Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
kimmy99016
Established Member

M.O.C. #8228
portable fencing for dogs

I am wondering if anyone uses portable fences for their dogs? If so, what type do you use?
We have three dogs, 2 boston's and one great pit.

Thanks

kimmy99016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Until we get our house built and a place fenced for our two Australian shepherds, we are temporarily using one of those chain-link pens that are 4-sided, 10' long per side, 6' high, with one single gate. It worked fine until we started getting regular wind storms here. The howling and blowing scared our dogs, and they were easily able to tear away the chain link fencing from the frame so that they could run to our RV door and bark and bark and bark for help. We've now stopped that problem by putting 4' tall pieces of plywood around the perimeter of the pen. The dogs can still see out when they stand up, but they can't balance well enough to tear the fencing away from the frame. Also, we have started bringing them in when the winds kick up--it's easier on them and on us.
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Use them, yep, 8 sections per fence, each 24' X 24', but I have small kids. They come in a variety of heights. Some campgrounds will NOT let you use them. Purchased from one of the online catalogs, JB?? Not sure just which one anymore.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Did you know that you can use a wireless fence in campgrounds? DD has the wireless and it states in their paperwork can be used in campgrounds, parks, boats, etc. No fence, no leash, just the collar. You can set the area to be "fenced".
If anyone is interested in this, I can find out the name of the fence they have.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Sandy,
I'm interested. Please send me the info.
Thanks
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
It's called "Petsafe" wireless containment system. I think they got it from
Petsmart. You should be able to google Petsafe and locate it. If not, I'll
do some further checking for you.
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Thanks. I'll find it. Miya needs to go to Petsmart and get her fix anyhow. She puts her paws up on the cookie counter and points out which ones she wants. (Of course the pointing is to all)
Old 02-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
KKKK, gotta say, I am not in favor of this wireless thing in a campground, I don't want to start a flame war here, so, let me have my say, and I'll go away. SIGHHH

1.) some campgrounds really frown on any wireless stuff in their campgrounds, say it interferes with their wireless internet. I don't know how this would relate, probably not at all, probably different kind of "wireless" signals, so, on to number 2.

2.) I really get uptight, and OKKKK, I get really nasty to owners of dogs that are off leash in a campground. First, most if not all campgrounds say, dogs must be on a leash. I have been charged and attacked by dogs in every campground that I have visited since 1985. That is really true. Dogs, even those tied up, tend to charge out as you walk by, protecting their owners. I have had 2 dogs with collapsed trachea because they got yanked when I got charged by other dogs. Fact is, in most campgrounds, we don't even walk our dogs, cause of all the dogs that are not leashed or behave poorly. How am I going to know your dog is behind a wireless gate??

Please at least consider the other possible out comes of your putting up a wireless system in a campground.

Thanks for listening to my rant, now, onward to other good hints for our canine friends.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Carol,
I just finished reading the manual on the wireless fence. It appears that it is all in the training of the dog. Since that is the case, then the owner can train the dog to NOT do those things you mentioned and would not need a fence. I was curious in the wireless fence and was wondering about it's application.

My dog, when on a leash, is totally under my command. She is a play girl and loves to run up to people and jump up on them. I am working on breaking her of that, but she is of the "hyper," variety dog being Husky/Chow, and we think the dad was German Shepherd. (I'm getting to the fence point in just a minute, bear with me, and it will substantiate what you stated.)

Reading up on the fence, the collar controll will shut off after 30 seconds of "warning." My dog, and many, many other dogs, will not even pause when that warning goes off and they see another object they want to play with or attack. (Miya is not an attacker but can be intimidating.) As fast as a dog can run, they can be a pretty good piece down the camp road when 30 seconds occurs. So now what? Hmmm! No control, guess they can do or go where they want. Signal stopped! Didn't it?

The fence may have its uses, but I'm with you and don't think they should be in a crowded campground where distractions are all over the place. I'll keep Miya on a leash and maintain control.

Sandy, thanks again for the information. I just don't think it is what I want for the area we will be in.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:37 PM   #10
Skip
Established Member

M.O.C. #7808
Mrs Countryguy, I have to agree with you 100% ALL dogs should be kept on a leash. I'm talking the 6 foot or less type, not the 20 foot or more expandable type. In the past 2 years I have had people stop by to visit (which I enjoy) and bring their dogs. They let them run the full legnth of the leash and cause all types of problems. For example Usually the dog will get tangled in chairs, picnic tables etc. I have had them knock over my grill, with expensive steaks on, tiki lights that are lit and burn holes in my outdoor carpet, Get on tables and eat food or snacks that's for our guests. Also go to the bathroom, both #1 and #2 on our carpet, knock over drinks, sodas and on and on. I have also been bitten twice by dogs that their owners say would never do anything like that. I'm on blood thinners and regardless how small the bite it takes several minutes to stop the bleeding. My wife and I both like animals but the owners should be more responsible and keep a tight reign on them and not let them cause problems.. With all the problems I have had the owners usually just say sorry and leave with no offer to atone for the damage. Unfortunately, I now get up early and go knock on their camper doors and have them come over and clean up the mess while I have my coffee. If they refuse I notify the campground owners and have them take action (as you said almost all have rules about pets). Most are told to take care of the problem or move out. Pet owners, Please control your pets. OK End of RANT. Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:26 PM   #11
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
A leash 6 feet of less? For a big dog thats almost bordering inhumane. If Ive got a 20x40 site Im going to give the pet some room, not 20 feet but enough to move around anyway. My advice is stay off my campsite and you'll be just fine. I also think you need to consider the breed when discussing this topic, I dont see many 7 pound terriers drawing blood.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:03 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Snownyet,

6 foot leashes are required in many parks, clearly stated, leashes 6 foot or less.

Would respectfully request that if you want a large dog on a long leash on your site, maybe you could post a sign, "Large Dog, Long Leash". That way, I would know to stay away from your site, and you will be happy, your dog will be happy, I will be OK, and my little kids will be safe. Unless of course, your kid breaks his lead/leash. And just for the record, the times I have been attacked or charged, I was on the public road in a campground, NEVER in someones campsite. SIGHH

I had to laugh tho, remembering all the deep deep bite wounds I have had from 7 pound terriers, ohh, those were from my two females. And, Abby, rest her soul, could jump high enough to bite me on the backside when she was after Tilly (in my arms). I learned quickly that it was better to have Abby in my arms.

I am sorry this thread has deteriorated to angst. Pet ownership and maintenance gets snarly quickly. We love our pets, and others don't like owners that are not responsible, a sure fired way to get the dander up and the flames shooting. SORRY AGAIN.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:21 AM   #13
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
I have had the wireless fence at my house and have found it generally effective. However, both pooches have jumped it to chase birds and wild animals that range the small creek behind my house. In a fit of excitement, they have also jumped it when they have seen DW or me returning from a neighbors house.

Training consists of using flags to mark the perimeter. Those flags, in conjunction with warning signal emitted by the collar tell the dog where the boundary line is. I looked at the portable unit and opted against it because of the limited options in respect to size and configuration of the perimeter established (only circular).

If you are hop scotching across the country, seems like the learning curve the dog would have to go through at each new location would be more work than just putting them on a leash and walking them.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:48 AM   #14
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
I was just trying to be devils advocate. We dont have a big dog,we've got a beautiful little Havaneese. I was just reflecting back on the folks I see who have anxious dogs with short leashes and no room to move, and additionaly the fact that it annoys the heck out of me when folks wander around or pass through other peoples campsites when the occupants arent right there, it may not be my land but its my little piece of paradise for the weekend. If Im outside and a person walks up its a guaranteed fact that my dog, regardless of size will NOT be of threat to anyone and when Im gone, so is my pet. To my knowledge every campground we've been to has required a 10 foot leash, but Im sure theyre are plenty who want 6 feet and even some who dont allow pets at all, thats why its important to know the rules before you go. Regardless I know we'd never tie out a dog whith any length leash that would allow the pets to reach a public area, thats just irresponsible, which is what this whole thread boils down to....Being a responsible pet owner. Our pet is our only child and shes treated as such.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:11 AM   #15
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Since we have a wireless fence for our two dogs and have been using it at home and in the park where we winter I think they are great. We have the perimeter set to the edge of the grass and the road. The collar "beeps" when the dogs are getting near their limit and "zaps" them if the reach the limit. It only has to "zap" them a couple of times and they stay away from the road from then on. We cn now leave the collars off them and they will not go on the road. They are a training tool.
Carlsons had one on their lab when we first saw how one worked. The lab was a pup and with the collar on he would lie at the edge of his "limit" and watch the world go by.
We set the range for the area we are at. When home we set it for about 30' dia. as that is all they need. At our park, it is set for about 15' and it works great.
When I walk the dogs I use a leash.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Every campground that I have stay at had rules about pets and being on a leash. Six foot was stated in many of them, but some did not set a limit. However, every camp I stayed at had a rule that no pet could be left unattended. Does that mean you could not leave them in your RV when you went somewhere? I don't think it literally means that, but is in references, I did ask once, to being left outside unattended. That would include being tied up outside unattended.

I have a 20 foot rope with loops at varying distances so that I can shorten to 6 feet or lengthen out to 20 feet. However, regardless of what distance I have it set for, if she is outside, I'm there with her. If we are just running into town for groceries, she is in the RV, in her wire cage. As is she for other special events. Never for punishment.

Yes, I do worry about power failures and try to make arrangements with neighbors for her well being, or to call me with any concerns.

To leash or not to leash is a responsibility of the owner and in keeping with campground policy. I have had dogs that did not require a leash. I say that because if I called their name and told them to sit, come, stay, down, or any other trained command, it was immediately obeyed, regardless of the situation. My present owner (Miya) is not at that stage. (Yet!) So she'll stay leashed.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:04 AM   #17
jrhaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6999
We use a portable fence from www.digitpet.com. They have the cheapest prices and you can add more fence to enlarge them. Works great for Bayer, his little buddy Buddy, and Mr.B
jrhaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:46 AM   #18
EJH
Established Member

M.O.C. #7737
Traveled from NH to Alaska and back last year with two full grown Rottweilers 110 and 100 lbs respectively. Took the entire summer, May through September. Stayed at campgrounds across the US, Canada and Alaska. Walked the dogs around the campgrounds every day usually on an expandable single leash (2 dogs on one lead). Never had any problems with other campers, visitors etc. I have trained each dog myself, there was never any sign of aggression toward other dogs or people, nor would I allow any. An owner has a responsibility to train, manage and control their animals, and they are legally responsible to do so. Our dogs are never left tied outside the camper unless we are outside with them. On the other hand as I've walked around campgrounds with and without my dogs I have had camper's pets charge at me as I walk on the roadway, usually the smaller types, I call them yippy-yappers. The Rotties call them play chew toys. Some owners call out " he won't hurt you". others just smile and wave or the really inconsiderate ones simply ignore their animals behavior. I won't even comment on their lack of picking up the droppings left behind or when they pull out of their campsite.
Most of the campgrounds have rules about pets, I'll admit that at some we had Hound dogs http://montanaadministrator.forumco..../icon_mi_6.gif not Rotties.
Bottom line is that we are always responsible for our dogs behavior, no excuses for the bad actions of the animals, many times their behavior is after all a reflection of their owners.
Enough said, have to go out and finish shoveling the 3 feet of snow of the house roof.

ejh
EJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:31 AM   #19
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
This is how I'v been doing my fencing for years. you got to wait for sales it is costly but well worth the spend. I cut re-bar to 3 foot lengths and drive them into the ground then use tie wraps to hold the fence to them.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:31 AM   #20
kimmy99016
Established Member

M.O.C. #8228
Thanks for your help, I am really trying to come up with some creative ways to make sure the dogs are safe and easy to travel with. We are going to be taking them with us for our 9 month trip with the kids. I am doing some brain storming here...

Turn the master shower into a crate, put in water, doggie bed, etc.

Anyone use a screened in porch that attaches from the awning? If they were tent staked down I wonder if that would hold a dog or two oh ya or three

I like the portable fence idea, I think I would fence off our whole area so the puppies can roam around a bit, in our area of course. Even thought about making some sort of contraption to put in the back of the truck, using PVC pipe, wire fencing and zip ties... Even went so far so to try and come up with a portable dog yard to attach to the back of the 5th wheel and pull UNTIL I read the posts about double hauling... nipped that idea RIGHT in the bud.

I know I can use crates, I have two little dogs who have traveled with us since they were born, but my new big and "dangerous" breed dog has never traveled with us and is a bit of a home wrecker. Just brain storming, if one of my ideas is really bad, a gentle reprimand is much appreciated. Thanks!

kimmy99016 is offline   Reply With Quote