Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Fumoto Drain Plugs

I was just about to order a Fumoto "F111" drain plug for my 2006 Ford 6.0L when I noticed something about the plug. The threads go up a ways into the drain pan which implies to me that not all the oil will make it out, because the oil at the very bottom of the oil pan will not be able to go over the threaded part.

However, I hope that only a few tablespoons of oil will be left behind and since my truck carries 14 quarts and 1 quart in the filter, this small amount not getting drained out will not matter.

I can get that last few tablespoonfuls out by removing the plug after the majority of oil has drained but I really don't want to do this. After all, it's supposed to be a cleaner way of draining and removing that plug will not get me that. This plug should also save me from dragging any tools under the truck during an oil change. Nice!

Are there any owners of the Fumoto (or other brand) in the MOC that can comment? Also, is it worth ordering the 1/2" nipple longer nipple (F111N) just in case I want to attach a hose to drain the oil away from where it usually drops? I can easily get under the truck, but am wondering if this provides any extra convenience? The truck certainly has the clearance.

I have about 2 to 4 weeks before my oil change is due and I'd like to replace the standard plug at that time so I hope to order soon. I will keep the old plug as a spare until I am very comfortable with the new Fumoto.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I installed one on my F350. Love it.
I personally decided against the longer nipple. Reason was that I do go off road and thought the extra length may hit something and the ability to attach a hose did not seem to be of value.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I have one and am pleased. Do not have the nipple. If you are greatly concerned about leaving a little oil in the pan because the fitting goes too far in the pan, trim it back a tad. The reason I did not get the nipple is because I some times travel in rough terrain and did not want to chance breaking the fitting off.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
I installed one in my truck 2 oil changes ago (I wonder why I didn't do it before!!)

I didn't notice that it took any less oil to refill my truck. Even if it did take a little less, the oil remaining is not like poison (it's additives may be depleted, but it's still oil)

The convenience and lack of mess are well worth the cost of the part!
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Art, I have one on my Dodge and have had one on other vehicles. Got mine from Geno's Garage, no complaints, no problems. Fumoto makes them for just about all vehicles, big or small.
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Had a Fumoto drain plug with the nipple on all my Duramax's, however that was when I changed my oil. Never had a issue with the Fumoto, and with the nipple I could control the direction of the oil as most know on a Duramax the oil has a tendency to hit the skid plate. But now with the Freightliner and it holds 7 gals I have it changed just to much trouble of deposing the. GBY......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Two changes ago, I installed one on my truck, and I think the next change I'll be going back to the old plug. I change my oil cold on the belief that all the oil is in the pan and you don't have to wait for the oil to drain down from the heads. The opening on the Fumoto valve is a lot smaller than the oil pan plug and it takes FOREVER for the oil to drain. Old method took maybe 10 minutes. With the Fumoto valve it was over a half hour. Ambient air temp was low 60's so the 5W oil should have flowed fine. I even loosened the fill cap thinking maybe it getting air locked.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:02 AM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I don’t have any information on the plug but I will share what someone told me about the 6.0 engines. I was at a diesel mechanic last summer when our turbo hose came loose. While talking with the mechanic he stated that the 6.0 engines were a very good engine but they had a bad rep. He indicated that whenever an oil change was done that there were always 2 quarts of oil that was trapped inside the engine due to the way it was designed. He stated that it got trapped inside of a “Vee” formation on the engine and that there would always be 2 quarts of oil that would remain in the engine. I have always tried to keep the oil changed on a regular basis. I haven’t had this confirmed with the Ford garage but I don’t have any reason to doubt this guy. They seemed to know their stuff.

Take it for what it's worth but I thought I would share it with everyone.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:40 AM   #9
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
If that was true, wouldn't the refill amount be 2 quarts less than the stated capacity?
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 04:50 AM   #10
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Art,
Had one on previous rig, and have one on my Ford. Love it! No more dropped plugs and oily hands and arms. Flick the lever and she drains. I also regulate the flow so it doesn't gush out and run over the top of my drain pan.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:52 AM   #11
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Clyde n Deb

If that was true, wouldn't the refill amount be 2 quarts less than the stated capacity?

Good thought but I called this same guy and asked him again; he told me the only way to get all of the oil out was to tear the engine apart or turn it upside down. The oil gets caught in a vee trap area. He stated that if the oil was totally drained that it would take about 17 or 18 quarts to completely re-fill it then. It would be good to hear this from another source though. He also stated that the 6.0 was built by International.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #12
jjfavret
Established Member

M.O.C. #8918
I have had one on my 2004 6.0 for 5 years with no problem. I got the nipple for changing oil outside. just slip the hose on the nip and flip the lever. I usually stop the flow when tub half full and dump the tub. That way, not a lot of oil to handle at once. I take the filter out while oil is draining ( second half ) and filter does not make a mess that way. The messiest part of the job is greasing the fittings. I wished I had known about those things 30 years ago.
jjfavret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It sounds like the benefits are good over the bad. I heard that the oil takes longer to drain because the opening is smaller, but I'll use that time to replace the oil filter. I will work slow and meticulous so I have the time. I do have a huge drain pan so I'll skip the nipple since there is plenty of room to "creepy crawly" under there to flip the fitting and let it drain. Without the nipple it will keep the Fumoto closer to the drain pan (nothing hanging down).

jjfavret - what do you mean by greasing the fittings? Are you talking about the lube job part of an oil change? I know I have to oil up the new filter but a quick dip of the finger in the new oil to coat as necessary and I'm done. The lube job is already a pain, but at least the oil draining should improve.

Regarding the 2 quarts left behind, maybe that's why the book says to use 14 new quarts of oil and one more for the filter and not 16. But that should mix pretty good with any leftover oil in the engine. Knowing that, I certainly won't worry about a few tablespoons left behind by the Fumoto. I will use the Fumoto as is. With my luck with a power (or manual) tool to trim the Fumoto and I'll be shopping for a replacement or spend some time in the hospital.

Thanks for the help, advice and cautions. I think I'm ordering the nippleless (is that a word?) F-111.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
Tom

All the engine makers recommend changing the oil while warm (that way, any suspended "junk" will not have a chance to fall out and lay in the bottom of the pan) and the free-er flowing oil will drain better

With the fumoto plug, the risk of burning yourself with the hot oil is nearly gone, and the warm/hot oil will run back to the pan pretty quickly anyway
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #15
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Art,
Have one on my 7.3L and love it. I originally got it so it would be easy to get some oil out for analysis. It has worked flawlessly for 2 years and 25K miles.
Jack