Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
dmacy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8921
Another shower leak

My 09 3465 seems to have developed a water leak at the base of the tub surround at the back corner next to the toilet between the cabnet and the shower. I have caulked the entire surround on the inside to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

dmacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Try caulking around the faucet. Mine was letting water drip in because it didn't tighten up enough against the tub. I had water coming from under the tub and some in the garage as well. The faucet caulk fixed it. Also the two screws at the base of the door opening are bad about letting water leak under the tub also. Remove the screws and use some sealant there too. You really can't tell by where the water is coming out because in all of these cases it runs out depending on the leveling of your rig from underneath the entire fixture. Tough to tell exactly where it leaks.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:34 AM   #3
gregh9999
Established Member

M.O.C. #8671
I just finished redoing my shower in my 09 3455SA. What I found was that the water was getting in and under the aluminum shower enclosure frame.

So I caulked all of the places where the glass meets the metal, and where there are metal joints. I then caulked the outside of the enclosure where it meets the tub. This is the way it should be done in the first place. Then any open seams or gaps just leak into the frame. And I removed some of the existing caulk from the inside where the side panel meets the tub. This is how I allow any accumulated water in the frames to drain back into the tub.

I also found a poor caulking job at the base of the black U-channel that is screwed into the white shower panel. I removed the side panel, the U-channel, and caulked in the spot where the tub and shower panel meet. The U-channel was covering up a path for the water.
gregh9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
dmacy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8921
Thanks for the input. I guess I will have to rip it apart and redo the total surround. I guess I will have to take the time to do it right.
Thanks
Dave
Old 04-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
Dmax07
Established Member

M.O.C. #7949
Try this first. I found my leak to be from around the drain connection to the shower pan. Undo the drain connection, clean it and then reinstall it with new plumbers putty. Putty gets old and brittle and flex in the shower pan causes it to crack then leak.
Dmax07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:10 AM   #6
Michael Biancardi

M.O.C. #10364
Also check the faucet. I had a leak and found it to be a loose fitting at the faucet. The leak was a mystery and keep thinking was somewhere else. Don't tear everything apart until you check the faucet, drain etc.
Michael Biancardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:13 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
The drain area could be the leak, don't know if your shower drain is easy to get to but if you can remove the drain pipe and there is a small pipe and more than likely its cracked?? Good Luck. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
dmacy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8921
The leak is on top of the tub under the glass channel in the right rear corner next to the toilet. I have resealed the complete channel and glass and it still leaks. I guess I will have to take all the glass off and reseal the channels and the base channel. I can see the tub drain and the surrounding floor from inside the side compartment and that is all dry.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
This is a test of the subscription function. Desert RVer please let us know if you get a subscription notice via email.

Thank you,
RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
I've caulked everything and have decided that it must be leaking between the tub enclosure and the plastic enclosure....is it possible to remove those plastic plugs that hold it and pull the panel out for access?
av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Clemson1881

Try caulking around the faucet. Mine was letting water drip in because it didn't tighten up enough against the tub. I had water coming from under the tub and some in the garage as well. The faucet caulk fixed it. Also the two screws at the base of the door opening are bad about letting water leak under the tub also. Remove the screws and use some sealant there too. You really can't tell by where the water is coming out because in all of these cases it runs out depending on the leveling of your rig from underneath the entire fixture. Tough to tell exactly where it leaks.
I developed a leak last fall that ran under the tub and came out above the conveince center. Over the winter I calked all along the metal along the plastic etc. First weekend out and still leaking. Checked out your suggestion about the 2 screws in the shower and sure enough they are loose and rusty. I will seal them up tomorrow and see if that cures it. Great forum!!
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Rick mine leaked around the drain a few yrs ago. I replaced it with a SS one and no problems till this pass summer it started leaking at the wall where the glass frame attaches to the suround. I caulked it temporary and I removed everything this winter and started at the floor and fixed it all. Thanks to Bernie (Icehouse) for posting his repair on this it made it alot easyer when you can see what it looked like before you start.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote