Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2011, 04:21 AM   #1
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
TV Tires - Bridgestone Duravis

My 2008 GMC came with L265/70R/17 Bridgestone Duravis M700 tires. Two of the tires need replacing. I have a brand new spare, so I'm thinking of buying just one new tire and using the new spare for the 2nd tire, and using one of the worn tires as the spare. I have 36,000 miles on the two tires that need replacing, so I'm wondering how the Bridgestone Duravis M700 compares to other tire brands. Two of the 4 tires seem to have a lot of tread wear left. I've rotated the tires, but perhaps I left the 2 worn tires on the back too long. If there are better tires will they work with the 2 Duravis M700 tires that I would still have on the truck.

I appreciate your input.

dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
David, our 2007.5 Chevrolet came with the Bridgestone Duravis M700's, same size as yours. I believe if you check your spare it maybe a Bridgestone Duravis M773, size LT265/65R16 and not an LT265/70R/17 as are the main 4 tires. The overall tire diameter of both sizes is the same therefore the spare functions just fine. The spare is about 50 lbs less on maximum load than the main 4 tires. The spare must cost GM less or there is room contraint to place a 70R/17 on the spare tire rack underneath.

I would check with a reputable tire dealer first before going to that spare if indeed what I am stating is correct in your situation.

I ultimately purchased 4 new tires after 49000 miles on the originals.

I ordered and received 4 Michelin LTX A/T 2 (On-/Off-Road All-Terrain from TireRack.com and had a local tire store install them for about $20. per tire including balancing.

The Bridgestone OEM product was fine for me but the new tires are great and very road quiet. Hope this helps. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Mail2us (Dennis),

Thank you for your response. After reading your submitted reply I crawled under my truck and checked my spare. My spare tire is exactly what you stated in your reply. My spare tire is a Duravis M773-L265/65R/16. I checked my bill of sale that has a listing of the truck equipment and it also states the spare tire is a M773. I used a tread depth gage and the tires I feel will require replacing vary between 6/32 and 7/32 versus the other two are between 8/32 and 9/32. I believe tire shops recommend replacing tires once they get to 4/32. I would like to work towards getting better tires (once the worn tires get down to 4/32), so now I need to find a brand that will work well with the two Duravis tires that I will not replace right away, but once they wear more I will replace them with the same brand I hope to buy soon.

Any one have recommendations on what brand would work well with the Bridgestone Duravis M700?
Old 05-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Get hold of Lonnie, he is the expert on tires.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As Bigred715 said, LonnieB is a tire expert. I believe the Duravis is one of the brands/models he listed as good tires. I have no idea how well they wear, however.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:20 AM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
dpam, you asked if there were better tires which will work with the 2 remaining Duravis M700 tires. Without knowing how, where, or under what conditions you drive, it's difficult to answer your question. If your talking about mileage, the answer is yes.
  • Michelin LTX M/S-2 - This tire has a 70000 mile limited treadwear warranty. As far as I know, it is the only LT rated tire with a mileage warranty. It has fair traction in mud, and excellent traction on snow and ice.
  • Michelin LTX A/T-2 - This tire is rated for 70000 miles but there is no warranty for that as far as I know. It has excellent traction in mud and snow, and good traction on ice.
  • BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A - I have seen this tire run 65 to 70 thousand miles consistently. It has good traction in mud, and excellent traction on snow and ice.

For highway driving, the three tires listed will definately last longer than the OEM Bridgestone M700, and you shouldn't see any difference in the way your truck handles.

LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Lonnie, thank you very much for the input on the 3 tire brands you recommended. I guess I'll have to do some shopping and check out the 3 brands and then make a decision. I guess my 2 worn Duravis tires will last another 2/32nds and then I'll replace them with one of the 3 you've recommended. After that I'll replace the remaining Duravis with the same new tires. I live in Calgary Alberta, which is about 60 miles from the Rocky Mtns, therefore I do a fair amount of driving in snow and ice during the winter. I don't do any off road driving, but want a tire that is excellent on snow and ice, and is stable on wet pavment with reasonable mileage . I found the Duravis to be poor on snow and ice, and I'm getting poor mileage. I assume an A/T tire provides better traction than an M/S tire. I assume an A/T tire has more road noise, but if it provides better traction I can live with the additional noise. I'm also very interested in a stable tire while pulling our Monty 3150RL.

Again, thank you for your reply.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:45 AM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dpam

. I assume an A/T tire provides better traction than an M/S tire. I assume an A/T tire has more road noise, but if it provides better traction I can live with the additional noise. I'm also very interested in a stable tire while pulling our Monty 3150RL.
I believe it is the other way around, the M/S tire is better in snow and mud than the A/S.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:45 AM   #9
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
We have the Michelin A/T2's and they seem quieter than the Duravis 700 OEM we replaced.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #10
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:
quote:By 8.1al

I believe it is the other way around, the M/S tire is better in snow and mud than the A/S.
You are correct, however, if you go back and read dpam's post again, you'll see he never mentioned A/S, nor did I.
  • A/S = All Season or occasionally, All Steel
  • M/S = Mud and Snow
  • A/T = All Terraim

dpam, after reading your last post and now knowing the conditions in which you drive, any one of the three I mentioned will do a good job for you. The list I posted is in order of best first. There are others I could recommend for less money, but the mileage isn't as good as the ones listed.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #11
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
You're right Lonnie, I guess there were just too many letters thrown together there for my mind to digest
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
David,

As we live in the same city I'd like to offer my experience...

Out of the last three trucks I've owned (not including the current) two of them had BFG T/A's. While they were great for three seasons... they were poor on snow and ice. For example, the parking lot at the Carriage House was icy where I had to stop on a small incline to exit onto MacLeod Trail. I had to put it into four wheel drive to get out. That's only one example of many... I did get 130,000 kms out of them where I changed them out for Nokian's and didn't have a problem on ice after that.

The other truck was two wheel drive where I had to take the BFG's off during the winter and opted for Michelin LTX and was happy with those.

IMO BFG rubber compound is too hard for our climate. Great for wear but lousy for traction on ice...

I will however go with the BFG Commercial T/A for the Monty when it comes in. I just won't put any BFG on the TV.

How's the Maxxis tires on the 3150 working for you?
08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:38 AM   #13
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Tim, thanks for the input on tires. So far I'm leaning towards the Michelin LTX M/S2 tires.

So far the Maxxis tires on our monty are great. The tires are about 14 months old on the monty with approximately 18,000 miles with no problems. Last week I was under the trailer and I checked the tires and the tread seems great with even wear. Speed rating for the Maxxis tires is 65 MPH, but we usually tow at 58 - 60 MPH, so that isn't a problem for us. When we bought the 3150RL they had Goodyear Marathon tires, so I negotiated with the dealer to take off the Marathon tires and replace them with the Maxxis tires. On our previous 5th wheel it had Marathon tires and I had two tire blow outs.

When its time to replace the Maxxis tires I'll most likely go with Maxxis again. I know some people have gone with LT tires for their trailers, so I plan to monitor how LT tires perform on a 5th wheel. Our first 5th wheel came with Goodyear LT tires and after the first year the tread started to peel (seperate) off the tires, so at that time Goodyear at no charge replaced all 5 tires with the Marathon "time bombs". Because of my Goodyear tire experience I will not buy another Goodyear tire.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #14
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
IMO, I think that's a wise decision going with the Michelin LTX. I liked them a lot for a year round tire and wouldn't hesitate to put them on the current TV when the time comes.

I negotiated the same deal as you about the trailer tires... (Must be the same dealer ) My High Country came in yesterday and as I type this the Towmasters are coming off and BFG COmmercial T/A's are going on including the spare. Like I said above, I won't put another BFG on the TV but from everyone's advice on this board I know it'll be a good tire for the Monty!
08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote