowhere. Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

Salle & Samuel
South Central Virginia
2000 Montana 35'
1998 Chev 3500 Diesel

http://www.travelpost.com/NA/United_...e/entry/187052
vabluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #27
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We are getting ready to leave next Thu, 9/14 for Mt Pleasant, then moving further south on the 9/20 for Clyde, OH, then to the Rally the next day. We will not escape the cold. As you all can see the first cold mass of the season is moving down over the Midwest. This Sat and Sun night, we will more than likely approach frezzing temps up here in N. MI. So far, we have had a couple lower 40s for night temps, but we have not had to do anything with this Monty except keep the fireplace going and it has really been comfortable - floors not cold. Did run the furnace a little just to test it out. All vents work great and temp came up very quickly in the 5ver. I actually hope it does freeze. Need to test this thing out. Won't be a hard freeze (
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:52 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
LOL, PJ. I cannot argue with your logic! It was not exactly fun, though, trudging through 12 inches of snow at zero degrees at 2am to get to the bathhouse when waiting until morning just was not an option! We did that for almost two weeks.

I guess it was almost midnight in this picture.

Dave, keep that furnace running periodically and let us know how it goes. We'll also be in freezing weather in Nov/Dec.

Wannabe, I used to leave the gray tanks open until a day or so before ready to dump the black. Carol (Countryguy) convinced me its better to keep them closed until ready to dump so to wash out the little food particles that otherwise would stick to the bottom of the tank, etc.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL

Old 09-07-2006, 02:24 PM   #29
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Some folks out at the campground I'm staying at connect PCV piping to the sewer line and extend it to the in ground sewer and leave it attached all winter with the valves shut and only open them when it's time to dump. The PCV pipes are straight pipes with an elbow at the sewer hole and doesn't collect water. I plan on hooking one up to my unit in the next month or so and a few other things before the cold set in. I'll keep you guys updated on my winter adventure in my Montana Allison

2006 Montana 3500RL, MorRyde Suspension, W/D, 2nd A/C, Fantastic Fans, MaxxAir, Fireplace, RotoChocks, Slide Awnings. 2005 Ford F350 Lariat LE, PSD 4x4 Dually, Long Bed, C-Betr Mirrors, Vortex Spray-In Liner, Access Tonneau Cover, Remote Starter/Alarm, LED Running Board Lights
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:43 PM   #30
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Steve
That is one priceless picture! Were you smiling, I can't tell. LOL
Happy trails..................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:59 PM   #31
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Allison, we have seen that type of set up with seasonals as well. I think it sounds like a good idea. Obviously, I do not know how well it works but it must work or people wouldn't be doing it, right?

Old 09-08-2006, 04:22 PM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue, I somehow don't think I was smiling. That white stuff on my coat is snow. You'll probably like this one of Vicki, taken the same night.

I like the pvc pipe idea and have also see it. My problem is storing it the rest of the year. Maybe it's cheap enough to toss it and buy new the next winter. I'll have to check on that.

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL

Old 09-09-2006, 06:49 AM   #33
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Steve, I do like that picture of Vicki. I recognized that white stuff all to well. Those pictures remind me why I left upstate NY and I don't ever want to see that white stuff up close again. 10 years living in it was enough for a lifetime.
We've seen the PVC pipe as well on long time setups. I think you are right Steve, just toss at the end of the season instead of trying to find a place to store.
Happy trails.....................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #34
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Here's a site.....

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/cat...me=8761&Page=1

...that sells PVC piping a fittings. A 3inch x 12 foot section is $4.17 (if i recall). I need less than 7 feet and two elbows. You can always cut it into smaller sections and use fittings to connect each section, and if there is some place you could store the smaller sections when you don't need them it might work for you. Or you can just trash them at the end of the season. That is probably what I will do, since I don't plan on going through another winter in Ohio after the one coming up. at least that's what I'm saying now. it all depends on my job.

2006 Montana 3500RL, MorRyde Suspension, W/D, 2nd A/C, Fantastic Fans, MaxxAir, Fireplace, RotoChocks, Slide Awnings. 2005 Ford F350 Lariat LE, PSD 4x4 Dually, Long Bed, C-Betr Mirrors, Vortex Spray-In Liner, Access Tonneau Cover, Remote Starter/Alarm, LED Running Board Lights
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:11 PM   #35
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Anyone know how to connect sewer connections to a standard pvc pipe?

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL

Old 09-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #36
Doug and Anita
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3321
We sold a large home on 2.5 acres in the Texas Hill Country near Marble Falls and downsized to Montana 3295. We both work fulltime and now live on Lake Marble Falls about 200 yards from our office. Our 2 boys are in college in Austin and we saw our chance to live our dream. It was probably the best decision that we could have made. We will live in he RV park for 2-3 years before we retire and hit the road to explore America. We lived in our stick house for over 10 years and have never regretted our move. We feel like we are on vacation when we come home at night. What a great lifestyle.
Doug and Anita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:05 PM   #37
Doug and Anita
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3321
We sold a large home on 2.5 acres in the Texas Hill Country near Marble Falls and downsized to Montana 3295. We both work fulltime and now live on Lake Marble Falls about 200 yards from our office. Our 2 boys are in college in Austin and we saw our chance to live our dream. It was probably the best decision that we could have made. We will live in he RV park for 2-3 years before we retire and hit the road to explore America. We lived in our stick house for over 10 years and have never regretted our move. We feel like we are on vacation when we come home at night. What a great lifestyle.
Doug and Anita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:29 PM   #38
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
I wish our jobs were in a nice warm state like yours, as I know we would do what you are doing too without hesitation! I am really happy for you both that you are loving your decision and living your dream and will soon be able to travel too. Can't get any better than that!

Old 09-10-2006, 05:32 PM   #39
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
Wannabe, what we did was buy a cheaper RV and tried it for a year, if its still enjoyable, health and otherwise, then you can always upgrade. We upgraded to a 3400 RL and love it still after 2 years. We stay in 1 campground for 6 months and then go Texas and then over to Florida. Works for us. Loving Life and making memories... Hope that helps. Diane

Diane,Dennis & Taffy
2006 - 3400RL
2003 Silverado 2500 HD D/A, Prodigy Control
Reese 16K Slider
dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:54 PM   #40
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Diane, that's a great idea, but my only concern with FTWB's specific situation, is that they are determining if they can live in an RV in cold weather. Living in a cheap RV in the dead of winter in MI will not be the same experience as staying in a 2007 Montana, with all the cold weather upgrades. If they tried to judge their ability to do this on that experience, that wouldn't be helpful, I wouldn't think...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote