Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Rushed dog to vet

We had to rush our dog to our vet in Anchorage this afternoon. Been gone about 7 hours and are exhausted. Just got in. About a week ago, she got into the bathroom trash and ate all of it. She felt puny the first few days (of course). Then seemed to perk up. Last night things changed. Not interested in food, lethargic, clumsy when walking. I watched her till early afternoon today and no change for the better. So I call our vet and she said get her up here. Off we go.

They have kept Little Bit overnight. They are thinking it's an obstruction (imagine) and are planning a barium study tomorrow. We have an old dog with a good bit of medical problems and I'm not sure she could handle surgery. So, as silly as you may think it is, please say a prayer for her and us.

We will be hearing from our vet throughout the day tomorrow. Don't know yet when we can go get her and bring her back home. But right now, we are off to bed. We are exhausted.

Thanks,
Tammy

Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:30 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Puppy hugs and prayers, we all know how concerned you are, and how upsetting a situation like this is.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Tammy and Bernie,

BIG prayers coming your way...nothing silly about the request...two legged or four legged, our kids are our kids!

Robin and Doug
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:56 AM   #4
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Prayer said.
Our hounds are our family.

Keep us posted and hope the news is good.

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:02 AM   #5
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Here is hoping that your family member has a speedy recovery.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:44 AM   #6
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Update: Talked to the vet a few minutes ago. Little Bit pooped everywhere for them and is much more perky than yesterday. The vet examined her again and said I am really not thinking a blockage. Either a viral thing (option yesterday) or a toxicitiy in her liver to her meds. Little Bit has epilepsy treated with Phenobarbital for 10 years. That lead to a diagnosis of hepatitis about 3 years ago. We believe it was the hepatitis that trigged the IMHA (Immune Mediated Hemalytic Anemia) - an autoimmune disease where the white blood cells attack and kill the red blood cells. About 50% of dogs who get IMHA die within hours. The remaining 50% who go through treatment to stabilize them - about half of those die. So LB is 8 months out. Her blood levels were actually better yesterday than 10 days ago.
Doc said they are thinking it's the liver (again an option yesterday). Either toxicity to the meds (she' on a lot and tests are being run today with results due on Monday) and/or her liver is not metabolizing food properly and she is getting malnourished. She's lost a pound in 10 days.
So, food change is coming (she'll like that) and we can go get her this afternoon. Back on the road to Anchorage at 2:00 for another round trip.
I'm just glad my little girl didn't have to have emergency surgery.
Thank you for the prayers. Will keep you posted.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
Tammy,
So glad to hear that Little Bit is feeling better. I am praying that her improvement continues.
Be safe on the road.
Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
YAAA, good news!! Sigh of relief!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #9
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Tammy, Bernie, thanks for the update. Keep us posted.

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
My sympathies and prayers go out to you. As a bona fide, life-long dog lover, I can only say that these animals actually become part of the family. Did you know they think they are people like we are? We don't have a dog but every dog I meet each day thinks that they've known me for years. People don't understand it, but I believe I speak dog language!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #11
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Thank y'all so much for the support. We have Little Bit home and had a safe trip. She is still puny but the vet says she is stable. They are really thinking she has a toxicity to the level of meds in her. We are making some adjustments to her meds and will keep an eye on her over the next few days and coming weeks. We know we are coming to the end of the road with her. Just aren't sure how much longer our journey is going to be.
But for tonight, we are all home together. She is eating (even had some McDonald's fries on the way home), pottying and watching every move her daddy is making. She's laying on the couch perched like a queen! Our job is to keep her happy. Just like she's kept us happy for so many years!
Thanks again for the love and support.
Tammy & Bernie
Old 04-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #12
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Great news, Tammy and Bernie, about Little Bit. I realize she has a pretty extensive medical history and isn't a spring chicken, but still--having her home and perky again goes to show you that miracles can and do happen.

Carolyn & Wayne
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:20 AM   #13
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I just caught up with your story about Little Bit. I was so glad to hear that it was not a blockage and that you have a course of action. Nothing is worse than having to stand by while someone you love suffers without being able to do anything for them. Here are our wishes for a quick recovery from whatever is ailing her.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote