Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2005, 05:23 AM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Question regarding suspension system

I have a question. In our suspension system the springs connect in between the two axles at a bracket that lets the springs move and it rotates around a central point. Do you lube the areas in the bracket where it rotates and if so would the TFE slide spray be something good to spray on these connection points to reduce friction and make the motion smoother?
Also any one try changing to TrailAir. in this area?

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:09 AM   #2
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
If you look at the Dexter axle web site they have a service manual that you can download and it gives detailed information on servicing your axles.

On the "equalizer", the swivel bar between the two springs the center pivot bushing is usually nylon like the rest of the spring bushings. Spraying lubrication in there will not accomplish much. Especially if you don't disassemble the parts to lubricate them.

If you do not have the greasable spring shackles yet you need to look in to having them installed and they come with a grease fitting on that center bearing. Then you have brass oilite bushings instead of the thin nylon ones and you have grease fittings on all moving parts in the suspension. A very inexpensive upgrade that Keystone should start doing on all their units. My trailer has the new suspension and it handles much smoother on the highway. I know the suspension is solid and do not have to worry about that. So maybe its the piece of mind that I feel when towing.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 05:00 PM   #3
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Re TrailAir, just talked to a Monty owner the other day who has both the suspension and the hitch, and he loves it. His wife needs to ride in the rig sometimes in order to undergo dialysis while "on the road". Says it makes all the difference in the world.

Best,

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:21 AM   #4
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by patodonn

Re TrailAir, just talked to a Monty owner the other day who has both the suspension and the hitch, and he loves it. His wife needs to ride in the rig sometimes in order to undergo dialysis while "on the road". Says it makes all the difference in the world.

Best,

Knowing how an RV will come apart in a wreck, I would not let a single lving thing (including pets) ride back there while on the road.....

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:06 PM   #5
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
I agree with drhowell, I would really think about replacing these equalizers and shackles with greeseable's

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote