Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Cleaning Tip For Seams

Somewhere along the way, my front end got covered with tar. It was all over the underside of the pin area and front storage. I spent an hour going through every fluid in my rig and nothing worked. I was down to beer as the last candidate.

I have an aversion to any form of alcohol abuse, and using beer to clean with seemed beyond the pale of reasonable alcohol usage. I was about to give it up and open one for brunch at 9 (I'm in Oregon so it's OK) when I stumbled upon "Goof Off".

This is a "Goo Gone" knock off intended mostly for adhesive residues, etc. Anyway, I tried it on the grease and it was sweet. In the process I discovered it also takes off that black road grime you get in all your seams on the caulk.

I've never been able to get that stuff off, at least not easily. This stuff takes it off instantly with just a paper towel.

I got "Goof Off" at Home Depot. Buy some. You'll be a happy camper. I got dirt off that had been on the rig since I bought it. The bad news is that cleaning seams on my front end uncovered loads of seams where the caulk looked good but was badly separated from the skin. Pushing on it to clean it exposed lots of problems.

If the dirt is the only thing keeping the water out of your rig you might just want to skip the cleaning.

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I use "Goof Off" all the time. I used to use it to clean boot marks off my motorcycle pipes (after they cooled). I've also used a Magic Eraser to get scuff marks off the Monty.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Paul,

I spray goo gone on the caulking then wash the unit and as you say clean.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
I know goof off is good but have you tried Awesome you can buy it dollar tree or any $ discount place for $1 for 28 oz spay bottle it also removes the yellow on the rubber bumper below caulk line.Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Paul-- I had the same problem with tar and bugs on the front of the Monte and I bought some RainX Bug abd Tar remover and I cleaned the whole front of the unit with it and it looks brand new now! Great stuff, give it a try!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Be careful with some of that stuff, it'll take the wax off along with whatever else you WANT it to remove.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote