Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2007, 08:50 AM   #21
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I guess if it looks, smells, and tastes like a brandslam, it's probably a brandslam

I've got my own reasons for driving the 6.0 Ford, and most of them are the results of owning Chevy's.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:52 AM   #22
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Hi Steve (great name by the way) I surf sites like the Diesel Place, powerstroke.com, read tea leaves, bumps on the head etc.

The biggest news about the problems with the PSD comes from the Associated Press and the Detroit News, 12 January 2007. Ford and Navistar - the manfacturer of the PowerStroke Diesel engine - are in court over excessive warranty costs due to the PowerStroke's poor performance and reliability ($50 million is repair costs since Ford electronics in 2005 increased torque from 560 to 570 ft/lbs). Ford believes that Navistar should help pay for all the warranty repairs on the F-series Diesels, obviously Navistar blames Ford's PCM design for the oil leaks, sticking turbo vanes and leaky fuel injectors. There are 77 service bulletins issued against the engine alone for model years 2005 to 2007. Quality issues in the former PowerStroke has caused Ford to deduct what they feel is Navistar's share of repair responsibility from invoices for their engine delivery. Navistar has threatened to stop delivery if Ford does not stop these deductions.

The stock Navistar engine uses fuel injectors from Seimens, a Ford PSD uses Bosch injectors and the PCM is a Ford design hence the problems with a Ford PSD versus a stock Navistar Diesel. If the 6.0 PSD were not a problem Ford certainly would have kept installing them in their F-series trucks as the cost to introduce new engines (technical data, spare parts, advertising, production line tooling, sustainment, etc.) is prohibitive.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:07 AM   #23
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

I guess if it looks, smells, and tastes like a brandslam, it's probably a brandslam

I've got my own reasons for driving the 6.0 Ford, and most of them are the results of owning Chevy's.
Yep, folks are sensitive to hits on their brand loyalty. I'm a Jeep driver at heart and picked my Silverado because it had the best price at the time. Had Ford made a better offer I'd be in a PSD King Ranch F-250.

Still, the problems between Ford and their engine supplier are not a secret - objective comments are not slamming brands, especially since this all started with a wish that Ford do well with their new F-series Diesels.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #24
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
objective? - maybe;
subjective? - yes;
contribute anything to wishing a guy well with purchase of his totally redesigned 6.4 and TV? - no.

Seems to be a happy slam for all the gassers and other brand owners out there and it gets thrown in without discretion. Bill has his own concerns for pioneering the new 6.4 without the rest of us getting reminded that our 6.0's have a history.

JMHO
Old 02-22-2007, 10:13 AM   #25
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bill & Linda, I would like to add my congratulations to you for the new TV. I have owned all of the big three at one time or another in my lifetime and I can honestly say; "I have never had a bad truck". I'm sure you will get many years of enjoyment from your new Ford. Give Shadow a pat on the head from me!!!!

Phil P.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:29 AM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Steve, thanks for the update. I had read something about that awhile back but couldn't remember all the details. I don't quite agree on the reason for going away from the 6.0 since the 6.4 was already in development when the 6.0 was introduced. That had to do with the emissions standards. However, I'm sure they're glad to move to a different engine since there have been more problems with the 6.0 than they'd like. I've been fortunate to not have had any of those problems you listed in 77k miles on this truck. But, as I've said here before, the truck will be traded before the 100k mile warranty expires this Fall. I'm just not comfortable that the engine will remain trouble free after the warranty. I'm becoming more comfortable about the 6.4, the more I read, but won't be ready to pull the trigger on that until I hear from more actual owners' experiences and also have a chance to check out the other brands. Again, thanks for the info.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:44 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am not a brand loyal person..on anything..I get what I can afford, Get the best deal on and most importantly, what best serves my needs.As for the Ford 6.0 there is no denying that Ford has had more problems with that motor than they would have liked..no matter what the reason.I really think that Ford has learned from the overall 6.0 experience and the probabilities that the 6.4 will be a good motor are high.In any case I really don't care,, If I don't like the 6.4 I won't buy one.. If I feel the need for a diesel I will buy one of the others.Brand loyality is of course a good thing..all of the brands..would like to have a large brand loyal following..it is very good for business..But..I..it is just me...do not understand it at all...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #28
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Bill congratulations on the new truck. We wish you and Linda many happy and trouble free miles in your journeys. I as others, have owned all three of the "big three", They are all good trucks, and all will have their share of problems, and most will happen within the warranty period. Good luck and God speed.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #29
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pparamore

Bill & Linda, I would like to add my congratulations to you for the new TV. I have owned all of the big three at one time or another in my lifetime and I can honestly say; "I have never had a bad truck". I'm sure you will get many years of enjoyment from your new Ford. Give Shadow a pat on the head from me!!!!

Phil P.
Same here...had 'em all.

Liked parts of some better than parts of others. If I could combine various parts of all three to make one truck it would be one fine machine! For Ford's sake, I hope this one is a success.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:56 PM   #30
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
Have fun with the '08! I love my '99 7.3 Powerstroke. The best of the best. There are guys out there with 350,000++ miles on the 7.3. Check out dieselstop.com. Everything you ever need to know about Ford Superduties '08 included. They have a Towing and Hauling forum as well.
You can thank the tree huggers for the redesign. Exhaust filters com'on! I also read on The Diesel Page (Duramax web site) that the exhaust filter will increase the list price on the diesel option on the Duramax by $2500!
BTW I heard Ford owns Cummins. Why would......?
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:03 PM   #31
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kmh3212

Exhaust filters com'on! I also read on The Diesel Page (Duramax web site) that the exhaust filter will increase the list price on the diesel option on the Duramax by $2500!
BTW I heard Ford owns Cummins. Why would......?
Correct, which is why I opted for that 2007 LBZ Duramax. Sorry but Ford sold their interests in Cummins a decade ago.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:02 PM   #32
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
UPDATE: First of all I really liked my 6.0 and in 4 years I had it the only problem I had was one injector replaced. I quess I was lucky but I dont know anyone personally who has a 6.0 and had any serious problem with it.

Now as for the new 08, there is a night and day difference between the 03 and the 08. The ride is greatly improved, that was the first comment Linda made, and with the windows rolled up you can not tell it is a diesel, it is very quiet. I only have about 200 miles on it so far, 100 of them today to get the bed liner sprayed in. On one ocasion today I hit it real hard pulling away from a stop sign in the country, and the main thing I noticed was it broke both rear tires loose, limited slip rear end, and there is no turbo lag what so ever, the spool up was imediate. The transmission is different from my 03 also, its shifts much smoother and slower, not that hard clunk like the 03. Another thing, there is no diesel smell from the exhaust, and I did not notice any black smoke. I checked the computer mileage today and it said about 19.5 on the highway, that was right after I reset it a was going about 58mph, have no idea how accurate the computer is.
So far I am really pleased with it, I cant wait to see how it tows. Linda really likes the ride and the new interior.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:52 PM   #33
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bill,

Thanks for the report - it sounds like a nice truck! I was wondering about the quiet and the ride. Can't wait to try one out . Gives me something to look forward to someday.

Go easy on the back tires for a while - least till she gets broke in
Old 02-22-2007, 11:53 PM   #34
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Thanks for the report it sounds like a nice truck. You're making me jealous as I will have several more years to go before I trade my 06. Let us know how it handles the Montana.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:45 AM   #35
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
Correct, which is why I opted for that 2007 LBZ Duramax. Sorry but Ford sold their interests in Cummins a decade ago.

[/quote]

Smart move on the 2007 LBZ Duramax. I need to correct Cummins source. You can't believe everything you read on the internet and the paper.

On topic I really want to see what happens to the new diesel trucks and the older models with the new ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel). The Ford 2008 Super Duty is a nice looking truck. Ford did a lot of real world testing on the new trucks and drive train with good results. A complete engine redesign is always a bit scary but without innovation and new technology we would still be hand cranking our trucks. Bill you have a really nice new truck. Keep us informed!
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:17 AM   #36
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
Where are the pictures William H. Collier?
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We got a real good look at the 08 Super duty Ford at Superstition Ford here in Apache Junction. It was a 3/4 ton, CC, LB 6.4L, 4X4. There is always something that you do not care for but over all it is a very good looking truck.. To me the changes are not all that much over the 07's. It is still a "Built tough" Ford.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #38
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We drove by a Ford dealer while exploring the area yesterday and I saw a couple of '08's on the lot. We stopped and looked but did not drive. The salesman was non-pressuring and interested in showing the trucks. Both were F250's, one a King Ranch, the other a Lariat. Beautiful trucks. Now that is what a truck should look like! The 6.4 was very quiet idling from a cold start. But I didn't drive it. I'm not ready to trade and I need to find out how the 6.4 is going to do before I make a decision.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:03 PM   #39
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
One of our dealers in Wasilla (40 miles north of Anchorage), has listed in the paper a 2008 F250 Supercab, 4X4 Diesel for $32,995 on sale with an MSRP of $37.445. It looks like the supercab is an extended cab and NOT a crew or Quad cab. Don't know what trim package it has.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:19 AM   #40
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Phil, I'd almost bet that's a stripped down work truck.

SuperCab is what Ford calls the extended cab, as you surmise.