Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
ard103
Established Member

M.O.C. #9000
Another new tire suggestion request

I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 4X4 Crew Cab Dually pulling a 2006 3400RL. The original tires are 225/75R17. After reading the info here on the MOC I plan on putting the Michelin Ribs on the RV this fall. The local Chevy dealer has offered the General Grabber TR or AW, or the Firestone Transforce H/T. Are these good choices for the truck or is there another tire I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance to all

Alan

ard103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I would never buy tires from a dealer. JMHO
If you are putting Michelins on the trailer why not put them on the truck too?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
Somewhere on this site I shared the following: I just put six Michelin 21575R16 XPS Traction tires on my 2006 Duramax Crew Cab Dually and I'm very please with the tires. So much so that when I have to re-tire the 2008 3400RL, I'll be going back to Costco for four more Michelins.
deadeyenevermisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The markup for a auto dealer in tires is like buying double retail plus they are limited in what you can get. I would recommend you try a tire distributor/wholesaler/retailer for your tires. Also, know what tires you need in GREAT detail. Besides size, there is weight rating, speed rating, plies (helps with weight rating). Stick to major brands and avoid the "real deal" especially if it's for a non-major tire name.

Look up LonnieB - he works for "Tire Country" in New Mexico and can help you with tire specs and brands. His posts are common around this forum's membership when it comes to tire advice.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Alan, I have the Generals on my '08 GM dually, Odd size, not many replacements but was told I could put MIchelin LTX MS in 235X80X17 (I beleive that's the size he quoted me) on mine. I have the General Grabber AW 225-75-17 and will not be getting more than 30,000 on them. Personally, I would not have a Firestone.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Alan, I have has my best luck with Michelin but others will tell you they had better luck with brand XYZ. So I'll skip that part.

I do STRONGLY suggest that you buy your tires from a reputable tire dealer and NOT your Chev dealer. In all my years in the tire business, both wholesale and retail, I have yet to meet an Auto/Truck dealer that knew anything about tires. Sales?? You bet. They will try to sell anything to make a buck. Product Knowledge?? Very little.

If that reputable tire dealer has locations nationwide all the better. If not at least buy a brand name that is sold nationwide.

BTW-My definition of a Reputable Tire Dealer is a dealer that specializes in tire sales and service. A dealer that has been in the tire business and understands all aspects of the tire business. The last thing you want is some kid who just last week was asking "Do you want fries with that?" Not your local corner service station, WalMart, KMart, Sam's Club, Cosco, etc.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
ard103
Established Member

M.O.C. #9000
The dealer I am seeing will put on any tire that I request and said that they would beat any price I bring in. The downfall I see upfront is that they do not offer lifetime balance and rotation which could be significant over the life of the tires. I would like to go with a Michelin but did not see one offered in the stock size on the truck. I guess I was kinda looking for someone with the same truck as mine that had gone to a Michelin or other tire that was working well and could give the specifics on the tire such as load rating, exact size, noise, etc.

Thanks again to everyone,

Alan
ard103 is offline   Reply With Quote