Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Toads

Hope this is the right forum. Anyway . . . I saw a pic of a MOC member towing a trailer with a golf cart on it behind his fifth wheeler. I sent him a question about that via e-mail and he chose not to respond, so . . . my question is "Is this legal?" My dealer tells me that here in Virginia it is a violation to tow anything with the 5er.
Is he blowing smoke or is that the case? What about in other states?
Also, I'd guess if you had to back up for any reason a bit of a situation might develop.
Any ideas?
Regards,
Jerry and Sandy

Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Jerry here it SC I pull mine and have pulled it in NC,Tn,ga It is double towing you will see alot of tractor& trailers pulling two trailers that is legal. I went to a state trooper that I know he said it is legal and he pulls his that way. now there are folks on here that think safety is a factor I wont argue that I do it JMHO. look at my Sig.
bobby
(On edit) you do need a good hitch on the montana
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would check with your State for the real answer to the question. I would not do it my self because I am one of those who think it is a safety issue to tow anything behind a 5th wheel. We would really like to pull the Honda back there. It would make life a lot easier...But.....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
It is legal here in Mi. providing that the overall length does not exceed 60'. Its been done here for yrs, but every state has there own set of laws. I also think that in most cases no one will bother you in most states as scductman said in his post. Safe is how you drive and prepare in my opinion, but thats just my opinion.

Have a good day all.
Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
As Rich said you need to check with your state i know here in Louisiana you can double tow
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Most any state west of the Mississippi allows double towing (some refer to it as triple towing)east of the Mississippi, some do and some don't. There are several websites that list by state what configuration you can tow in. Here in the Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas area the max length is 65', but many of us are a little over. I've never been or heard of anyone being stopped and measured. There will be some chime in about all the negatives ... there will be some chime in about all the positives. Some wouldn't put a bicycle behind their fiver and in the same breath load the 60 gal fresh water tank (@680 lbs)located nearly on the end of the frame ... hop in the truck and drive away. I propose go with what you are comfortable doing. That being said, I've towed jetskis and boats behind 2 different Montana's for over 10 years with no worries. A good hitch bolted to the rear frame is mandatory.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:57 AM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
It is my understanding that Keystone says only 200# should be placed on any hitch on the back of a Montana. It that's true, I certainly would not tow anything back there, the stress would be more than 200#.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
It is not legal in Washington State. I would think if you thought you could tow into to a state where it is not legal the state patrol would let you know real fast. If it was grandfathered in because your home state allowed it every trucking outfit would be hauling triple rigs on all roads.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
If you look at a sneider road atlas triple towing is a tractor pulling "3" pup trailers. I have one That is where I found out. JMHO.
bobby
Old 12-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
Check these links out. They lists all states
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
http://www.hitchemup.com/statetowinglaws.htm
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

It is my understanding that Keystone says only 200# should be placed on any hitch on the back of a Montana. It that's true, I certainly would not tow anything back there, the stress would be more than 200#.
Tom, If I'm not mistaken, and I could be, the 200 lbs was in regards to the inch and 1/4 receiver they put on the newer models. Their original intent was to allow folks to haul a bike rack and a couple of bikes. Several of the leaders at Keystone rallied against the hitch but upper management won out.

We had a 2 inch receiver welded to the frame by MorRyde. They say it is rated for 3,000 lbs and a 300 lb tongue weight. We only plan to haul bikes with ours but wanted something more substantial than the tiny hitch that Keystone put on. We realize these are MorRydes figures but we, in no way, plan on exceeding anything.

The proviso from Keystone was a warranty issue and since we are long out of that we are not as concerned about warranty issues. If we break it-we will buy it, so to speak.

They weighed us at the service center in Oct and counseled us on that, so I imagine that was a CYA thing on their part and possibly to deny a claim in the future. At least I can see the writing on the wall....richfaa might be able to add to this as, I believe, he had the same hitch installed.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #12
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Phil...I'm not questioning the hitch, but the ability of the frame to handle whatever is on the hitch.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #13
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Phil You are right about the hitches. I built my hitch out of 3"x3" heavy wall tubeing cross braced with 1.5"x1.5" tubeing and welded in the frame Then a 2" receiver. I tried to make the frame a box at the rear.
Johnnyg Those are good links The first one shows no triple towing in alot of states and the second shows you can tow 2 trailers. Makes me feel better about double towing.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Phil is correct. We had the same sturdy hitch installed at Mor Ryde. I have no problem with the numbers Mor Ryde quoted. Ohio list 65 feet overall length. Ohio measures at the TPK gate for length and we are nearly 54 feet truck and 3400. I have/do drive a lot of big things and the truck/5th wheel/ tow behind setup just makes me uncomfortable I would hate to have to stop all that stuff.. Just my opinion...I do not think it is safe. Way to little brake power.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:18 AM   #15
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
18 states and the District of Columbia do NOT allow a doubble pull. Most western states except Wa and Or allow it. The biggest resistance seems to be in the east. We, meaning Sallie and I, both pull our 5er with the quads behind. Total length is right around 65ft. We do try and keep the hitch weight to under 200 lbs.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote