Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #21
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Good Job John.....thanks.....I weighed my truck and have made arrangements to take the trailer up next week, when I explained the situation the guys that do the weights for the big trucks all told me I wont likely need an "A" Licence, but to get the thing done anyway just to be sure and have the proof with me.. ......BTW...while I was there I was asked If I had an "A" Licence.......not wanting to invite trouble I asked why....the Quarry manager points to a huge truck and trailer sitting in the yard......"Need to load that puppy with about 20 tons of stone for Dallas TX...cant get a driver...you interested???" OK!! I'll do it...I said.....first thing... show me how to start it.... I think that is the reason we need an RV class of Licence vs a blanket "A"....... they are actually using Bruce Peninsula cut/sawn stone for some big complex down there.....

Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:25 AM   #22
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
Thank for the up to date info.
I Guess I got that CVOR the year before they changed the rules. At least it was free.
Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:43 AM   #23
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Well the weather was such that I couldnt resist the temptation...I broke the storage and hooked up the RV...After a short set up with the new P3 we were on our way...I went to the quarry and got us all weighed....as a group....DW didnt think it was very funny at all that we should have a scale that big just for her...It towed quite nicely, but we are accustomed to the noises and quirks of the Sprinter so it was a learning experience... I will post the weights..but only because I am unable to properly decipher them...I cannot use a downloadable chart as my MS office 2003 is locked solid with a fatal error of some kind..

EDITTED AND CORRECTED......

Truck alone
Frt 1970 Kg....4340 Lbs
Rr 1560 Kg....3435 Lbs
Total 3530 Kg....7770 lbs

Truck and RV
Frt 1970 Kg....4340 lbs
Rr 4590 Kg....9180 lbs
Total 6560 Kg....14432lbs

Trk + RV 8340 Kg....18350 lbs
Trk Rr axle+RV 3790 Kg.... 8340 lbs
RV only 4940 Kg....10900 lbs
RV + Rr Trk 6400 Kg....14100 lbs

It appears that........the trailer weighs in at 10900 lbs.***about 800 lbs over my Licence weight restriction..but when attached to the truck the pin weight transfers 2560 lbs to the truck....That seems Heavy and is about 28%...The truck is level and doesnt appear to be heavy to the rear....the trailer is nose down by about 2 or 3 inches over 34 ft.(would changing the hitch height change anything??) ..I can raise the hitch by one notch(Husky 16K)..There isnt much added weight in the front of the trailer,,I could move some of that into the trucks tool box..Steering seems a little light so there is too much weight on the back..but it doesnt show as being heavy..

I know I have to increase my RGW.. its 3000Kg now and I will bump it up to 4500Kg...I THINK the weight that I am concerned about(in relation to the "G" Lic)would be the Trk Rr + RV weight of 3790Kg in
comparison to the allowed 4600Kg, IS that right??? If it is right then We are a "good to go" as far as continuing to RV..and finally, If the RV only weight of 4940Kg (its just about completely loaded with all the stuff we normally travel with..) Do you think the MTO guys would get overly upset or concerned about 400Kg overweight???..

I thank those that would advise me on this...In order to find the conversions from Kg to Lbs... multiply 1 Kg by 2.2 ....1Kg = 2.2lbs.. its close enough ..
Old 05-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #24
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I'm having difficulty trying to understand your numbers. Let me start with a question about the weight of your RV. You say the RV axles weigh in at 6400 kg (which doesn't include the pin weight carried by the truck) and that the RV only weighs in at 4940 kg. Should that be the other way around?

Next, your truck rear axle weighs 1560 kg unloaded and 4590 kg with the added RV pin weight (no change in the front axle weight) for a net gain of 3030 kg due to the pin weight. Seems a bit much to me.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #25
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
WW, I don't think the 6400 kg for the trailer axles only can be right, want to double that one? That is the one you need for your license class.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #26
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
WW, I took another look, and there are few things that don't seem to make sense, e.g. you seem to have a 3030 kg pin wt, (way high), and adding that 3030 kg to the truck does not seem to have any effect on the front axle (unlikely). Did someone mess up the metric conversion? It might make more sense if some of those weights were actually pounds rather than kilograms. Unless you can see an obvious error, I think I agree with you, get a fresh set of weights somewhere that can do it right.

By the way, were you fully loaded as you would be for camping? wife, dog, fuel etc in the truck, tanks at normal travel levels, clothes and food on board? All those things have to be figured in.

Better luck next time!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:41 AM   #27
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I will do it all over again next week...
Old 05-17-2008, 01:38 AM   #28
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
John (Ontmont) and I went through this last fall. I took my weigh tickets (empty RV and hitched w/truck) to the MTO to see if I was licensed properly and I was. I was considering upgrading to the A lic. The MTO agent attached the weigh tickets to my G lic. renewal and said I was ok as I provided proof of my weights. By the way, when I am hooked up my front weight only changes by 10 lbs.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:10 PM   #29
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I went thru the notes and I think I have it organized...but something isnt right there....I deleted my reply posts so as not to confuse folks..I am still going to get it weighed again..I think its right now but I want to confirm it...info and suggestions are still appreciated... thanks
Old 06-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #30
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
OK... Finally got everything organized and all is semi well with the weight issue...there is a new MTO website with all the info you ever wanted to know about RVing in Ontario...Use all the sidebar tabs to find out everyting about the other important stuff....

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pubs/rv/part2a.shtml

It answers questions I had not been able to find out for sure....I am about 350Kg/800lbs overweight as the RV sits alone on the scales... at 4950Kg I am over my "G" lic by 350kg and therefore require an "A" drivers licence.....but according to the site unlike regular utility trailers that are weighed using the force exerted to the ground thru the tires.. the RV has to be weighed while attached to the TV...which then moves my pin weight of approx 800KG off the trailer axles and onto the TV axles...which lowers the RV weight and increases the RGW requirement of the truck....(and you know I have to buy that little bit of freedom with my truck licence) It appears that I may be legal after all.....