Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2020, 09:55 AM   #21
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
TST 507 for me too. Managed to get by with no repeater but once in a while a rear sensor stops sending (out of range I guess). Happens maybe once every 10 days for a few hours. Probably needs new batteries - which, by the way, is a little tricky. Very tiny o-rings and easy to lose.
Saved me once when a large nail/bolt went in tire. Pressure went from 80 to 40 in 30 seconds (as I passed an interstate exit!). Pulled off the road (by about 12 inches) and it was at 20 psi. Set up my roadside reflectors and when got back to trailer, the rim was resting on the ground!

TST 507 now comes with the repeater, no need to order separate any longer. Caught the TST 507 on sale with 4 sensors last year from Camping World for less then $200.

No experience with other brands, but the TST does seem to be the most popular.

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 11:06 AM   #22
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
My experience with the TST has been marginal,I have not found the sensors to be accurate (off by as much as 10%) I have verified each with 4 other PSI gauges and several sensors were off (4 out of 6). With that said I think the TST is a bit pricey for the lack of reliability at least in my experience.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #23
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
My experience with the TST has been marginal,I have not found the sensors to be accurate (off by as much as 10%) I have verified each with 4 other PSI gauges and several sensors were off (4 out of 6). With that said I think the TST is a bit pricey for the lack of reliability at least in my experience.

Well thats a first I have read ,but there always has to be that one. , no doubt some have had issues.

My experience has been far from that ,although the system is only a year old. 10% thats quite a bit, with the tires I run using the TST 507 10% would be 11 psi on my G rated tires running 110 psi, that unrealistic . I am seeing 2 psi difference on my gauge compared to the sensors. I am seeing 0 difference between my gauge ,and my trucks TPMS . Thats telling me that between all my tire monitoring ,and my tire gauge, I could be .018 off on accuracy. I can live with that.

You should check with TST on your system ,something is wrong, no one else seems to be having a 10% accuracy problem .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:05 AM   #24
indiana lineman

M.O.C. #24088
My next question, unfortunately, would be how easy are they for someone to walk off with? No question they can be important for prevention. Maybe that's why they're a little pricey. Price being a factor sticky fingers could find them by the bucket full. Not that a person can prevent that from happening in every instance anyway.
indiana lineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:14 AM   #25
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
The ones I have, have an anti theft system, which is basically an outside housing around the sensor. The outside housing will spin by hand without unscrewing the sensor from the tire's valve. It came with a special wrench to allow unscrewing them from the tire. It's not perfect, but is easy enough to use and will keep an honest man honest.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:41 AM   #26
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana lineman View Post
.........how easy are they for someone to walk off with?
Easy.....unless you install the "theft deterrent device" on each valve stem sensor. In my case, I do not use them.

The following Youtube video shows how to install them and link to their manual:

https://www.tiretraker.com/500_manual.pdf
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:37 AM   #27
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
You cannot use screw on TPMS sensors on rubber valve stems. Need to have metal ones, otherwise centrifical force bends the valve stem eventually resulting in catastrophic valve stem failure. Of coueae, those with G rated tires already should have metal stems rated for at least 110 psi.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:08 AM   #28
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana lineman View Post
My next question, unfortunately, would be how easy are they for someone to walk off with? No question they can be important for prevention. Maybe that's why they're a little pricey. Price being a factor sticky fingers could find them by the bucket full. Not that a person can prevent that from happening in every instance anyway.
The flow through sensors have NO anti-theft mechanisms, the thief can simply un screw like any cap. With the lack of accuracy I have experienced I am glad I have the flow through sensors other wise it is a pain in the ass to remove the non flow-through sensors to check or fill the tires.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:45 AM   #29
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Please refer to the Youtube video on installing a anti theft device on a "flow through" TPMS tire stem sensor and comparing flow through to cap sensors. So if you want ro be able to fill the tires with the sensor on you need a flow through vs. cap sensor.

Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 11:51 AM   #30
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Please refer to the Youtube video on installing a anti theft device on a "flow through" TPMS tire stem sensor and comparing flow through to cap sensors. So if you want ro be able to fill the tires with the sensor on you need a flow through vs. cap sensor.

There is NOTHING anti-theft about a jam nut I can still remove by hand any flow-through. That video is a false narative. Does the thief have to use more force, the answer is yes but it is not difficult to do. Whereas the non flow-through has a free spinning cap along with the jam-nut that does prevent removal (or at east make it harder without tools).