Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Mouse invasion

I know this has been discussed before, but we checked on our stored 2007 3400RL today and found evidence that Mickey's relatives have at least visited, if not moved in. We are under cover, but do not have electricity. We thoroughly cleaned the rig and left no foodstuffs in it when we parked it. My concern about distributing bait (poison) is that the little devils might scatter some in the carpet that we cannot see, and then we use the rig again (the cat has to go with us) she might find it. I am a veterinarian, and all of the new mice baits are extremely lethal in small doses to a cat. Advice, please!

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
First of all, thanks for that tidbit on the poison, and your qualifying credentials. I for one really appreciate hearing your views. THANKS

With no power, and not wanting to use poisons, one alternative may be the Bounce dryer sheets.

I have never used the electronic beeper things that many MOCers have said are TERRIFIC, is there a version of that that runs on batteries?? If so, maybe consider one or two of those, as many speak very highly of them.

One thing for the Bounce, the trailer smells good.

I personally have not had any luck with moth balls keeping critters out, they said moth balls work on like wasps and stuff. Did not work for me, and then you have that smell, which I found a tad on the offensive side.

Sticky traps? Do those have the same poisons as the other kids of poison??? We have managed to catch one or two that way. Also old fashioned mouse traps baited with peanut butter have nailed a few.

Good luck!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Moth balls are poisonous to pets also, and fumes can be toxic to humans.

Now Johnny, what you need to do is buy an alley cat and put it in the Montana. Since there seems to be an abundance of mickey's relatives, the cat will not have a desire for processed cat food, but will dine on the natural creatures stopping by. All you have to do is go clean out the kitty litter box. (Make sure it is kitty litter trained first, or you will wish you had the mice back!)

A very good friend of mine is a Vet in Texas City, and I love messing with him also. All in fun of course.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #4
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Johnny,

Every exterminator we have spoken to has told us that peanut butter is the appropriate "bait" for mice in mouse traps. It has worked like a charm for us. (Even Italian mice like peanut butter! Last mouse invasion occured there and withing 5 minutes of laying the traps with peanut butter we heard a large "snap" and that was all she wrote.) Good thing is that the bait isn't poisonous (sp?). Only concern would be getting to the traps on a regular basis so as not to have the odor problem from leaving any captives too long. (Oh, and maybe getting them collected before your cat got to exploring his/her territory.)

Good luck!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
You can also use dry jello mix and plaster paris. They eat the jello and then find a water source and I don't want to think about it after that.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have used Bounce sheets for years and the only time that we have had mice is when we have forgotten to put the Bounce in before storage. When the sheets start to lose their fragrance, they are great taking off bugs from the nose of the Monty. Just wet the cap and rub the Bounce sheets on the bugs. Rinse and they are gone.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:37 AM   #7
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Do a search on camphor blocks, we found them at our local pharmacy and they do work!!! Will solve your problem and cover much more than just the mice.

Do the research on this product and be aware of the dangers, like that of moth balls. We only use the blocks while in storage and be sure to air out the rv very well before we use it.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:52 AM   #8
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I've never had mice but if I didn't have electricty for the electric repeal system then I would winterize them. A small pan of anti freeze with do them in as it smells sweet.
It's worked for me when I had some skunks that would come by each night.
No more skunks.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:20 AM   #9
Silverbird
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5622
We have a 2955 RL and had mouse problems last summer. We went througout the 5th wheel and plugged every hole everywhere with steel wool. We also put wire screening behind the cold air return under the steps. We also made sure our buildings around the area were well baited. We have had no trouble since that and hopefully it stays that way! When were are not using it, I have sticky traps and bounce sheets througout. In fact, I leave a sticky trap under the sink area at all times.
Silverbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:29 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We haven't had a problem with mice in our rig, but then we are always on the move. When we had our stick house, the peanut butter trick was the best for us. Only problem: I could never keep enough peanut butter on hand because I love it on bread, biscuits, crackers (all kinds) and celery.
When we lived in farming country, before we full timed, we were usually invaded by field mice. They would come in especially in the Fall and that's when I learned the peanut butter trick. Works with those kinds of rodents also.

We never had much luck with Bounce or moth balls.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Since you already have a cat, treat the cat to a weekend camping in the rig before your camping trip. I would guess that the meeces would quickly disappear (provided the cat is not de-clawed). All in fun, but the only effective way we have found when they get in is the old-fashioned way previously discussed. Traps, but we use portions of reese cup as bait.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
It seems every spring we have Mice have used the dryer sheets and moth balls did not work.
This year we used the Electronic plug in's and NO MICE.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #13
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
We use Bounce dryer sheets and have had no problems. This past fall we forgot the front storage area and sure enough evidence of the small criters. Got to remember that area next fall.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:26 AM   #14
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
OK, I will pass on this tip, although I have to admit I have not confirmed it really works. We have a friend who camphost up in Montana and have expAerienced a lot of mice problems. They finally settled on the best way to kill the mice and not endanger other animals is to place a jar top or other small dish with coke or pepsi in it. The mice drink it and the carbonation is what kill them. Apparently they can't pass the gas. I won't start with the jokes but this sounds logical, I hope it helps. John
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:20 AM   #15
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
We've been infested as well, even with the Monty. We have a dog and use bait in out of the way cubbys and nooks in the underbelly, in the spaces under the fridge and around the hot water heater, etc--places where the critters couldn't possibly track crumbs into the living spaces itself. About every three months we check the bait for evidence of incursion--there have been some, but we never see any other proof of their existence.

We store the monty in an open yard next to a naval pier. If this system works here, it will work anywhere!
Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote