Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2022, 06:55 AM   #21
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
training your spotter is crucial! Make sure you are using the same words to mean the same thing. "where are my tires" could mean the truck or trailer. "Check the cab clearance" might mean something different to the driver than to the spotter. If you're unclear, or your spotter is unclear, always ask before moving forward.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:20 AM   #22
Zbones
Established Member

M.O.C. #29987
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesub93 View Post
Having fears about pulling out of my place for the first time with my 5th wheel. Anyone else had this?

Nothing wrong with a little fear as long as the fear does not keep you from doing what needs to be done. Once you loose that little fear you make mistakes.
Zbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 07:33 AM   #23
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Some great tips here. I don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but when backing in tight spaces, if you have cell service, have your spotter on the cell phone. Most trucks now sync your phone over the radio so it’s hands free no ear buds and no raised voices.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:43 AM   #24
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Not sure how to describe it - but I think about it every time I hook up. Nervous? maybe. I can not put "pulling this monster" on auto-pilot. I have made plenty of stupid moves and turns that I wish I had approached differently. Fortunately no damage to anything or anyone. I find that I really have to focus on turns and passing and entering a freeway ramp and backing up...hooking up...un-hooking - everything! So - yes - I know what you mean.

But it gets better with more experience. You should pull it out on a test run and practice backing up in an empty parking lot. Learning how to make the turns so that the RV does not run over a curb takes practice.
NAILED IT.........when you aren't nervous you get overconfident and thats when stuff happens, expensive stuff. I just make sure I'm never in a hurry to get going. Always leave lots of time and then I do a walk around before we go.....2 or 3 times.
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:10 AM   #25
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We have towed our four Montana’s hundreds of thousands of miles, from Alaska to Florida, Texas to Maine. Our house is where I need to take the most care. Up an 8% grade with an S, back along the house with 5 feet to spare on an embankment. No matter how many times I’ve done it, it’s always the worst part of the trip. Taking your time, a healthy respect for what you’re doing and following the tips above will help. Everyone had a first time. Best of luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote