Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Satellite Connections on 2015 Montana

How do you hook up a satellite dish and receiver to a 2015 Monty. There are two satellite connectors in the compartment, one for dining room one for bedroom, I suppose you could have two satellite cables, but I have one from the Dish Tailgater, do I need to split the cable to both connections? Above the TV is the compartment for the DVD player where I will put the Dish receiver. I will connect the receiver to the TV with an HDMI cable, how do you connect the receiver to the proper connector on the wall.

On my 2005 Montana once I had the receiver in place, I had the same picture on the dining room TV and the bedroom. Is this what I can expect with the 2015?

Any help will be appreciated.

RKassl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #2
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
A splitter will not work. You'll either need a second tailgator or buy the upgraded version with two RCA outs (both options require a second receiver). The benefit to two tailgators (similar to what I have) is you can watch two different shows on two different satellites at the same time. Where the dual out requires the secondary TV to watch only the channels available on the satellite the primary is tuned to.

Another option is to run the RCA out (if your receiver has one, the new ones do not) to the cable jack on the wall and feed the second tv from the cable jack therefor watching the same show on each TV.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #3
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
The second choice is what we did on our 2014. Same situation, with two satellite input connections. One for the living area, one for the bedroom. I used the living area feed to the receiver, then used the RCA out (older receiver) to feed the bedroom TV. Yes, you will both have to watch the same show, but life is tough, sometimes. The older receivers (RCA output) are still available on Ebay or Amazon, at least they were.

On a side note, I did have a failure on the cable to the living area, it was a bad connection. Fixed it and all was good. Also took the time to straighten out and identify the "mess" where the antennae, power unit, and all the other stuff came together in the ceiling of the bedroom.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:28 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We have separate receivers for each TV running off a single dish. One is a DVR, one a regular receiver.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:39 AM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
It appears the tailgater only has one coaxial output which limits your ability to connect to more than one TV. You could split the signal coming from the dish and feed those cables to different receivers, this would allow you to watch different channels on the two TV's at the same time. Of course you would need two receivers in order for this to work. Not being familiar with either Dish network and it's satellite/satellites I do not know if there are more than one, you are limited to what/how many satellites the tailgater can receive at one time, this may perhaps limit your programming choices.

My Wineguard traveler has 4 outputs, I use 3 of them, 2 go to the main TV area so that I can record and watch 2 different channels on a PVR and the other goes to the bedroom and basement TV connections. My dish also receives 3 satellites at the same time so regardless of which satellite the program I wish to watch is on, I will get it. This works for me due to the proximity of those 3 satellites to one another.

There was a schematic diagram of the cable connections available for the Montana's, whether it would relate to your 2015 may be questionable.

My PVR has 2 receivers built in, allowing recording on one and watching another, same signal coming in but separated by the 2 receivers in the PVR. Pretty sure you are going to have 2 receivers if you want to watch different channels on your TV's.

Good luck with sorting out the wiring but look for the schematic, someone on the forum has it.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:02 AM   #6
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
The schematics are posted. I'll see if I can find the link. I have the PDF/jpg file of what Keystone sent me. That diagram is sort of for all Monty's from 2009 to present, but it is wrong on a couple of cases. However, the outside convenience center connections are point to point; one to the living room TV area and one to the Bedroom. I have a basement connection for an outside TV, but Keystone assumes we'd want to put a short jumper on the bedroom sat connection to route the signal to the basement. I just put a 3rd Convenience Center connection directly to the basement TV connections.

Since these connections are point to point, it's up to your satellite antenna and receiver to dictate how they are connected. The multi-LNB oval antennas you put on a tripod can have multiple coaxial connections to go to each individual receiver, but can also use SWiM technology where multiple signals to multiple receivers use only one cable. Most of the automatic dome type (Tailgater, Carryout) have 1 or 2 connections and support only 1 or 2 receivers accordingly.

I've had both Dish and DirecTV. I'm currently back on DirecTV, same as the house. My house is wires for 3 receivers using SWiM and I've setup the Monty to do the same. I just move the receivers when I travel. I use a tripod because only the oval antennas will receive multiple satellites at the same time so you can record a show on one satellite while watching off of another satellite. The current Trailer Life has an article about a good tripod solution that's easier to setup.

I use an OTA adapter for the DirecTV DVR, so I can record local CBS/NBC/ABC shows along side the satellite shows.

PM me if you want more details than I can type.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:51 AM   #7
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
This link to a photo of the schematic may work for you or you can email/pm me for the PDF I got from Keystone.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #8
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
In the 2015 Montana I remember seeing two coax connections in the compartment where the wires are for the TV and DVD player. I wonder if I hook my Dish Tailgater to the dining room connecter outside in the utility compartment, then like on my 2005, I bring the satellite signal into the Dish receiver and then TV out, I should have the same signal to both TV's, which is OK for right now. It sure looks like it is the same type of satellite hookup at my 2005.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:10 AM   #9
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
In my 2014, the 2 coax F connectors in the Living room TV area are: 1) from the OTA roof TV antenna system/amplifier, 2) from the Living room satellite connection in the Convenience Center. My Sat coax connector in the living room was miss labeled to say "Cable", but as you can see from the diagram above, the OTA antenna and cable connection for the coach share the same wire and you switch between the 2 but using the cable/Antenna switch on the amplifier plate.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #10
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Help me think about this one. Since there is a dedicated "Cable" Coaxial Connection in the convenience center that would receive a parks cable signal that would feed both bedroom and dining room TV, but using the TV's to change channels. Could I somehow splice into to that wire hooking the satellite cable up to get the same signal to both TV's

What a mind game!
Old 04-03-2015, 01:56 AM   #11
getontheroad
Established Member

M.O.C. #15997
If you figure this out please post. I have tried many ways. I took a break because I was getting frustrated. I will try again over the weekend.
getontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #12
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We have a new 2014 Big Sky and I was out today trying to connect the Tailgater with a PIV211k receiver connected to the satellite connection in the convenience center. I could not get a good signal so I connected a coax out the window directly from the receiver to the Tailgater and got grate TV. So I am now using the Tailgater via a connection out the window and back feed the fiver's coax system to the bedroom TV from the cable jack there and am now able to watch the same show on each TV. However, the TV in the bedroom has a lot of static?? I took all the fiver's coax connections out and made sure that they were tight...still no luck changing the static in the bedroom. And I still can't get the satellite signal to go to the outside TV? Any suggestions?
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:59 AM   #13
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
2015 Montana.. Outside there is one cable input for cable TV that is for both tv's. When running cable TV the power to the amp for the off air antenna must be off. Now, for satelite. If the tailgater has one coax output, only one Chanel can be watches at a time. The sat dish must be connected to the sat connections outside because the booster will not allow the sat signal to go thru it.. To have both areas get the signal,you can move the outside connector. A splitter may work, depending on which service you have. Directv may not, dish should.we just bought the winegard pathway X1. It is fully automatic. It has two out puts. We bought 2 recievers. Got he dish, and recievers for less than 575.00! It is only dish but gets hdtv. It is a single lnb which means if the main receiver changes channels, the other TV may lose the signal . You must both be on the same satelite. Either 110, 119, or 129....we got the smart pak for 26.00 per month.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:51 PM   #14
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I always run two cables in the Convenience center one gets hooked to "Coach cable" and then that goes to the Camp cable at the pedestal and then one cable goes to the "Living room SAT" connection and that goes to my Dish Tailgater So that way if I get Rain Fade with the Tailgater in the Living room I just change the input on my Remote to watch Camp cable OR I can watch camp Cable in the Bedroom TV since I cannot get Dish in the Bedroom