Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
1/2 Re-Shackled...no simple task

Ok, I bought the kit last Fall after my "winterize it" trip 20 miles away from stick home where a shackle had ripped apart.
Started today at noon...spend couple hours blocking my rig so I don't become a pancake. Pulled all the old stuff off, scraped, brushed, inspected hanger bracket welds, repainted the scraped area's. Installed new brass bushings, equalizer, new wet shackles, and new end hanger wet bolts. Did a few pumps of grease on all the zerks till I could see grease oozing out...she's looking good as new now on right side!
I read that someone else did this task and only took couple hours...well, guess I've failed the test as I'm gonna leave it till tomorrow and finish up by pulling drums, inspect the brakes, clean and repack the bearings and will have to do left side another day!

noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
That's a big job, it always takes me twice as long as I think it should take. However it'll be nice to have your bearings packed, brakes adjusted & shakels repaired.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
First time I did one, it took me 8 hours alone. Charlie (8.1a) and I did his at Goshen and it took the two of us about 4-5 hours if I remember right. Two hours seems a bit of a stretch to me. You are doing fine. The other side will go quicker because you are now experienced.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Noneck,

I think your timeline is about right on. You certainly want to block up the trailer so you will be safe. And getting those old shackles off and the new ones on can take a bit of time. Lots of lining up and a bit of pounding can end up taking a lot of time. The wheel maintenance alone can take several hours.

Sounds like you are taking your time and doing it correctly.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:27 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I observed Stiles and Charlie doing that at the Fall Rally and they did a fine job. I was completely worn out watching them. I also purchased the kit at the rally but had my local dealer do it. They are a Keystone dealer(not Montana) One man did it said he had done this many, many times. I was charged 2.6 hours labor. I never broke a sweat.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:24 AM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I admire you for tackling the job! Had mine done in Atlanta in March on the way home. You will feel much happier and confident in the ride after you get that all done!! Good luck and congrats. BTW, the money you're saving by doing it yourself will more than pay for your fuel to Kutztown and back!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:33 PM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Thanks folks, Almost got me motivated enough to keep on plan. Darn it, DW informed me this morning after Church her Trailblazer is making noise when braking. Yep, sure nuff it wanted my attention all day...deed is done 4 new rotors, pads, a bit o knuckle here and there. I'm beat having a cold one thinking about when to continue my Monty project. Been walking by her all jacked up on my custom cut 6x6's with the shiny new gloss black under carriage.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote