Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #21
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
That's my fear dan. The more up and down and carrying things will weaken the supports and someday let go. In my case it will be the day after the last warranty day.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:22 AM   #22
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Waynem,
Don't go up there, fear for your life! OSHA suggests anything above 7 1/2 feet and you think you might fall you should tie off. Let me know when you are ready to go up there again and I will bring you my harness from my construction days. But you will have to promise if you do fall make sure you don't get the safety rope tangled up.
JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:45 PM   #23
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
A little story about heights.
Working at NASA I was on my way back to my office and noticed workers on the Mission Operations Directorate roof. This is 50 feet up in the air. I was agast. Sitting on the edge, using a big, big hammer was a worker trying to knock of the metal edging before re-roofing. NO-SAFETY LINE. Their excuse was that they had a "watcher," to make sure people knew when they were near the edge. Anyhow, I created a work stoppage and they put up safety lines before continuing.

I wonder if I saved anyone's life that day - or following days. Never know!

I've done some stupid things in my life, but I do try to stay on the side of safety. I've read all the replies on the ladder withstanding weights heavier than I am. I'm not really afraid to get up on the roof as I already did it using an extension ladder to replace the bathroom vent. In my younger days, I could jump from the roof of a 15Ft without hurting myself when I landed. Painting a 3 story house when I was 15 or 16, the ladder slipped and I rode it to the ground doing the tumble roll when I hit.

If I was to try to do that today - Well - I'm just not going to attempt it from 3 feet.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote