Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Workamping
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2011, 05:30 AM   #1
otnoel521
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10179
Standing Indian Campground

Dave & I will be camp hosting at Standing Indian Campground in the Nantahala National Forest from April 1, 2011 through May 31, 2011.

This campground is approximately 12 miles West of Franklin, NC. This campground is within hiking distance from the Appalachian Trail with several marked trails that lead up to the AT from the campground. We hosted for three weeks in November and were invited back to work in the spring.

Please visit our website to see pictures and a journal of our experiences in the area.
https://sites.google.com/site/daveol...untitledpost-1

This campground is part of the National Parks system and is a dry camping facility. Last year they rebuilt the Bathroom/Shower facilities. There are 5 loops with a total of 81 available campsites. Be aware that loop 5 is primarily meant for small pop-ups or tent camping. The sites that will accomodate a 25 ft + Monty include Loops 2, 3 & 4 although loop 1 has a few sites that will accomodate. I have included the link to ReserveAmerica where you can get further details:

http://www.reserveamerica.com/campin...Id=75077<br />

Dave & I will be the hosts of Loop 4. Feel free to contact us if you have any further questions. If you are in the area stop by and see us.

otnoel521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by otnoel521

Dave & I will be camp hosting at Standing Indian Campground in the Nantahala National Forest from April 1, 2011 through May 31, 2011.

This campground is approximately 12 miles West of Franklin, NC. This campground is within hiking distance from the Appalachian Trail with several marked trails that lead up to the AT from the campground. We hosted for three weeks in November and were invited back to work in the spring.

Please visit our website to see pictures and a journal of our experiences in the area.
https://sites.google.com/site/daveol...untitledpost-1

This campground is part of the National Parks system and is a dry camping facility. Last year they rebuilt the Bathroom/Shower facilities. There are 5 loops with a total of 81 available campsites. Be aware that loop 5 is primarily meant for small pop-ups or tent camping. The sites that will accomodate a 25 ft + Monty include Loops 2, 3 & 4 although loop 1 has a few sites that will accomodate. I have included the link to ReserveAmerica where you can get further details:

http://www.reserveamerica.com/campin...Id=75077<br />

Dave & I will be the hosts of Loop 4. Feel free to contact us if you have any further questions. If you are in the area stop by and see us.

Like your outfits...reminds me of my childhood!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
I have "fond" memories of Standing Indian! Some years ago, as a Scoutmaster here in Florida, we took the Troop on a backpacking trip on the AT, and used Standing Indian as our base. On the first day out on the trail I slipped and broke my tibia, which the non weight bearing bone (Thankfully!) in the leg. Spent one night in a shelter, then the next morning left the Troop with several Assistant Scoutmasters, took my youngest son as a body guard, and hiked back down 5 miles to Standing Indian again. Got x-rays and spent the next 4 days living in a backpacking tent with an air cast on my leg and crutches, while we waited for the rest of the Troop to finish their treck. While we were waiting, word spread through the Standing Indian community of campers, and my son and I were well looked after by the hosts and others.

Two years later, my wife and son accompanied me back to "beat the mountain" on our own. We parked the pop up at Standing Indian and set out for a 5 day trip. Well, after really severe rains we had to call a halt after 4 days on the AT, but felt we had beaten the mountain well enough. We went back to the pop up, set it up and got ready for showers and found the bath houses had been closed due to water pollution!! Packed up and headed down the road to a nearby commercial campground with hot showers and cold ice cream. So I'm glad to hear they have replaced the bath houses, and I hope you guys have a great time there. And if you get any beat up looking Scouters on crutches, I trust you will be as kind as they were then!!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote