Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
spinky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1106
Livingroom slide stopping on way in

When we put the livingroom slide in it will stop part way in. We wait a second and then it goes a bit farther and stops again. I'm always afraid we will be camping somewhere and it won't come in all of the way. Anyone have any ideas.
Sherri

spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
That sounds like the circuit breaker issue that's been discussed here before.

Not sure how to search for the previous thread, or I would have pointed you to it - sorry...
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree it sounds like the circuit breaker. It's an auto resetting breaker. That's why it works again in a few seconds. Those who have had this problem in the past replaced them with 50amp auto resetting breakers. Keystone installed 50amp in some and smaller ones in others. Who knows why. But they did tell us, several of us, that going to a 50amp breaker is fine. In fact, back in 2003 when we had that problem they sent out a letter our dealer showed us describing the situation and saying to replace with a 50amp breaker.

Hope this helps.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:14 AM   #4
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Steve, do I go to an auto parts store and get a 50 amp breaker or are there different types.

Thanks
Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:26 AM   #5
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
50 amp breakers are hard to find at a reasonable cost, several posts have stated that Keystone said go to an 80 amp, I saw that somewhere also. I put 2 40amp berakers in parallel to make 80, it soleved our problem. We had the same thing. The 2 40 amp breakers were about 6 or 7 bucks, the 80 amp reset breaker was 87.00, I'm cheap so didn't do that one.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:34 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ray, I don't know for sure as our dealer took care of it.

Others have posted what JimF reported, that adding a second breaker in parallel accomplishes the same thing.

I would think an auto parts store would have the breakers, at least the smaller ones. Maybe those who have bought them will chime in. Sorry I'm no help on that.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If you call Lippert (or Winnebago) they will tell you to put a 50 amp circuit breaker in parallel with the present 50 amp circuit breaker.

Here is the Thread on it.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We had the same problem and read here that some were having problems with the Hyd. pump not being ground properly. Checked ours and found that it was ground through the plastic tray under the Hyd. pump. Took grounding strap and moved it to the metal side and no more stopping when retracting the slides. Good luck!
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
Had this same problem on my SOB and replaced the circuit breaker. If I remember correctly, I bought it at O'Reilly's Auto Parts.
maphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
My Monty had that problem and was caused by two different things.

First, I complained to the dealer and under warranty they upgraded the autoresetting circuit breaker.

After a couple of trips this started to happen again. But this time I checked the user's guide and it said the reservoir should be filled up to 1/2" from the top with Type A trans fluid but I could not find Type A anywhere and contacted the MOC for recommendations.

Most MOCers said use anything but most suggested Mercon/Dexron. I purchased a Mercon/Dexron compliant fluid and will avoid Type F (old Ford type of tranny oil). I checked the reservoir and found it to be very low (how come the dealer didn't fill it up). Now it's filled up and the slides have gone in and out without stopping for a couple of cycles.

I will try again on our next trip and hope the problem is taken care of for good.

Please note that others have posted other reasons for this problem. Hopefully you get enough information to find was solves your issue.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
MIMF (Lippert) told us to buy the cheapest ATF we can buy as it is fine for this purpose. But those mentioned above should be fine, too.

One other thought on the stopping. I suspect the breaker is tripping. That seems pretty likely. If the breaker is actually plenty strong to handle the load, then it's possible the load has increased, causing a higher draw to move the slide. One common reason for that is that the slide mechanism needs lubrication. Silicone spray will work but doesn't seem to last very long. Any lubricant that will not attract and hold dirt will work. Just spray the teeth on those rails under the slide. Also, shoot some lube into the gearpacks just inside that hole where the rails come out of the rig. This needs to be done occasionally, in any case, so might be worth a try to see if it solves your problem. You may still have a weak or too small circuit breaker.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #12
02pullin
Established Member

M.O.C. #8959
Just a thought... How good is your battery. During storage I have the battery disconnected and if I don't give it time to charge up the same thing will happen.
02pullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We just had ours back to the dealer for a leak in the super slide. One of the other things on the fix it list was the breaker for the slides. It was replaced the first time, under warranty, and still continued to over heat and would work again after waiting about 30 seconds. I was afraid that we would be some where and have to hand crank the slides in so they replaced it with an 80 amp breaker. This time it was out of our pocket, but hubby doesn't like to mess with electricity so necessary. They tested the amperage on the warranty breaker and it was pulling 48 amps when the slides were coming in.

Have only used the 80 amp breaker once so far and it worked fine.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #14
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
As Fire5er posted, check the ground. A bad ground can cause a higher amp draw, causing more heat. Heat make the breaker blow, and resets when it cools off. A 50amp should work fine, but two 40's in parallel will work fine. Any RV center should have them or can get them. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #15
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kerry

As Fire5er posted, check the ground. A bad ground can cause a higher amp draw, causing more heat. Heat make the breaker blow, and resets when it cools off. A 50amp should work fine, but two 40's in parallel will work fine. Any RV center should have them or can get them. Kerry
I can see a loose ground causing the slide pump to not run correctly, but I can not see an increase in amperage. A loose ground should increase resistance in the circuit, thus reducing current draw. JMHO
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #16
spinky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1106
Thank you everyone for your help. We will certainly check this out.
spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #17
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Can't speak to the technical aspect of the issue was, but repositioning the ground from the hydraulic pump worked for us when we had the same problem.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #18
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I guess one of the wierdest clues of this is that he specified it was the living room slide that was experiencing this start/stop problem. I am not familiar with that floor plan, but we have made suggestions that are typical for problems with all slides, at least mine were.

But if the living room is the heaviest slide he is having trouble with then a bad ground or weak circuit breaker would correspond to that. Does anyone have additional ideas that could relate to the living room slide? Maybe the slide needs some maintenance/lubrication so it does not bind or stress and cause an overage. Just another idea.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #19
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Our large slide does the same thing. We just let it set for a minute and then it comes right in. I suspect that it can use some lube.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:47 AM   #20
Gumby56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6290
Spinky,

Try these 2 posts:
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...34&whichpage=2
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=31758

I had the same issue. One post has the lipert technical information and the other has where I was able to get the breaker shown in the documentation. Since I have replced the breaker it has worked great.
Gumby56 is offline   Reply With Quote