Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Equaflex?

I would like to add Equaflex to Sky. I know some of you have done that already. If you have where did you get it done at? What was the cost factor? We have a rear kitchen model so I am pretty sure it will help a bunch.

Patty

RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I have had the dealer put it on my 3475 and would never have a trailer or 5th wheel WITH OUT THEM. If I remember it was around 500 bucks. I highly recommend that you get them. Also a air hitch or pin box. The roads that we have across this country are not in the best of shape and I think it will be sometime before we get them fixed. The Equa-flex and air pin box or hitch will be great for your unit.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hazmic

I have had the dealer put it on my 3475 and would never have a trailer or 5th wheel WITH OUT THEM. If I remember it was around 500 bucks. I highly recommend that you get them. Also a air hitch or pin box. The roads that we have across this country are not in the best of shape and I think it will be sometime before we get them fixed. The Equa-flex and air pin box or hitch will be great for your unit.

Mikey, thanx for the speedy reply.

We have a MorRyde hitch pin, can't change it to an air hitch cause we have a PullRite Super Glide & the MorRyde hitch pin box is the only one that would work with the Super Glide.

You're sure right about the conditions of roads around this country, although in our experience Michigan where we live is at the top of the list for worst roads! I have had people tell me for years when they come into town, Wow you're Michigan roads are awful.

Amazingly in Montana where we're headed the roads are pretty flippin good.

Thankx again for the input, now I just have to twist Dick's arm to spring for them.

Patty
Old 06-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
RC and Samantha, I am having the Mor Ryde independent suspension installed in Elkhart this fall while at the rally. They weigh your rig and install equipment according to your weight. It actually removes your axles entirely. I am told this is the ultimate suspension. Spendy, but we want to keep our rig for the next ten years...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

RC and Samantha, I am having the Mor Ryde independent suspension installed in Elkhart this fall while at the rally. They weigh your rig and install equipment according to your weight. It actually removes your axles entirely. I am told this is the ultimate suspension. Spendy, but we want to keep our rig for the next ten years...
Yes, they remove the old axles and install new ones that provide each wheel with individual suspension. We had it done in 2003.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Patty,
Are you talking about the Dexter Equa-flex? Stiles Watson helped me install that plus the heavy duty shackles at the fall rally in Goshen last year and we think they were worth every penny.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Equaflex,

cost??? I don't remember, Al might - - worth every penny!!

had done at the little office Trailair has near the old service center.

(now I think I got this right, Trailair was bought by Lippert, they manufacture a lot of the Trailair parts, but the original owner Dale Fenton, took back or was given back a lot of the service part. He will sell you the Equaflex and put it on right there, did not take tooooooooooo long, and you get to spend some time visiting and listening to him tell stories, WOW, interesting.)

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
As happy as we are with our MorRyde & their stellar service, I don't think we will be able to make a trip down there again this year before we leave. Plus the pricier thing is a huge factor right now.

I really like what I have read about Equaflex.

Charlie, shucky darn now I know for sure I was not very smart in missing that demo last year at the Fall Rally. Did putting them on yourself save a bundle? Oops & yes I believe it is the Dexter Equaflex system. We have Dexter Axles since the upgrade so maybe a perfect match eh?

Thank you all for your replies. I really think this will add to the ride of the fifth wheel.

Patty
Old 06-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Ok, I was a little confused. Equaflex is by Trailair, EZ Flex is by Dexter, is cheaper and an easier install since it just replaces the stock spring equalizer. While we are happy with the EZ Flex from Dexter we have no idea how it compares to the equaflex.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

Ok, I was a little confused. Equaflex is by Trailair, EZ Flex is by Dexter, is cheaper and an easier install since it just replaces the stock spring equalizer. While we are happy with the EZ Flex from Dexter we have no idea how it compares to the equaflex.
Nope Charlie, I think I am confused. That's so typically me. I was actually referring to the Equaflex, so the fact that they are harder to install may change what I'm looking to get? Sorry Charlie for being confusing. That's what happens when the main poster on our ID is female & this stuff is pretty much a male's field of expertise.

Patty
Old 06-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Equaflex,

cost??? I don't remember, Al might - - worth every penny!!

had done at the little office Trailair has near the old service center.

(now I think I got this right, Trailair was bought by Lippert, they manufacture a lot of the Trailair parts, but the original owner Dale Fenton, took back or was given back a lot of the service part. He will sell you the Equaflex and put it on right there, did not take tooooooooooo long, and you get to spend some time visiting and listening to him tell stories, WOW, interesting.)

Oops Carol missed your reply. I doubt I can get Dick down there again. Sure would be nice as I love that area, but our summer prior to leaving is pretty full up. I have to help my other sister with a massive house addition along with a few other medical things before we pack up to go to Montana.

Sure would be nice though, as we could make the trip via Tipton & visit one of our favorite couples. Plus Kody could meet Auntie Carol, Uncle Al along with the cousins.

Patty
Old 06-02-2008, 07:13 AM   #12
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Mine are made by Trail-Air. They are mounted between the springs and replace the Rocker that is there. Dexter's is basically the same but different design. Either one is great. You can mount them you self if you are handy with the tools. I was lazy and had them do them at the dealer. They were about 300 for the Rockers and 200 labor. Good luck on either one when you get them.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #13
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
Patty,
Last month we took the trailer down to the Mor/Ryde people and had the pin box and RE (rubber qualizer) system installed. $1695, I can't find the receipt to break down individually. Just give them a call and they will give you an estimate over the phone. They are great people to work with. Hope this helps. Stacy
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Hi Patti,

We had EquaFlex installed at the TrailAir Shop that is very close to the Montana plant in Goshen. One difference between EquaFlex and Mor-Ryde RE, is that the EquaFlex is a drop in replacement for the existing equalizer, no cutting or welding required. If you do go that route, get them to install wet bolts on all your spring bushings (8 in all) this will eliminate the plastic bushing failure problem. At the time we had ours done, TrailAir was still being run by the owner/founder Dale Fenton, but he sold the company to Lippert, so I'm not sure what the situation is there now, Dale may still be around because he agreed to stay on to oversee the transition in ownership. Cost was quite reasonable and the installation only took about an hour.

The change to the interior ride was remarkable, we used to tie everything up and put everthing away securely, now we hardly put anything away, and don't use rubber matting between the dishes, we still tie down the recliners, but that is about all. (I should add that we also got the TrailAir hitch at the same time, so I can't really tell how much is due to the Equaflex and how much is due the TrailAir hitch).

We noticed at the last RV show we attended, that Mountaineers now come with EquaFlex, as do Cedar Creeks. Since TrailAir is now owned by Lippert, I wonder if we will be seeing TrailAir and EquaFlex on new Montanas in the near future.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
John those are words I like to hear. Remarkable. I don't know how I'll get Dick to go for it, but think it's a wise investment to be sure. Yep difference in hitch pin is like Carol & Al compared to ours. Hopefully the MorRyde will compensate for the difference much like the Trail Air hitch pin, or do you have the actual hitch? My this gets so confusing doesn't it. I noticed at the RV shows too that many manufacturers use them as OEM now. We may see them on Montanas when they run out of what they use right now. You know how it is, Keystone is so large they are able to buy in such quantity, then once the item is gone they start again.

Patty
Old 06-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #16
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dick and Patty, we had the Mor/Ryde RE suspension on our Cambridge. It worked great never tied down anything, we even left the Coffee Pot and Can opener on the Stove top cover. We did have the Trailer Saver air ride 5th wheel hitch and a Mor/Ryde pin box.

We now have the Equa Flex with a Trailair pin box. So for we don't tie anything down. We have removed the Couch air bed and the Ultr leather rocker recliners. We replaced the couch with a Lazy Boy recline away Love seat and a recline away recliner. We are very please so for with the way it is equiped. We will never buy another 5th wheel with RV funiture, we have replace the RV funiture twice we now want make that mistake again. Good Luck with your choice. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #17
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Patty -
How soon will you and Dick be in Montana? We are going to be going up to Glacier National in September. Just curious if you'll be there and we'll be near where your property is located. Best of luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:37 AM   #18
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Here's a link to my installation of the EquaFlex parts last year.

Please use the "short form" to post long length links. Otherwise some folks
must scroll to read the messages. If you don't know how to make a "short link" please visit the Geek Squad category. Thank you, RVWheels

http://montanaadministrator.forumco.com/
topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=23847&
SearchTerms=,Equaflex

It's easy to install if you have a couple of bottle jacks and a couple of floor jacks. Cost with the wet bolt kit was around $300 last year. The Dexter EZ Flex and the Trailair Equaflex reqire the same amount of disassembly and exchange of parts ... just slightly different designs. I chose the Equaflex over the EZ Flex based on design.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:07 AM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RC and Samantha

As happy as we are with our MorRyde & their stellar service, I don't think we will be able to make a trip down there again this year before we leave. Plus the pricier thing is a huge factor right now.

I really like what I have read about Equaflex.

Charlie, shucky darn now I know for sure I was not very smart in missing that demo last year at the Fall Rally. Did putting them on yourself save a bundle? Oops & yes I believe it is the Dexter Equaflex system. We have Dexter Axles since the upgrade so maybe a perfect match eh?

Thank you all for your replies. I really think this will add to the ride of the fifth wheel.

Patty
Patty, Not to change the subject but does that mean you won't be at the Fall Rally?? The Fall rally just wouldn't be the same without you and Dick.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote